Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
so does the shroomermy want to make some money?
    #4155551 - 05/10/05 01:24 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

since im a business student i figure that i could help yall out, and brain storm some ideas here for you.

since the shroomery is allready owned by mind media which is an LLC??? if i recall correctly it is allready a few steps ahead.

ideas

the shroomery merchandise and hoodies werew a good idea. a shroomery "store" would be up there on the ranks. you can get quality hoodies and shirts and bandanas made cheap.

#2 Re-printing all fo the inportant teks and growing info into one book, a hard copy that could be sold. this could actually be picked up by a publisher without much troubble. allready borders and barnes and nobles carry ,in store, and will order marijuana growing books.

#3 another option that is more hign profile than these other ideas, and would could lead to problems, is renting out space at festivals to promote the shroomery. i.e. selling the grow book (s) and merchandise. handing out flyers on and busting the myths surronding mushrooms and psychadelics along the way.

#4 re-investing money left over from the supporter funds and vendor revinue into an ethnobotinacial shop, or spore business. although if you were to go with the spore business i would recomend re-locating the server outside the u.s along with the business.

#5 selling dvd backups of the site. i remember the other day someone talking about the relative size of the text and images on this site, and thinking that most of this site here could be fit on a dvd.
Quote:

The main database which contains all our documents is a paltry 21.4 MB. The BB database is the big one; the active DB is 1.7 GB and the archives are 566 MB. This is all just plain text in the database, images contribute a lot more to our disk space requirements. We have about 12 GB of image uploads on the BB and 390 MB of images in our gallery.

---- one of the admins... ythan i think

#6 increasing the number of visitors and vendors on the site, by creating a shroomery street team. this would be easy and effective. all you would have to do is print out some flyers and stickers. you can get 5000 business card sized flyers doubble sided and glossy for under $150 and that could be 5000 new members and some new supporters and vendors.
I know that i would love to pass on the word of this site and im sure that many others would be happy to contrubute to flyering and promoting the site at the many festivals and so on that we go to.

#7 Oficial shroomery gathering/concert. i have some expierence in this area. but basically the idea is to have to shroomery rent out a venue and have a concert or throw a party charging at the door. somewhat of a shroomery production crew. getting in on anything from jam bands to dj's

these are just ideas that i have. somem of them will bring more attention to the site, and some of it may be the kind that we may not want. but in the end i think that the main idea is to spread the message to the world, and to expand our comunity.

id be happy to assist in doing any of these things.

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Edited by zippoz (05/10/05 01:27 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: so does the shroomermy want to make some money? [Re: ZippoZ]
    #4155575 - 05/10/05 01:32 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

oohh and on the street team flyer we could bust some of the myths surronding mushroom and general psychadelic use, along with urging people to use responsibly, what to do in a "panic" situation and discouraging rumors..

actually if you think about it... with the amount of users on this site, we could actually go out in the world and have a significant impact on the psychadelic comunity. lots of potenital energy to do somthing great here...

--------------------
PEACE

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#4155632 - 05/10/05 01:49 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

thats heap loads of work.

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: so does the shroomermy want to make some money? [Re: Jim]
    #4155653 - 05/10/05 01:54 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

not really, the street team thing would be wasy as hell, adrug does kick ass graphic design. add $300 and you have 10,000 flyers and new vendors and suppliers

the dvd backups would be wasy as hell to and could be sold easily over the existing site....

--------------------
PEACE

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #4156916 - 05/10/05 12:07 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

You've got some good ideas. I hope to see some of them happen

:smile:

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #4156975 - 05/10/05 12:33 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Who's the shroomermy? :wink:

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Canada
    #4157091 - 05/10/05 01:07 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

the shroomery merchandise and hoodies werew a good idea. a shroomery "store" would be up there on the ranks. you can get quality hoodies and shirts and bandanas made cheap.

This is one of our tier 2 priorities, we have this project coming up in the next few months, hopefully fully running by mid summer. It will encompass a lot of cool shroomery items, hoodies, caps, mouse pads, etc..

Quote:

#2 Re-printing all fo the inportant teks and growing info into one book, a hard copy that could be sold. this could actually be picked up by a publisher without much troubble. allready borders and barnes and nobles carry ,in store, and will order marijuana growing books.

Something to consider, however we already have all this info online and most people would probably prefer to use the site for free instead of paying for the info. But there has been talk of putting together something a bit more interactive, like a CD.

Quote:

#3 another option that is more hign profile than these other ideas, and would could lead to problems, is renting out space at festivals to promote the shroomery. i.e. selling the grow book (s) and merchandise. handing out flyers on and busting the myths surronding mushrooms and psychadelics along the way.

Also something that has been discussed, and something we would like to get more involved in, spreading most importantly the type if info such as mushroom myths and safety amongst drug related festivals.  :thumbup:

Quote:

#4 re-investing money left over from the supporter funds and vendor revinue into an ethnobotinacial shop, or spore business. although if you were to go with the spore business i would recomend re-locating the server outside the u.s along with the business.

A topic that has been debated a fair bit amongst admins over the years, the general consensus is that we should not put ourselves into legal jeaopardy by doing this as even if we move our servers, most of our admins are in the USA where conspiracy laws would not look favorably on us providing an info site on drugs and then selling materials to grow them.

Plus our vendors have supported us for so long, it would be in bad taste to then go and compete against them all.

Quote:

#5 selling dvd backups of the site. i remember the other day someone talking about the relative size of the text and images on this site, and thinking that most of this site here could be fit on a dvd.

Definately something to consider on our shroomery store, we figured once we put all the major items out for sale then we can start to add litte niche items such as this on site as well.

Quote:

#6 increasing the number of visitors and vendors on the site, by creating a shroomery street team. this would be easy and effective. all you would have to do is print out some flyers and stickers. you can get 5000 business card sized flyers doubble sided and glossy for under $150 and that could be 5000 new members and some new supporters and vendors.
I know that i would love to pass on the word of this site and im sure that many others would be happy to contrubute to flyering and promoting the site at the many festivals and so on that we go to.

Also something we've talked about, and I agree that this is a great idea  :thumbup: The hold up is what people aren't quite aware of yet, and that is we are in the process of a new look for the shroomery, with that is a new logo and new site redesign.

Once those are done we can start our merchandizing and promote the new shroomery in events as well. It would definately be a situation where we send promotional material to key people throughout the US/Canada and the world for events :smile:

Quote:

#7 Oficial shroomery gathering/concert. i have some expierence in this area. but basically the idea is to have to shroomery rent out a venue and have a concert or throw a party charging at the door. somewhat of a shroomery production crew. getting in on anything from jam bands to dj's

Again something I'd love to see, however the big concern is law enforcement would be all over this like a cat on crack. We would prefer to support those individuals who organize gathering for shroomerites, such as the NE gathering which will be in its 4th year I believe. Draws less attention, but then again I really would like to see us hold events so we need to discuss this more :smile:

Thanks for all the excellent info, I will add your name to my list of potential shroomery 'reps' or whatever they will be called. Basically once we get our site and logo redesign done we will be gathering a group of people to help us promote locally at events and of course for bigger events where we'd likely start putting up booths.

For that I would really like to have the shroomery do something like Dancesafe which has small pamphlets that have truth about mushrooms to help combat misinformation by DARE and the like.

Anyways, so much cool stuff coming in our immediate future, and I think having our community be a big part of these things will make it really awesome :smile:

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: so does the shroomermy want to make some money? [Re: Thor]
    #4157141 - 05/10/05 01:23 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The hold up is what people aren't quite aware of yet, and that is we are in the process of a new look for the shroomery, with that is a new logo and new site redesign.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shhh shh shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: so does the shroomermy want to make some money? [Re: automan]
    #4157179 - 05/10/05 01:33 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

does that mean they are going to take the 1995 out of the main site?

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

Male

Re: so does the shroomermy want to make some money? [Re: automan]
    #4157180 - 05/10/05 01:33 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I was there was an :intrigued: smiley.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleYthanA
٩(●̮•̃)۶
Male

Loc: NY/MA/VT Border, USA Flag
    #4157432 - 05/10/05 02:27 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Edit: Damn Thor beat me to it but I hope this post is still useful. It's weird how we said almost the same thing hehe. :smile:

zippoz,

Thanks for this post, I think those are some fantastic ideas! As you mentioned, we're now legally incorporated so we should be clear to pursue any of these ventures. I wanted to take a moment to respond to your suggestions and maybe get some feedback.

1. Shroomery merchandise is definitely something we plan to pursue. At the moment we're working with an independent designer to come up with a new layout and logo which will hopefully allow us to provide a more unified and professional interface. Because our look will be changing in the relatively near future, we're waiting so we can produce Shroomery stuff with the new graphics. However, eventually we hope to expand merchandise beyond clothing to include things like shot glasses, ash trays, mouse pads, etc.

2. A book is a cool idea and something which is frequently requested. The reason we haven't moved forward with it is because of the difficulty getting approval to reprint all the copyrighted works it would contain. The teks on this site come from many sources across the internet and we never received formal permission to mirror some of them. This isn't such a problem when they're freely available to begin with, but if we were going to profit off other peoples' work it would only be right (legally and ethically) to come to arrangements with all the contributing authors. Even reprinting BB posts would be a problem since we've always taken the position that we're a common carrier and our members retain the rights to their submissions. With that said, I think an "Encyclopedia Mycologica" would kick ass, it's just that the copyright issues are daunting.

3. Renting space at festivals is an interesting idea and something I'd never really thought of before. I think it could probably drum up a ton of interest but I'm curious if the "street team" idea might accomplish the same thing faster and more cost effectively. However, it certainly doesn't have to be an "either/or" proposition and we could experiment to see what worked best. The biggest problem I see with this idea is actually finding someone to handle the whole process. I have no idea what's involved in booking and planning such an event but I imagine it could be fairly time consuming. Regardless this sounds like something which might be worth pursuing.

4. Investing in a spore business or ethnobotanical shop is something which has been in the back of my mind for a long time. It would definitely be a cash cow and is the easiest way I can think of to significantly grow our business. Several years ago we came close to partnering with a vendor to offer spores directly through the site, however we eventually abandoned the idea. The biggest problem with this, as you allude to in your post, is the sketchy legality of distributing both the information and supplies necessary for people to break the law. Like you said, we could move the server and business to another country, but I don't know that this would protect the American corporate officers from liability (we'd have to consult a lawyer). On a practical note, Vamp's our server guy and he's in Arizona. Also, if we were to start selling mycology or entheogen supplies, we'd probably take a large chunk of the market and this could adversely affect many of the vendors who have supported us over the years. We don't want to turn around and drive anyone out of business when they're the reason for our existence in the first place. For these reasons we've kind of stuck to our niche of just providing information. However, we are looking at expanding into other web sites, for example Rate My Pipe which we haven't worked on in a while but will be cool once it's finished. Vamp also had a good idea for drumming up business by making categories for headshops and glassblowers and encouraging them to point their customers at that site to rate their pieces. I don't really know why work has stalled, I think honestly everyone's just so focused on the Shroomery that we don't put a lot of effort into secondary endeavors. Eventually though, I think it would be very cool to diversify into a whole range of sites all under the Mind Media brand.

5. DVD backups are another product which has been requested in the past. The biggest hurdle here is technical in nature. If we provide static HTML on a DVD, we can't offer features such as BB searches and customized settings. If we want to offer dynamic content, we'd need to install and configure a bunch of software on the user's computer, including Apache, mySQL and PHP. Once we did that, we'd also need to go through and modify a bunch of our scripts and data for security purposes. Finally, we couldn't fit all the BB images on one DVD so we'd need to store only thumbnails and have users click to get the full image off the net. At that point I start to wonder why they aren't just browsing the site online to begin with. I dunno, with the proliferation of cheap broadband and wireless internet this kind of seems like a solution in search of a problem to me.

6. I think the street team is an excellent idea. It brings back memories of the Telluride Mushroom Festival in '99 when Suffer and I handed out hand-written Shroomery business cards to drum up some publicity. I'm not sure how effective it was but we did go on to become the biggest mushroom site on the net :smile:. Anyway I completely agree that this would be cheap and effective. I have no doubt that people would be glad to distribute some fliers for the site if they could get them easily and for free. I definitely think this would be worth the cost of printing and mailing for the targeted exposure we'd get. Again, the thing holding us back here is the site redesign - we want to incorporate any new design elements into our promotional materials so we can create a consistent presentation.

7. I've always thought an official Shroomery gathering would be absolutely badass, however once again legal issues have held us back. Basically I don't see how we could avoid liability for organizing an event which would basically be a bunch of people coming together to do drugs and party for a weekend (or longer). It seems like we'd have to have on-site security and first aid, pay hefty insurance fees and carefully limit attendees to 21 and over. Even then I can see us facing charges if something went wrong. You mentioned that you have some experience in this area so maybe you can offer some insight.

Anyway thanks again for the post, it brought up some interesting points and got me thinking. You seem like you have a clear vision for where this site could be headed and I'm very interested in your response and any ways you could help us out.

Peace,

-Y

Male

Re: so does the shroomermy want to make some money? [Re: Ythan]
    #4157448 - 05/10/05 02:32 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Woah...I've never seen that RateMyPipe website before...that's Shroomery-related?

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleYthanA
٩(●̮•̃)۶
Male

Loc: NY/MA/VT Border, USA Flag
Re: so does the shroomermy want to make some money? [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4157465 - 05/10/05 02:35 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah RateMyPipe was a concept I came up with and implemented over a weekend a few months back. Left it about 95% finished but it's definitely something I'd like to get going in the future.

Male

Re: so does the shroomermy want to make some money? [Re: Ythan]
    #4157482 - 05/10/05 02:38 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I like it a lot! When I'm at home tonight on my wireless if I get a chance I'll upload pics of my favorite sherlock.

Only thing I noticed is that it was jumping to the same pictures a lot. How many reg'ed users are there and how many pipes posted in total?

--------------------

-Erik Davis

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: so does the shroomermy want to make some money? [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4157651 - 05/10/05 03:18 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Just a few, test users.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: so does the shroomermy want to make some money? [Re: Anno]
    #4157942 - 05/10/05 04:38 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

as for setting any of this up, i would be more than happy to help, i have alot of time on my hands this summer, and could use some more expierence. i set up and ran 2 businesses so far, a landscaping company, and a snow removal company. most of which was just lining up clients and  getting contracts signed. but its still pretty aplicable.

another option i would like to mention is the leasing of the shroomery's name and logo to an independant contractor that would produce the merchandise i.e. hoodies and such and pay te shroomery a big fat royalty for the use of your name.

the same thing could be done for pretty much anythig else, you would just have to come up with a licencing agreement of some sort with some fun terms and so on.

as for the information distribiution i dont see why that cant happen over this summer. as it has been stated by me and hundreds of other  very active members oft his site, we are going to many many festivals this summer, and im sure that togeather we hit every state. if we could get somthing of a flyer/pamphlet like dance safe does im sure that it would be a great help.

oooohhhhh another idea. dance safe has a flyer on psilocybin i.e. nagis mushrooms that it hands out when it is testing pills. i think that they would be happy to have the shroomery re-design it and also carry our pamphlet as well :smile:

Quote:

I have no idea what's involved in booking and planning such an event but I imagine it could be fairly time consuming. Regardless this sounds like something which might be worth pursuing.

just say the word and i will get you a space. although many of them are really expensive. DEMF or fuse this year, is running about 2 grand. pricey but if you had the merch, you could make it back. i remember that last year a website called i hate white chicks was there selling t-shirts and probably made a lot of $$

somehow i have expierence in alot of these areas... odd life expierence i suppose. if you want any of this to get off of the ground i will happily get it floatingfor you in a matter of weeks, just say the word and ill have it done.

--------------------
PEACE

Edited by zippoz (05/10/05 04:49 PM)

InvisibleDark_Star
dick butterfly
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Under the Grecian fog
Re: so does the shroomermy want to make some money? [Re: Thor]
    #4158940 - 05/10/05 09:04 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Add me to that list as well, I'd love to help out. zippoz...great ideas man.  :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisibleadrug

#4161572 - 05/11/05 01:16 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I see you're volunteering me for graphics work, zippoz...wtf :smirk: All kidding aside though, if my assistance is needed I'd be happy to do it. Hear that guys? I can help you with your graphical graphications (:crazy2:) if need be, although I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out you have that covered already. Lots of talented folks around these parts!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback