Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Peat, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAscension
Stranger

Loc: Still trying to work it o...
Sterilize in oven
    #4151440 - 05/08/05 11:11 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

I dont have a PC and not really keen on getting one either. (student have no money)
Ive done a few sterilization in a pot with water but even with jars sittin on something in the pot the bubbling water ends up knocking them over or they get water inside or even once i left it too long and all the water boiled off and it burnt the rag black that was sitting on the bottom of the pot.

Im just going to make some basic PF cakes, in those 250ml size jars.
And i cant see why i cant just put this in the oven for say 2 hours at 100C. As long as their sealed nicely so no water escapes this seams like a much superior way to sterilize.

My question is, what temp is actually needed to kill the unwated contams? Water boils at 100C so im thinking 100C in the oven should be all is needed?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegoldtop57
Stranger

Loc: England
Re: Sterilize in oven [Re: Ascension]
    #4151564 - 05/08/05 11:35 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

I know that a pressure cooker keeps the consistancy of the held water in place in the substrate with pressure. Using an oven, you'll see the moisture want to raise like things do when then get heated. Probably not a good idea.

I've heard that the oven is a good place to sterilize stuff for spore prints though.

Anonymous

#4151573 - 05/08/05 11:37 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

Makes sense to me. Will probably dry the cakes out though. Though, rehydration with sterile water isn't too hard.

Also...might the substrate burn? I'm thinking maybe the water in a PC keeps things from burning, but I'm not sure.

Hmm...

Offlinemagicbastard
FlacidJohnson
Male

Re: Sterilize in oven [Re: ]
    #4151611 - 05/08/05 11:45 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

when we owned a deli we would put ceranwrap(cant spell so plastic wrap) and cover with tin foil and cooked it in the oven and everything was still moist inside and the plastic didnt melt. give that a try and see if it works.

Edited by magicbastard (05/08/05 11:59 PM)

OfflineAscension
Stranger

Loc: Still trying to work it o...
Re: Sterilize in oven [Re: ]
    #4151633 - 05/08/05 11:49 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

But like i said, ive never used a PC before, i just had a pot with a rag on the bottom for the jars to sit on and filled it up with water and put the jars in and the lid on top and boiled it.
If the jars are sealed properly then no water can escape, well im gonna give this a shot soon, ill let youse know how it goes if you want.

Also another idea i came up with is, make up a quick substrate and get it contaminated, incubate it and wait till you can see some contam growing then take the jar and nuke it (microwave) for about 10 mins or so and then put it back in the incubator. If the contams have stopped growing then the microwave has been succesfull in destroying the contams and this means to sterilize your jarz or whatever you want to sterilize all you have to do is put it in the microwave.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#4151996 - 05/09/05 01:24 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

If the jars are sealed properly then no water can escape, well im gonna give this a shot soon, ill let youse know how it goes if you want.

Pf tek cakes?...You're suppose to make four holes in the lid and cover w/ aluminum....

Water always escapes Somewhat, or comes in...

Boiling them/pc-in creates neg. pressure (canning things), so the holes prevent that and you typically lose a little bit of water, but it's never a big deal...

Quote:

you want to sterilize all you have to do is put it in the microwave.

If it worked so well then everyone wouldn't be so worried about buying Pressure cookers....It's not worth it, the contam. rate is much higher than Pc-ing or boiling....But do it at your own risk of contams....

Oh and if you boil it and shit grows in it...then obvisouly you did a lously job of boilng....The whole point is to make sure nothing else will grow in there :smirk:

But i know lots of people that let their jars sit for a week(er less) jus to see if cobweb is in there, then they boil again and don't really worry about it after then....

I use LC's so I don't really care all that much, the live myc. usually takes over everything rather quickly :thumbup:

Didn't mean to sound like an asshole, jus trying to point you in the right directions :thumbup:

Gl

-Gnostic

Offlinegratefulredhead

Loc: Off the map....
Re: Sterilize in oven [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4152192 - 05/09/05 02:24 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

pressure cookers at 15 PSI create tempratures of approximately 240 degrees F internally.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilize in oven [Re: gratefulredhead]
    #4152913 - 05/09/05 12:04 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

250 degrees actually. With PF though, you only need boiling water.

You cant seal jars to sterilize them or youll run into problems (creating a vaccum)

You also can't cook them in an oven, other then in a pot of water. Read the FAQ's under sterilization...theres a link for oven sterilization of jars that works as good as boiling.

But for craps sake, you can get a PC that will do dozens and dozens of jars at once for 20-50 bucks off ebay shipped to your door. And then you can stop working with the shitty PF tek and grow some real shrooms, since the lack of a proper sterilizer is the only thing that holds people back.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilize in oven [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4152978 - 05/09/05 12:30 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:

Great pin set & flush... dude :thumbup: :wink:

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilize in oven [Re: agar]
    #4152998 - 05/09/05 12:36 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

Thanks agar, just goes to show what some birdseed and poo can do. Peat based casing was needed too :wink:

LOL, I just noticed that picture even has both PC's I bought off ebay for a total of 50 bucks..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Peat, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation