Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner
Help! Think I am near total abhortion
    #4154962 - 05/09/05 10:30 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, long story short: AFOAF had cakes that were cased. Casings weren't fruiting due to temp jumping up and down to the extremes and lack of air exchange. Air purifier was introduced to the fruiting chamber.

The increased air flow dropped the RH to 20% and the casings are cracker dry. Temp got into the low 90's in the fruiting chamber today too. Air purifier is turned off.

If he dunk the casings can they still be saved?
Should he refrigerate when dunking?
Should he incubate after dunking to get the myc growing again?

Need answers ASAP, only a short time to work.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Re: Help! Think I am near total abhortion [Re: Smushroom]
    #4154967 - 05/09/05 10:32 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

wow! All you need to do now is drop it on the floor!

InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner
Re: Help! Think I am near total abhortion [Re: dr0mni]
    #4154982 - 05/09/05 10:37 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

actually there was a cake that pinned invitro that was added to the fruiting chamber as not ot waste it. It was dunked and rolled. When it was first added to teh chamber, it fell on top of the cool mist and got verm into the humidifier fan :smile: Bitch to clean.

OfflineGregHimself
Just a guyobssesed withshroomies.
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Re: Help! Think I am near total abhortion [Re: dr0mni]
    #4154987 - 05/09/05 10:38 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Hey the only thing you can really do at this moment is a nice long 24hr dunk in distilled water with a little hydrogen peroxide added to the water, say like 20:! water:h2o2

Giver a shot gunner and hope for the best. Refrig is not nessecary, nor is re-incubating.

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms(Third Edition)

InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner
Re: Help! Think I am near total abhortion [Re: GregHimself]
    #4155014 - 05/09/05 10:46 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, thanks.

What are the chances that being dried out killed the myc? Has probably been dry, 18 hours.

OfflineGregHimself
Just a guyobssesed withshroomies.
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
    #4155042 - 05/09/05 10:57 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

well...myc is fairly resiliant stuff
but at this point all u can do is try right?

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms(Third Edition)

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #4155080 - 05/09/05 11:07 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Those casings sound pretty badly abused; if they recover they'll fruit poorly if at all.

I would chalk this one up to lesson learned, toss them and start fresh. I hate wasting time with salvage efforts.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinecoolman256
z0rz0rz
 User Gallery
Re: Help! Think I am near total abhortion [Re: dog]
    #4155150 - 05/09/05 11:26 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

what I want to know is how the rh could possibly get down to 20%.  Even with lots of airflow, it should only go down to the ambient rh of the rest of the air where the grow is located, correct? And 90 degrees... yeeeeeesh, try a 15-20 degree drop and you'll be looking good.  If you have a meter that's reading 20% and your room air is not 20% rh (i sure would hope it isn't, i think most places are between 40-60% rh, somewhere around there "the comfort zone") I'd be sure to replace that meter ASAP :wink:.  Btw how did the cake fall on top of the cool mist? Im guessing the cool mist is inside the chamber?  I'd suggest modding the cool mist with a hose and placing it outside the chamber, that way it will blow fresh, moist air in the chamber, get your rH up and you won't need any air purification or whatever.  Although a lot of people will say a cool mist alone will only get you to about 85% rH, so you can spray every so often with a mister to boost it up that extra little bit.  Good luck on your, er, foaf's grows in the future!

InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner
Re: Help! Think I am near total abhortion [Re: coolman256]
    #4155229 - 05/09/05 11:50 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, for lack of cash the chamber is a homemade martha like setup. Coolmist is inside until a real martha is purchased. It was keeping RH at 80-90 but when the air purifier was on it pushed all the humid air out and the cool mist went dry. The chamber is in a semi-finished attic for now, no room elsewhere. The temp varies dependign on ambient temp andt he humidity stays around 30-40, really dry up there.

There are quarts of WBS ready to be cased but was hoping to salvage atleast one flush out of these and then using them for an outdoor bed when the WBS takes its place.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation