Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSilly_Cyben
not-quite-newbie

Loc: USA
Simple TEK detail questions
    #4150815 - 05/08/05 05:51 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I'm getting ready to try the Simple Method of Cubensis Cultivation. I have some questions about sterilization and inoculation.

Sterilization:

1. The TEK (the nicely detailed one with color photos) says to place foil over the jars after screwing on the punctured lids. However, the photo illustrations seem to show jars with foil peeking out from UNDER the lid. Under the lid seems better to me, especially if I want to store the sterilized substrates for a while before inoculating them.(http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7919/pag/2)

2. In canning one leaves the lids partially screwed on until after sterilization and cooling to allow expanding gasses to escape. But the TEK says to screw the lids on tightly before sterilization. Any comments on this?

Inoculation:

Flaming the syringe needle seems an effective way to sterilize the needle, but wouldn't injecting live spores thru a red-hot needle kill the spores? The TEK says to squirt some spore-water out the needle to cool it, "if you can spare it." Given the difficulty of obtaining spores in my state (CA), I doubt I can spare them. Any suggestions for quickly cooling the needle without compromising sterility?

I assume that an even better choice would be to use a completely new, sterile needle for each jar, if one had access to them. Most inoculation needles are 18 gage. Any thoughts about using 23 gage needs for the same purpose?

Thanks,

BroWilliam

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMighty Bop
Big Boy

Loc: Nowhere
Re: Simple TEK detail questions [Re: Silly_Cyben]
    #4150826 - 05/08/05 05:55 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

1. The foil under the lids was probably the Ramsey seal TEK.
2. There should be holes/filters on your jars before you sterilize, therefore allowing gas to go in/out of the jars.
3. I know what you mean about the syringe seeming like it would kill the spores, but that's why you let it cool before you inject.

Just use alchol to sterilize. It works fine :smile:

It seems like the bigger the needle gauge the bigger of a hole in the jar/filter therefore more of a chance of contamination.

--------------------
I got a buddy with United Fruit, get ya started...

Trade List

Edited by Mighty Bop (05/08/05 05:56 PM)

Offlinekratomboy
Drifter
 User Gallery

Loc: Nevada
    #4150868 - 05/08/05 06:13 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

If you arn't putting holes in your lids then you need to put them on loose so there's a way for the air to escape (rubber side up). Otherwise they might blow-up in the PC. If you are punching holes then you can screw on tightly since the air can get in/out through the holes.

I usually put the foil on top of the lids. It's not really meant as a contam reducing step, but to keep water from dripping on the lids and through the holes during PCing. If you were to put the foil on under the ring, you'd still have to have a way for air to move in and out of the jar as it's heating/cooling. I usually put holes in my lids, but then tape them... so I leave the lids unscrewed slightly during PCing. I also wrap in foil. Once pcing is done and the jars have cooled, I tighten the lids. I just leave the foil on until I'm ready to inoculate, and then inoculate through the tape, re-taping each hole afterwords.

--------------------
:kodama:"We must see that consciousness is neither an isolated soul nor the mere function of a single nervous system, but of that totality of interrelated stars and galaxies which makes a nervous system possible."

OfflineSilly_Cyben
not-quite-newbie

Loc: USA
Re: Simple TEK detail questions [Re: Mighty Bop]
    #4152163 - 05/09/05 12:08 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

When you say to use alcohol to sterilize, do you mean you recommend dipping the heated needle in rubbing alcohol to cool it quickly?

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #4152172 - 05/09/05 12:11 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Thats not what he meant, but that is how i cool my needles after flaming them. If you need some needles give me a PM, ill hook you up.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Offlinecaptmueller
chemical shaman
Re: Simple TEK detail questions [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #4152229 - 05/09/05 12:40 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

hey, hawksapprentice, im in oregon and id love to find some decent syringe selection...just not happy with the ones i found at coastal..
you mind if i pm ya for syringe details?

thanks

namaste,
captmueller

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale