Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLeimana
Lunatic

Loc: By the Tum-Tum tree, in u...
Failed bulk with horse manure. Questions.
    #4161942 - 05/11/05 01:21 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

My first attempt at bulk cultivation using horse manure is a failure. I inoculated a gallon or so of pasteurized, unammended, horse manure with a quart of fully colonized substrate (ground corn cob, steer manure, coffee grounds and 10 grain flour with amaranth), which had been inoculated wih Orrisa India, on 4/29. On 5/9 there was no visible growth of either contaminants or mycelium. I will check again on 5/12, but have no reason to believe there will be any change.

Questions about what went wrong:

Moisture content. I pasteurized using (attempting) agar's h/poo tek. My substrate seems aliitle doughy. It is not soupy, but drips when I squeeze it gently (as opposed to firmly). This has given me a substrate that has no standing water, but tends to clump together, like mud. Should the manure have a texture that is more fluffy, like moist peat moss or coco coir, or a heavier texture, like it has?

Quality of the horse manure. The manure I used is field collected from a friends pasture. I live in a warm and damp climate, so even relatively fresh manure will age quickly, and within two weeks will resemble a layer of mown grass, as opposed to light or dark lumps. I collected the driest lump I could find, and some of the looser stuff as well, as long as it looked like chopped grass or hay. None of it had a urine or amonia odor, but rather an earthy smell with a slight broccoli undertone. As the manure was hydrated and pasteurized, the broccoli undertone became more distinct, but not overpowering. It is still present in the two week old substrate, and I am wondering if this is the tell-tale sign of something I don't want?

Question about what to do next:

If, as I expect, I find that on Thursday there is no visible growth of either contaminants or mycelium, can I toss this into a pillow case and re-pastteurize and try again? Or should I use it to fertilize the Psychotria and Banisteriopsis?

Thanks,

Leimana

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecarl
Revolutionary
Re: Failed bulk with horse manure. Questions. [Re: Leimana]
    #4161972 - 05/11/05 01:31 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Im relatively new at this and dont have experience with poo. But i think roadkill or agar would tell you that you need to mix in some wheat straw. It provides little tunnels for the myc to colonize throughout the poo. PLus it seems like you have to much water. So if you add wheat straw and let it drain longer i think you will have more success. ALthough i would wait for some more experienced advice.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #4161982 - 05/11/05 01:35 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds top me like your crap was too wet. I squeeze it firmly until water has almost stopped dripping out. After spawning it always looks too dry, but it colonizes beautifully.

Re-pasteurizing might work but I wouldn't bother - I have plenty of spawn and horse shit.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4162010 - 05/11/05 01:42 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

H/poo should have a very high fiber like look & feel. NOT a mud, or dirt look to it - at all.

What is ODD... about what you describe IS: The type of spawn you used. At the very least, some of the spawn on top the substrate - should have shown some growth.

I used WBS spawn..... colonized rock solid. Then broken up, allowed to heal a day or 3, then added to the substrate. With a few percent more spawn on top & bottom, than in the center of the substrate.

Your substrate might have also been a we bit more moist, than optimal.

Other than that & whatever the incubation temp was/is, darned if I know what went wrong.

I would gather more h/poo (nuggets & muffins), fan dry it BONE DRY & go again with a grain/wbs type spawn.

--------------------

InvisibleMrMaddHatter
Dementia praecox
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: Failed bulk with horse manure. Questions. [Re: agar]
    #4162041 - 05/11/05 01:51 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:
(nuggets & muffins)

:lol: I like the sound of that.

OfflineLeimana
Lunatic

Loc: By the Tum-Tum tree, in u...
    #4170842 - 05/13/05 12:46 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I used WBS spawn..... colonized rock solid. Then broken up, allowed to heal a day or 3, then added to the substrate. With a few percent more spawn on top & bottom, than in the center of the substrate.

Ok, I have a quart of Mestizo on WBS that I have broken up, and is resting back in the incubator. What signals you that it is ready to be spawned to your bulk substrate?

Thanks,

Leimana

Offlinejtk
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4170850 - 05/13/05 12:49 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

you can't just break up your WBS and spawn it to the poo? you have to let it heal for a few days after you break it up? I just broke up my WBS and spawned it to my outdoor poo bed. Will this work?

What do you put it in to heal to prevent it from contaming?

--------------------
Don't let your brain tell your mind it can't feel

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag