Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFungaleo
Enthusiast

New member with a passion for fungus needs help
    #4158425 - 05/10/05 06:52 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hi, This is my first post but I've been a long time reader here and even longer fungus aficionado. Ever since I was a little kid I remember always being fascinated with mushrooms and their powers, whether deadly or magical. I'm 23 now and over the past few years that fascination has become more of a hobby that has been ever since consuming my daily life. Unfortunately for me I live in the Sacramento area where there isn't much of anything worth hunting for when your looking for actives, other than Panaeolus Subbalteatus which I have yet to find. Whenever I get a chance and the time is right I take the two hour trip over to the bay and have on occasion found Ps Cyanescens which to this day is the only active mushroom I have found on my own.

My question is am I wasting my time looking for Pan Subbs in and around the Sacramento area? I've visited numerous horse stables without any luck whatsoever. All of my Pan Subb hunting has been restricted to horse stables. There are so many cow pastures in my area but from what I've read Pan Subbs don't grow in cow manure in my area. Is there any truth to this? The time is right and the temperature is perfect especially now and I was planning on going on a hunting trip later this week. But before I head out again and give up my hopes I need to know if I have a prayer. Can somebody fill me in?

Fungaleo

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: New member with a passion for fungus needs help [Re: Fungaleo]
    #4158482 - 05/10/05 07:10 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Welcome to finally posting, at the shroomery!

Panaeolus subbalteatus should grow in your area. Sounds like you are right on track for finding them, tho you may want to expand your searching to lawns and cow pastures, and also piles of compost from mushroom farms and other composting materials such as grass clippings..and also haystacks.

i'm not sure about in california, but here in florida i have found subbs growing from cow manure. but i have also observed that it is not all to common that they fruit from cow manure.

the weather that subbalteatus grow best is when it is hot and wet.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: New member with a passion for fungus needs help [Re: Fungaleo]
    #4159224 - 05/10/05 09:57 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

follow GG's advice.

P. subbalteatus [like many organisms witch have come to exploit mankind's societal waste products is not terribly common in it's natural habbitat. it is mutch more likely to be found in those areas gumby has mentioned and as you are seatching; in stable waste. it should be possible to find them this time of the year, as the rains have been falling with marginal frequency [at least since i've been back in the valley].

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: New member with a passion for fungus needs help [Re: canid]
    #4159480 - 05/10/05 10:46 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

There season in Oregon in rotted haystacks is almost over. Usually form Feb-May but not in the hot summer months and not as many int he fall as in the early spring after the first rains.

usually, compost heaps and haystacks, some can run a few hundrd yars and more than 16 feet in height, have tarps over them int he winter months and usually the tarps sometimes get blown off and that attracts spores.

So in the spring the shrooms fruit well. For some good pictures see the Shroomery's Ultimate Shroom Guide for PAnaeolus subbalteatus pictures by Angry Shroom of his compost heap in Claif.
mj

Offlinecucumel
Stranger
re [Re: Fungaleo]
    #4159558 - 05/10/05 11:07 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Why don't you grow your own mushrooms? It can be as interesting as hunting, or even more.

OfflineFungaleo
Enthusiast

Re: re [Re: cucumel]
    #4160052 - 05/11/05 01:17 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks everybody for the comments and suggestions. I'll definitely expand my search to cow pastures and haystacks. For once I feel like I'm getting close and I can't wait to get back out there. As for growing my own, well I would love to but ordering spores to California is illegal and I have no other way of getting them. I had a few Ps Cyanescens that I found but didn't get a spore print because at the time I had no knowledge on growing. If I could only get my hands on some spores.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: re [Re: Fungaleo]
    #4161683 - 05/11/05 01:56 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I live in santa cruz, and I find muscaria, subbs, cyanescens, and cyanofibs. Right now it's a little too warm here in cali for anything :frown:. But if you stick around and study up by the time fall-winter comes around you will be rewarded. Cali is usualy loaded with cyans during fall.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification