Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Loc: The Womb of Love
Buddhism Overview to correct Misunderstandings
    #4150680 - 05/08/05 04:35 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Usually, when people say something like "The problem with such and such religion is" its never the religion that's at fault, but the misunderstanding that that person holds about the religion or spiritual tradition which is incorrect, i have found this to be true, time and time again, especially with regard to Buddhism because its such a vast religion which has manifested itself in so many forms within so many cultures, that its almost impossible to pin it down and say "This is Buddhism" other than to state the Four Noble truths and the 8 fold path which is common to all Buddhist traditions.However, since i am a practitioner and have some understanding of the essence of Buddhism, i feel obligated on this forum, where so many misconceptions about Buddhism are repeated time and time again, so shed some light on the basic levels and differences in practice related to the Buddhist path.

To start with, in Buddhism there are three main levels of practitioner (Hinayana, Mahayana, and Vajrayana), and within each level, there are many different forms, traditions and lineages of practice, which are all related to the individuals capacity to learn, understand and apply the teachings of the Buddha. In the Hinayana level, all the passions are renounced and many vows are taken to abstain from certain negative behavior which causes suffering to oneself and others,and to help control ones existence of body, speech and mind to help realize the wisdom mind. The meditations are  Shamata (Calm) practice and Vispassana (Insight), these two are practiced together to give rise to the realization for the benefit of the practitioner alone (in Hinayana leve; that is), this kind of practice is not without compassion but for the Hinayana practitioner there is this attitude of "I am suffering here in samsara, here is the path, I'm getting out of here", in this way the pratcioner attain the level of an Arhat (Foe destryer) who attan liberation fro suffering.

The next level of practitioner is Mahayana, these practitioners have the attitude of "I am suffering, but everyone else is also suffering, I'm going to get out of here, and take everyone else with me", as you can see this attitude is much more open, and requires a greater capacity, there meditation practice is Vispassna and Shamata, but they also practice the six perfections or paramitas, which are patience, diligence,  meditation, virtue, generosity, and wisdom to overcome ignorance and the passions associate with the negative karma's to reduce conflicting emotions.Shamata (Calm) practice and Vispassana (Insight) are used throughout all levels of practice. At this level the practioner becomes a Bodhisattva, attaining liberation for the benfit of all beings, helping  beings to be free from suffering. At this level the passions are not renounced as such, but are understood and remedied through the six perfections.For this level it is necessary to have a Spiritual Friend as a guide.

Next is the Vajrayana practitioner, which has the greater capacity to realize that Samsara and Nirvana are both two sides of the smae coin , and that everything is just the magical display of non-dual wisdom, as it is. The passions are not renounced but are either instantly or gradually transformed into their respective wisdom's, and all experiences are integrated into the state of enlightenment. For this level of practitioner it is of utmost importance to have a fully qualified enlightened Guru as a guide. This level of practioner attains complete Buddhahhod within one lifetime which enables the practioner to help beings on a limtless, infinte scale, e.g omnipotence.

So this is just a brief outline of what Buddhism presents, of course their is oceans more to it than this. At all levels, meditation is used to reveal the true nature of reality, as the cosmic dance of awareness, both movement and stillness aspects are uncovered nakedly. Its not just sitting quietly and observing, but taking part and dancing with life as well. In Buddhism the only limits to work with are within oneself, the religion doesn't impose any limits upon you, you just apply whatever teaching relates to the capacity of the individual to learn and apply a given teaching and practice. There are infinite methods within Buddhism to work with all the infinite situations in life, to discover our nature and bring us home back to who we are.

I hope this has cleared up a few misconceptions that people have about Buddhism in general. I would love to answer any questions related to this subject, or hear any views people have about it. :smile: :heart: :sun:

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

Edited by egghead1 (05/09/05 02:44 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Re: Buddhism Overview to correct Misunderstandings [Re: egghead1]
    #4150790 - 05/08/05 05:41 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Well, from reading the Tibetan Book of the Dead I remember that Hinayana, Mahayana and Varjayana are three different schools of Buddhism, rather than levels. Each with their own views of what is needed to attain enlightenment, akin to for instance Protestant, Orthodox and Catholic christians.

So, in your opinion, does every Buddhist have to go through all three levels? Or are they "sects"?

Edit: How about drugs and Buddhism? I assume, since you frequent these boards, that you occasionally dose. Are they compatible with the principles of Buddhism?

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Edited by Alan Stone (05/08/05 05:43 PM)

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Buddhism Overview to correct Misunderstandings [Re: Alan Stone]
    #4152439 - 05/09/05 02:41 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Stone said:
Well, from reading the Tibetan Book of the Dead I remember that Hinayana, Mahayana and Varjayana are three different schools of Buddhism, rather than levels. Each with their own views of what is needed to attain enlightenment, akin to for instance Protestant, Orthodox and Catholic christians.

Hinayana, Mahayana and Vajrayana are not schools of Buddhism but levels of practice. There are many school's within Buddhism so ill focus a little more on the Tibetan schools which I'm a little more familiar. In the Gelugpa School they practice is mainly Mahayana Sutra with a little emphasis on gradual Vajrayana (Tantra). In the Kagyu School they have a yogic tradition of Vajrayana practitioners although they also place some emphasis Monasticism with emphasis of Mahayana Sutras. In the Sakya School both Vajrayana and Mahayana are given more or less equal emphasis. In the Nyingma school great emphasis is given to the Vajrayana teachings with less emphasis on the Mahayana Sutras although they are seen as the basis and foundation for the higher teachings. As far is the practitioner is concerned its ones intention and attitude which suggests whether one is practicing Hinayana and Mahayana.

In order to practice the Vajrayana teachings you must have some basic foundation in the Mahayana practice and attitude. The Indian schools practice mainly Hinayana and Mahayana Sutra as do the Japanese and Chinese practitioners although the emphasis with Chinese and Japanese Buddhism is mainly on the non-gradual Zen practices which do not rely solely on the gradual accumulation of merit and wisdom but points toward non-dual emptiness from the beginning. The deference between Hinayana and Mahayana Buddhism is that in Hinayana the emphasis is upon rules and vows, whereas in Mahayana the emphasis is on ones intention and less upon strict discipline and vows to guide ones practice. Hinayana practioners are manily found in monestaries where they have something like 250 vows to follow and so on, but this does'nt mean that they arent practiing Mahayana or indeed Vajrayana teachings as well.

So, in your opinion, does every Buddhist have to go through all three levels? Or are they "sects"?

In my opinion a Buddhist does not have to go through all of the different levels progressively, it depends alot on the capacity of the practitioner. But in my opinion order to practice the Mahayana teachings one has to have some foundation of discipline within the Hinayana practices and to practice the higher Vajrayana teachings one has to have a some foundation of practice in the Mahayana teachings. But this isn't to say that one has to follow each level to the logical conclusion before progressing to the next, again it depends alot on ones capacity to learn and apply a teachings and to make the leap to the next level of teaching. But in all levels Shamata and Vispassana practice although sometimes called by different names are utilized within the Indian and Tibetan Buddhist teachings. With Zen the emphasis is non-gradual.

Edit: How about drugs and Buddhism? I assume, since you frequent these boards, that you occasionally dose. Are they compatible with the principles of Buddhism?

This is a tricky one, in Hinayana practice i would say no (alkthough it depends alot on the individuals pratice). In Mahayana i suppose it would depends on ones intention and in the Vajrayana teachings it depends on whether one can keep there awareness and pure vision whilst under the influence of the substance. For me i use magic mushrooms infrequently, and every-time it has kicked my butt into the meditation room, and shown me how my practice is and how much progress i still have left to make.

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

Edited by egghead1 (05/11/05 02:40 AM)

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #4152468 - 05/09/05 03:03 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Cool. Do I understand correctly if I say the strict rules of Hinayana are no longer necessary to evolve spiritually once one is ready for Mahayana practice?

Up for another round of Q&A?

Q: Does Buddhism have holy books? Are they unique to Buddhism?
To be more elaborate, is there any required reading if you want to become a Buddhist?

Q: Can you be both Buddhist and another religion?
So, is Buddhism a religion or a way of life?

Q: What deities does Buddhism have?
Does Buddhism have any real deities? Or are they considered archetypes of your own mind?

Q: Is vegetarianism required to be a Buddhist?

Q: What concepts should I know if I want to understand Buddhism?
Is there a glossary of terms?  :cool:

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Edited by Alan Stone (05/09/05 03:05 AM)

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4152487 - 05/09/05 03:32 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Stone said:
Cool. Do I understand correctly if I say the strict rules of Hinayana are no longer necessary to evolve spiritually once one is ready for Mahayana practice?

Thats correct, but most Mahayana practitioners who have gone through the Hinayana discipline, although they don't retain the stricts rules, keep the precpets of Buddhism pretty strictly, unless a situation directly calls for them to be broken in the service of benefitting others. But as i said before, in reality whether one is practicing Hinayana or Mahayana does'nt depend upon the rules aspect but more on ones intention toward practice.

Up for another round of Q&A?

To be more elaborate, is there any required reading if you want to become a Buddhist?

All Dharma books are considered holy, there are many many Buddhist scriptures, alot of which were smuggles out of Tibet during the Chinese takeover. It nessasery to read and listen to the Dharma at all levels of practice, but specificly if one is following Mahayana and Hinayana practice then the Sutras (words of the Buddha) are a must!

For some Buddhism is striclty a religion, for others its a philosophy of life, for others its a psycology of mind that can fit into any religion or tradtion, for the ones with eyes fully open its just a pure and simple spiritual path to full awakening. I know a Chistian practitoner who practices mindfullness meditation in her daily life, and considers it a godsend for her religious practice, so the general princples of Buddhism specifically the ethical, moral and practical aspects can in theory be praticed by anyone regardless of whether they consider themsleves to be a Buddhist or not. I personally believe that there is a middle way in all relgions.

Does Buddhism have any real deities? Or are they considered archetypes of your own mind?

Buddhism has many many deities (some say there are infinite enlightened wisdom dieties) .In general Buddhist deities are considered to be manifestation of the subtle levels our minds. They are utilized in Vajrayana practice for the transformation of the passions into the wisdom of enligthenemnt. The deities are considered to be as real as anything else, as in Buddhism everything is considered to be like an illusion, like a dream, like a cloudland, like a mirage, like the reflection of the moon on the surface of the water,.

In the Hinayana level its 100% required,(But there are some excepts for monks if the meat is offered), even in the Mahayana it is strongly advised, but in the Vajrayana practice nothing is rejected. But HH Dalia Lama suggests vegetarianism for all people who lack the capacity to place direct causes for liberation of the sentient being, being eaten (which is pretty much everyone). So in theory you should be a vegetarian until you have a very high capacity for benefiting sentient beings.

--------------------

Edited by egghead1 (05/09/05 03:51 AM)

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4152567 - 05/09/05 06:20 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

There isn't a book, like the Bible, that is required reading or the word of God, etc. There are a lot of reading materials, Sutras, that hold wisdom... but they are not a set of rules or laws that must be followed.

I can only speak for the Zen Center of Denver. They have a two day retreat once a quarter for people interested in becoming a Buddhist. During the retreat, which is during the day only, they teach you the basics of the Buddism, the idea behind the ceremonies, and talk about why they do what they do. They also have an open sitting every wednesday evening for the public.

It is more of a philosophy than a religion. I know a priest that is also a Zen monk.

None. The Buddha was a man and never claimed to be anything else. There is symbology to represent the different aspects of life (and death), but these are not considered Gods or anything special.

No, a common misconception. Many do practice vegatarianism, but it is not required. I know more than one monk that eat meat.

Q: What concepts should I know if I want to understand Buddhism?
Is there a glossary of terms?

Just like any religion, Buddhism has lots and lots of flavors. Shop around until you find one that you like. The basic idea is the same for all, but the path they take to get there can be very different. Also, remember that a Buddhist monk is no different than you or I... not some kind of saint or holy person... but a person with wants and desires and the capacity to make mistakes.

Most of the teachings I know are from the Zen school and may be a bit different than what others think. As I said... many flavors. If you want a good introduction, try reading "The There Pillars of Zen"... ([url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0385260938/104-9924923-3419127?v=glance[/url]) it contains both descriptive text along with example 'case studies' that can help explain a lot. Another good book is "The Accidental Buddhist" ([url]http://www.randomhouse.com/boldtype/0299/moore/excerpt.html[/url]) which cronicles the travels of an American author as he tries to discover what Buddhism is all about.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#4152605 - 05/09/05 07:06 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

the three levels of practicioner is an innaccurate viewpoint.

everyone is at the same level (but in different places) and each method can be pursued to the same intensity of realization.

the three schools or branches of buddhism are merely cultural distinctions but at the same level, as ideas of the path yet each temple and stupa has its distinctions.

early on one may shop for features or robe color, or a particular teacher or chant may be appealing - to whom are these aspects appealing?

the simmilarity of these paths is of essence.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Buddhism Overview to correct Misunderstandings [Re: Seuss]
    #4152753 - 05/09/05 08:37 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:

There isn't a book, like the Bible, that is required reading or the word of God, etc. There are a lot of reading materials, Sutras, that hold wisdom... but they are not a set of rules or laws that must be followed.

I can only speak for the Zen Center of Denver. They have a two day retreat once a quarter for people interested in becoming a Buddhist. During the retreat, which is during the day only, they teach you the basics of the Buddism, the idea behind the ceremonies, and talk about why they do what they do. They also have an open sitting every wednesday evening for the public.

This is true, although in the Hinayana vehicle their can be many vows and rules, but one takes them upon onself to see which ones apply to their own condition. Id say the precepts are pretty much a standard pracice throughout, althought there is always room for many mistakes and its not like someone is imposing rules upon you, its more that you take the precepts when you understand the pricnicples of non-violence and use them as a guideline for your daily life to support your practice.

It is more of a philosophy than a religion. I know a priest that is also a Zen monk.

To some people its more of a religion than a philosophy, you cannot generalize in such a way and call it more of a philosophy, when to some it is purely a relgion and to others it is something else

None. The Buddha was a man and never claimed to be anything else. There is symbology to represent the different aspects of life (and death), but these are not considered Gods or anything special.

You are only comming from the viewpoint of Sutra, Mahanyana and Hinayana vehicles. In Tantra their are many wisdom deities, but these are not worshiped, but utlitzed to quickly develop the capacity of the practioner. The symbology represent the gross and subtle aspects of the awakenined energy of the Buddha Mind and its many manifestations.

No, a common misconception. Many do practice vegatarianism, but it is not required. I know more than one monk that eat meat.

There are certain exceptions in the case of monks. But generally throughout all of Buddhism, it is advised that one should eat a vegetarian diet

--------------------

Edited by egghead1 (05/09/05 01:36 PM)

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Buddhism Overview to correct Misunderstandings [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4152765 - 05/09/05 08:42 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
the three levels of practicioner is an innaccurate viewpoint.

everyone is at the same level (but in different places) and each method can be pursued to the same intensity of realization.

the three schools or branches of buddhism are merely cultural distinctions but at the same level, as ideas of the path yet each temple and stupa has its distinctions.

early on one may shop for features or robe color, or a particular teacher or chant may be appealing - to whom are these aspects appealing?

the simmilarity of these paths is of essence.

You are correct and now i see that i used the wrong wording, i should have said vehicles instead of levels. Each school has differences on how they approach the essence of the Dharma. Some emphasise a more gradual approach, some non-graudual, others emphasis both equally and cooperativey. There are many differences between sects and traditions, but the essence is always the same.

--------------------

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4152886 - 05/09/05 09:49 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Keep in mind there was alot of competition and debate over which "school" or "branch" or "vehicle" of Buddhism was the most correct.

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Buddhism Overview to correct Misunderstandings [Re: Vvellum]
    #4153011 - 05/09/05 10:40 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Thats right. But really, if there is any debate, all that has to be done is to go back and check up what the Buddha said, this ususally settles the matter pretty fast. But its best not to get involved in such meaningless debate at all, as all this does is shows how well you've understood the Dharma 'intellectually'.In essence there is no debate, there is nothing to say, if you have real understanding, words are just words and you know that all sounds die in silence.

Edited by egghead1 (05/09/05 01:37 PM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#4153438 - 05/09/05 01:06 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

my new vehicle is using less gas, and is less intimidating to look at.

--------------------

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4153533 - 05/09/05 01:47 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Is this your chosen vehicle by any chance? It uses no gas, its not in the least bit intimidating, and as an added bonus, its a stylish, snazzy and reliable Mercedies SL. You must be the envy of all your friends at playtime :lol:

--------------------

Edited by egghead1 (05/09/05 01:54 PM)

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4153693 - 05/09/05 02:39 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Oh yeah, and as far as drugs are concerned, Guru Padmasambhava gave a discorse in which he stated 6 negative energies that can block ones prgress in spiritual practice. I think they were as follows, Tobacco, Cannabis, Opium, Cocaine, Khat, and i cant for the life of me remember the last one  :blush: sorry!  Ill have to ask my teacher next time i see him, but im sure that none of the major hallucinogenic substances were mentioned.  :grin:  :mushroom2:

--------------------

Edited by egghead1 (05/09/05 02:54 PM)

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#4153709 - 05/09/05 02:46 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

The problem with such and such religion is... that it's just another system of control, and one that is self-centered rather than life-centered... "What can I do to stop my suffering?"

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Buddhism Overview to correct Misunderstandings [Re: moog]
    #4153732 - 05/09/05 02:53 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Well, the Mahayana idea is more of "What can i do to relieve my suffering so that i can relieve the suffering of all sentient beings who are in this infinte ocean of samsara". I mean how can we help other sentient beings to be free form suffering, if we are not free from that condition ourselves? The problem with your view of religion is that maybe you see it as some kind of external force impsoing some system of control upon you. In Buddhism the idea is to be free, completely free and open, you have to apply whatever methods you need free yourself and eventually help others toward that freedom also. Its not as if there is some kind of rule that is applied to everyone, that is not the Buddhist way, you first have to look at yourself with open eyes and discover what works for you, free yourself from suffering, and then you will be free and have the cacpcity to help others discover the same situation of inner freedom and happiness. :heart:

--------------------

Edited by egghead1 (05/09/05 03:11 PM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#4153736 - 05/09/05 02:54 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

egghead1 said:

Is this your chosen vehicle by any chance? It uses no gas, its not in the least bit intimidating, and as an added bonus, its a stylish, snazzy and reliable Mercedies SL. You must be the envy of all your friends at playtime :lol:

nahh, that was one of the intimidating versions, i could not use it without causing a stirr. I like the hat tho

--------------------

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4153769 - 05/09/05 03:02 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
Quote:

egghead1 said:

nahh, that was one of the intimidating versions, i could not use it without causing a stirr. I like the hat tho

:lol: What about this one? Im sure this one is more up your street. Its certainlty less intiminating and its a well made german car. :wink: :sun:

--------------------

Edited by egghead1 (05/09/05 04:02 PM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#4154358 - 05/09/05 05:27 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

yes
I'm much more inclined to the yellow bug school of buddhism

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #4154535 - 05/09/05 06:21 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

egghead1 said:
Usually, when people say something like "The problem with such and such religion is" its never the religion that's at fault, but the misunderstanding that that person holds about the religion or spiritual tradition which is incorrect,

I stopped reading right their. :tongue:

Let archaic beliefs die. Their is a problem if it is so misunderstood and interpreted to such a wide degree isn't it? :yesnod:

I don't see the need to base my life on old doctrines of human conduct that are used by those that require a direction and a schematic for their life.... :shrug: Odd that people have seemingly forgot how to live without others telling them how to.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Buddhism Overview to correct Misunderstandings [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4154636 - 05/09/05 06:50 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I don't see the need to base my life on old doctrines of human conduct that are used by those that require a direction and a schematic for their life.... Odd that people have seemingly forgot how to live without others telling them how to.

I see your point but let's not forget everything we know was based on old doctrines of culture, language ect. So all of our thinking is somewhat based on the past. Still each of us gets to take all that learning and put it together in ways that suit us best. Religions don't often allow for that.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4155013 - 05/09/05 08:46 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

After Buddha was dead, his shadow was still shown for centuries in a cave - a tremendous, gruesome shadow. God is dead; but given the way of men, there may still be caves for thousands of years in which his shadow will be shown. And we- we still have to vanquish his shadow, too.
-Nietzsche

From reading the tone of your posts, it seems to me that you believe most people taking issues with Buddhism do so because of ignorance of Buddhism rather than problems with the philosophy itself.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Buddhism Overview to correct Misunderstandings [Re: Icelander]
    #4155477 - 05/09/05 11:00 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

:yesnod: But ah.... lifestyles centuries old, that are outdated and contradictory just aren't my style.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
-Substance over Style.

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Buddhism Overview to correct Misunderstandings [Re: Ravus]
    #4156173 - 05/10/05 03:01 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
From reading the tone of your posts, it seems to me that you believe most people taking issues with Buddhism do so because of ignorance of Buddhism rather than problems with the philosophy itself.

Yes! Most people are taking issues with Buddhism either through direct ignroance or misunderstanding. What problems do you see with Buddhist Philosophy?

--------------------

Edited by egghead1 (05/10/05 10:36 AM)

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4156222 - 05/10/05 03:15 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:
Quote:

egghead1 said:
Usually, when people say something like "The problem with such and such religion is" its never the religion that's at fault, but the misunderstanding that that person holds about the religion or spiritual tradition which is incorrect,

Maybe you should have read on a little bit, you might have learned something :tongue:

Let archaic beliefs die. Their is a problem if it is so misunderstood and interpreted to such a wide degree isn't it? :yesnod:

No, the problem is in the general ignorance and misunderstanding by the individual, not the religion itself (take the fact that you only read the first line of the post as an example of such ignorance) . Buddhism is a living knowlege which is still very much alive today, Its not the beliefs that are the main emphasis of Buddhism, but the individuals understanding of the esssential wisdom that lies within ourselves as a presently untapped source of abundant love, freedom and happiness, thats the main point of Buddhism, inner freedom and happiness.

I don't see the need to base my life on old doctrines of human conduct that are used by those that require a direction and a schematic for their life.... :shrug: Odd that people have seemingly forgot how to live without others telling them how to.

You are in charge of your own human conduct, that is the Buddhist way, there are no doctrines other than the Vinaya for monks that state any strict rules to follow at all. Its totally up to the indidivudal if, how many, or what guideleines apply to him/her. Judging by the state of the planet today, and where the human race is heading in general, id say we have deifinilty forgotten how to be truly happy human beings, at peace with ourselves, others and our environment. Buddhism is'nt about others telling you how to live your life, its about looking within and discovering how you are, and how to be free from suffering.

Edited by egghead1 (05/10/05 04:02 AM)

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4156226 - 05/10/05 03:17 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:
:yesnod: But ah.... lifestyles centuries old, that are outdated and contradictory just aren't my style.

Like i said before,. changing ones lifestyle is'nt that important. Whats important is that you understand who your really are and live in that state of knowlege beyond all gross and subtle mental conditioning which gives rise to suffering.

--------------------

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

#4156628 - 05/10/05 08:32 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:

The Buddha taught about the mind, how it works, and a way to relate to it that can minimize suffering and facilitate happiness.

The Mind doesn't change with history, so his teachings are eternally relevant.

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4156641 - 05/10/05 08:39 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:

And then return to those beliefs in 500 years through science?

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Buddhism Overview to correct Misunderstandings [Re: Noviseer]
    #4156967 - 05/10/05 10:30 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Noviseer said:
Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:

The Buddha taught about the mind, how it works, and a way to relate to it that can minimize suffering and facilitate happiness.

The Mind doesn't change with history, so his teachings are eternally relevant.

Exactly! The way the mind functions is the same, so the teachings are eternally useful and applicable.

--------------------

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4156996 - 05/10/05 10:39 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Thats right. But really, if there is any debate, all that has to be done is to go back and check up what the Buddha said, this ususally settles the matter pretty fast.

You should look more into the history of Buddhism. "What the Buddha said" is also up to debate as there many different versions of his teachings as well teachings that are attributed to him that historically did not happen - the teachings of the Mahanyana school were pretty much made up in later centuries after his death.

Quote:

But its best not to get involved in such meaningless debate at all, as all this does is shows how well you've understood the Dharma 'intellectually'.In essence there is no debate, there is nothing to say, if you have real understanding, words are just words and you know that all sounds die in silence.

I agree. That is why I think the greatest teaching is when the Buddha simply smelled the flower and said nothing. That is why I a student of Zen.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#4157032 - 05/10/05 10:48 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

timeless

(artifacts of the yellow bug school of buddhism)

--------------------

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4157055 - 05/10/05 10:54 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:
Quote:

Thats right. But really, if there is any debate, all that has to be done is to go back and check up what the Buddha said, this ususally settles the matter pretty fast.

You should look more into the history of Buddhism. "What the Buddha said" is also up to debate as there many different versions of his teachings as well teachings that are attributed to him that historically did not happen - the teachings of the Mahanyana school were pretty much made up in later centuries after his death.

Quote:

But its best not to get involved in such meaningless debate at all, as all this does is shows how well you've understood the Dharma 'intellectually'.In essence there is no debate, there is nothing to say, if you have real understanding, words are just words and you know that all sounds die in silence.

I agree. That is why I think the greatest teaching is when the Buddha simply smelled the flower and said nothing. That is why I a student of Zen.

Yes Zen is nice, as it is a pure and direct expression of Buddhism without the intellectual intanglement. Plus its non-gradual, so you can realize yourself pretty fast. As for debating what the Buddha actaully said, ill leave that one for the pundits to squabble over, the true Buddha rests in our hearts  :wink: :heart:

--------------------

Edited by egghead1 (05/10/05 11:18 AM)

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4157064 - 05/10/05 10:56 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
timeless         

(artifacts of the yellow bug school of buddhism)

:lol:

--------------------

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4159700 - 05/10/05 09:56 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

exactly.
polemics? no thanks.
opening yourself up? always.

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4160249 - 05/10/05 11:57 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

egghead1 said:
Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:
Quote:

egghead1 said:

Maybe you should have read on a little bit, you might have learned something :tongue:

No, the problem is in the general ignorance and misunderstanding by the individual, not the religion itself (take the fact that you only read the first line of the post as an example of such ignorance) . Buddhism is a living knowlege which is still very much alive today, Its not the beliefs that are the main emphasis of Buddhism, but the individuals understanding of the esssential wisdom that lies within ourselves as a presently untapped source of abundant love, freedom and happiness, thats the main point of Buddhism, inner freedom and happiness.

You are in charge of your own human conduct, that is the Buddhist way, there are no doctrines other than the Vinaya for monks that state any strict rules to follow at all. Its totally up to the indidivudal if, how many, or what guideleines apply to him/her. Judging by the state of the planet today, and where the human race is heading in general, id say we have deifinilty forgotten how to be truly happy human beings, at peace with ourselves, others and our environment. Buddhism is'nt about others telling you how to live your life, its about looking within and discovering how you are, and how to be free from suffering.

:lol: I see no point whatsoever in relying on a doctrine as a crutch to attain these "epiphanies".

:shrug: If you like the belief, or need to do so, more power to you.

Quote:

egghead1 said:
Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:

Like i said before,. changing ones lifestyle is'nt that important. Whats important is that you understand who your really are and live in that state of knowlege beyond all gross and subtle mental conditioning which gives rise to suffering.

Limitations give rise to suffering. Buddhism is a passive-aggressive way of having little to desire so little can effect you. It's not all bad, it's not all good. It's just unnecessary to utilize; I prefer common sense and moderation, to following a mandated lifestyle that is good as it is suggested to be.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Buddhism Overview to correct Misunderstandings [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4160292 - 05/11/05 12:10 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

OldWoodSpecter said:
Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:

And then return to those beliefs in 500 years through science?

What makes you think that science will go back to those beliefs? Either way it's irrelevant, I'll be dead.

I'm not against everything preached, but I'm not wholly agreeable with it either. If you need to follow a belief system whatever its foundations are to sustain yourself, then use it; I'd rather contrive my own on a daily basis :smile:.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4160612 - 05/11/05 02:14 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:
Quote:

egghead1 said:
Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:
Quote:

egghead1 said:

:lol: I see no point whatsoever in relying on a doctrine as a crutch to attain these "epiphanies".

They are not to be used as a crutch, in fact the whole point in buddhism is not to be conditioned by anything, even the teachings themselves. The teachings are like a map, showing you the way, thats all, they are never to be used as a crutch or something to lean on, they are meant to be used as a guide to cure the illness of suffering

:shrug: If you like the belief, or need to do so, more power to you.

What belief are you talking about?

Quote:

egghead1 said:
Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:

Limitations give rise to suffering. Buddhism is a passive-aggressive way of having little to desire so little can effect you. It's not all bad, it's not all good. It's just unnecessary to utilize; I prefer common sense and moderation, to following a mandated lifestyle that is good as it is suggested to be. 

Buddhism is a way of going beyond our psycological limitations that arise in depednance upon our conditioning. You obviously know very little about Buddhism if you think its a passive agressive path, in fact within the Vajrayana system, desire and the passions are seen as a kind of rocket fuel to facilitie realiaztion,so to say that Buddhism is about passive aggressive reisistence of desire is totally incorrect, in fact understanding desire is considered most importanat,  then the desire naturally transforms into wisdom via the use skillfull means. Did'nt you read my post? There is no mandataed lifestyle within Buddhism, you are your own best teacher, all that is requested is that you discover who you really are and remain in that knowelge, by using the time honoured and tested methods layed out by the Buddha, namely the eight fold path to enlightenemnt. All the rest are just helpful fascilitaters, for instance if you have a problem controlloing alcohol, and this is effecting your pratcice, then you take a vow to abstain from alcohol, its really quite simple, and everything is totally down to your own awareness of how you are, and what methods you need to utilize to discover your Buddha nature

Edited by egghead1 (05/11/05 02:33 AM)

Invisibleninjapixie
 User Gallery

#4160715 - 05/11/05 03:30 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I saw this thread, tried to say nothing but failed. I am not a buddha.

--------------------
Put that monkey back in the oven.

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Buddhism Overview to correct Misunderstandings [Re: ninjapixie]
    #4161346 - 05/11/05 09:46 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

:lol: You are a Buddha, Really! All sounds are born from and die into silence, so really you said something that came from nothing soon became nothing again.  BTW as far as i have been told, the Buddha didn't actaully smell the flower, he just picked it and held it up. What he expressed with that gesture goes beyond all words and concepts, and it is said that only one discple who was there undertsood the real meaning. :wink: :sun:

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #4161370 - 05/11/05 09:52 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Just a note on translation. People tend to say Buddha said "Life is Suffering" or "I am suffering."

he did not say this. he said "Life is dukkha" Dukkha is a sanskrit word that literally translated means something like "a wagon axle out of alignment"

so its not suffering that the buddha says life is, but just out of balance. this correct translation i think gives a much better idea of what buddhism is about.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4161385 - 05/11/05 09:57 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I like Buddism as a philosophy, at least in it's fullness, it goes well beyond most peoples perceptions of what it's about. But it is just one of many I can get along with.

I find that as a religion it is prone to many of the failings of all the other religions. So I reject it.

I think each and every person is supposed to work out their own salvation, in their own werd way. Especially Doom.  :mushroom2:

--------------------

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    #4161516 - 05/11/05 10:56 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for this thread. Very insightful.

I have a few questions.

Why is a guru or teacher necessary? Can't I follow my own path myself? No outside rules, all mine, right? Do as I will is the whole of my law?

On the issue of gods, you say they are mostly the mind's subtle manifestations. But when people break the cycle of samsara, do they not ascend to a spirit existence, to help people of this world? Interaction with them is more than one with our minds' subtle manifestations, no? Does Buddhism truly not believe in the possibility of communicating with a host of different life forms the universe is permeated with on different levels?

I'd appreciate if you can ask your teacher what the sixth negative drug is. :smile: I'm surprised about tobacco, as I thought shamans used it heavily. Can you say anything about this?

How does Buddhism consider reality? The Nameless Tao atop, then the Tao which is often perceived as the interplay of the Yin/Yang? Is the Nameless Tao essentially existence or non-existence, or both? I realize this last point is a matter of how we perceive the Nameless Tao, and even the different schools dispute it I think. But I'm still interested to hear your take on it.

What about shamanism and magic? Does Buddhism advocate refrain from the convention that must be dabbled in and manipulated to experience these paths?

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Buddhism Overview to correct Misunderstandings [Re: the_phoenix]
    #4161536 - 05/11/05 11:02 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

a teacher might help you understand how
your will and your path can come together in peace
as they are not the same, the will is a tiny thing, and your path is all creation from your interactively changing point of view.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4161601 - 05/11/05 11:25 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

What about shamanism and magic? Does Buddhism advocate refrain from the convention that must be dabbled in and manipulated to experience these paths?

Check out the Bon, pre Buddhist religion of Tibet. Also, I think that some groups of Buddhists use psychedelic drugs on their path.

Good point about tabacco. There are some Shamans who do solely tobacco divination. The Buddhist didn't know about them I guess. :grin:

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#4161690 - 05/11/05 12:01 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

if you have a shaman teacher whom you trust implicitly then he is your guru and your path is not complicated by other rules.
I hope this teacher can point out how you find your path naturally and how doing that is distinct from more trivial and artificial issues (melodrama etc.).

--------------------

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4161728 - 05/11/05 12:13 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

the_phoenix said:
Thanks for this thread. Very insightful.

I have a few questions.

Why is a guru or teacher necessary? Can't I follow my own path myself? No outside rules, all mine, right? Do as I will is the whole of my law?

In the Vajrayana vehicle, the Gurur is indispensible for pointing out the nature of mind to the student, to enable him/her to practice in a perfect way from the beginning. Ypou can foolow whatever practice you like, its not nessasery to have a guru to practice Buddhism at all.

On the issue of gods, you say they are mostly the mind's subtle manifestations. But when people break the cycle of samsara, do they not ascend to a spirit existence, to help people of this world? Interaction with them is more than one with our minds' subtle manifestations, no? Does Buddhism truly not believe in the possibility of communicating with a host of different life forms the universe is permeated with on different levels?

Gods within Buddhism are considered to be  samsaric beings like us, but they are more powerful and completely distracted by indulgence in temporary pleasures. But if you are referring to deities, within Buddhism they are enlightenend beings, and manifestations of the subtle level of mind. You see withnin a non-dual perspective there is no consideration between subject and object so in a way these being do exist in relation to others, but ultimatley they are nothing more than the pure manifestation of our natural state. Within buddhism there is some consideration given to respecting all beings, seen and unseen, and if your capacity is quite developed, then communication for the purposes of teaching to bring benefit can be possible with beings from other demensions, but rarely is this spoken about if ever practcied officially and if it is so, its only be the highest and most skilled masters of buddhism, as some beings are quite negative and that energy needs to be controlled to some extent.

I'd appreciate if you can ask your teacher what the sixth negative drug is. :smile: I'm surprised about tobacco, as I thought shamans used it heavily. Can you say anything about this?

Shamanisn is different to Buddhism in many ways, access to other demensions is a key focus within shamasism, as is wrestinlg, overpowering and conquering negtaive spirit influences for the benefit of practice and giving relief and benefit to whomever is being disturbed by them. Tobacco as we all know has many many negative effects on the human body, so im not suprised by its cosnideration as negative, as we can all see on the relative level just how horrible the drug can be. I will ask my teacher next time is see him what the sixth is.

How does Buddhism consider reality? The Nameless Tao atop, then the Tao which is often perceived as the interplay of the Yin/Yang? Is the Nameless Tao essentially existence or non-existence, or both? I realize this last point is a matter of how we perceive the Nameless Tao, and even the different schools dispute it I think. But I'm still interested to hear your take on it.

In Buddhism it is geenrally considered that this reliaty is like an illusion, that is perpetuated by karmic actions created through acts based upon ignorance of our natrual considition which is all pervading emptiness which is pregant with the infitie potential for manifestation. Nirvana is seen as the end of suffering, the end of ignorance, it manifests from clearly seeing into the nature of the mind and all phenomena.

Before Buddhism, in Tibet there was a deeply rooted Shamanic traditon called Bon. it still exists today although it has been greatly influenced by Buddhism almost to the extent of becomming just another means to the same ends. there were two main sects in Bon, the White Bon and the Black Bon. The white Bon was the medical and beneficial side to it, where respecting ones envoronment, makingm offerings to local beings to keep the peace, and communciation directly with the beigns who controlle the elements, for the benefit of growing crops and protection whilst crossing vast stretches of the Tibtan Country. The Black Bon was mostly associated with black magic, catsing speels of misfortune and whatnot, to get revenge against enemies, communciating with negative energies and contorlling them for ones own benefit. The main Bon around nopw is the Eternal Bon traidion, which has many similarities to Buddhism. When Gurru Padmasambhava came to Tibet to introduce Buddhism, there was alot of resistence and influences form negatvie spiritus trying to prevent its introduction, Gurru Padmasmabhava's power was such that he taught and subjected these beings, who eixts even today as Dharma protectors within Buddhism who help protect the teaching and the practitioners. In Buddhism, refrain from the negative energy plants that i posted before is advisory, as they block ones progress, due to their negative influence over the indivudal. With reagrd to maigc, magic rites are most common within Vajrayana , and there are many rites associated with,health,  long-life, protection, purifiying the elements, dealing with negative distrubances, ghost busting :lol: and many many others. It is said that many great masters could walk through mountains, fly through the air, walk on water, and many other such feats, due to there stable realization of emptiness. Buddhsim does not promote such feats, they are just the natural effect of realization and not the main point at all.

--------------------

Edited by egghead1 (05/11/05 01:01 PM)

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4161747 - 05/11/05 12:18 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Also, I think that some groups of Buddhists use psychedelic drugs on their path.

Isn't that true egghead?

--------------------

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

#4161763 - 05/11/05 12:22 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Thank you for that, to all who replied.

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4161865 - 05/11/05 12:59 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Also, I think that some groups of Buddhists use psychedelic drugs on their path.

Isn't that true egghead?

Im not sure about groups, bu i would be interested if you could provide a link. I know a few individual Buddhist practioners (including myself) who choose to use Mushrooms occasionaly as well as peyote, but ive never heard of any Buddhist group doing them inclusively of thier spiritual practice, perhaps you can poiitn me in the direction of that group.

--------------------

OfflineDoom
Rogue

Loc: ghost-train city
    #4161875 - 05/11/05 01:04 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

hmm, buddhists consuming chemicals to give them supercharged sensory experience...

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Buddhism Overview to correct Misunderstandings [Re: Doom]
    #4161889 - 05/11/05 01:08 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Buddhists taking magic mushrooms to help disolve the layers of conditioning is a more likely assumption.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4161892 - 05/11/05 01:09 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I will PM you, with info.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4161897 - 05/11/05 01:10 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Right! :heart: :mushroom2:

--------------------

OfflineDoom
Rogue

#4161900 - 05/11/05 01:10 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
salvation, in their own werd way. Especially Doom.  :mushroom2:

My upbringing contained basically, zero christian content, so the idea of salvation doesnt really factor into my psychic architecture. But I guess you could say my salvation lies in the elevation of me and my crew.

OfflineDoom
Rogue

#4161909 - 05/11/05 01:11 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

egghead1 said:
Buddhists taking magic mushrooms to help disolve the layers of conditioning is a more likely assumption.

the conditioning brought on by the endless repitition of mantras? or are these -new born- buddhists who grew up in the suburbs?

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4161918 - 05/11/05 01:14 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Doom said:
Quote:

egghead1 said:

the conditioning brought on by the endless repitition of mantras? or are these -new born- buddhists who grew up in the suburbs?

Maybe all conditioning.  And what the fuck does it matter where they come from. :mushroom2:

--------------------

OfflineDoom
Rogue

#4161926 - 05/11/05 01:17 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

because where a person comes from details what kind of conditioning they have endured.

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4161940 - 05/11/05 01:20 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Mantra has many functions, none of which is to condition the mind, all of which are related to disolving the layers of conditioning. I don't know why i even bother replying to your posts sometimes. :rolleyes:

--------------------

OfflineDoom
Rogue

#4161947 - 05/11/05 01:23 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

you reply, but you avoid the issue, what conditioning are buddhists trying to dissolve?

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4161948 - 05/11/05 01:23 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Doom said:
Quote:

Icelander said:
salvation, in their own werd way. Especially Doom.  :mushroom2:

My upbringing contained basically, zero christian content, so the idea of salvation doesnt really factor into my psychic architecture. But I guess you could say my salvation lies in the elevation of me and my crew.

I wasn't talking about christian salvation. And for you and yer crew. Good luck with all that. :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4161953 - 05/11/05 01:24 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Doom said:
because where a person comes from details what kind of conditioning they have endured.

Oh I though you were making a point. :mushroom2:

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#4162053 - 05/11/05 01:54 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

one "buddhist" has a Yahoo group for meditating on psychedellics and maintains it is the only right way - that the buddha did it - that he has documents proving his declarations - and he will listen to no arguments about it: just preach preach preach...

Personally I think he comes from good genetic preacher stock and once he got a glimpse of something on mushrooms and he is now repeating his "satori" in a most christian way he knows: mushroomic buddhistic fundamentalism.

--------------------

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4162064 - 05/11/05 01:57 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Oh thats does'nt sound too pleasing, fundamentalism of any kind is not good.

--------------------

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4162831 - 05/11/05 05:02 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

The belief that one needs to rely on beliefs e.g. Buddhist philosophy.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4162846 - 05/11/05 05:10 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:
The belief that one needs to rely on beliefs e.g. Buddhist philosophy.

Not at all, go read some Buddhist Philosophy and then come back and apologize for your ignorance. : :evil: :grin: :smirk:

The Buddha said : Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. Do not believe anything because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and the benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.  :heart:

--------------------

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4162878 - 05/11/05 05:20 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

:lol: You should be apologizing for your ignorance if you suggest that I'll recieve some epiphany from reading it... I know myself and I don't need a crutch.

You should be apologizing to me, at least let me know when your able to live without a crutch.

I suggest reliance on your own potential, versus adopting idealogies because they seem to fit and put the pieces of your puzzle together.

:shrug: Sorry, I'm more into unique perspectives and outlooks, and evolution of character and beliefs, not clinging to the same old tired refrain.

I'm not wholly against Buddhism, yet not totally accepting of it, same way with the good ol' book. You should utilize his teachings on the doctrine he espouses. Be a bit more critical, then again you're free to do as you wish...

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Invisibleninjapixie
 User Gallery

#4162925 - 05/11/05 05:36 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Buddhists who defend buddhism are attached to their method of finding detachment.

Who the fuk stole my nachos?
Stoned without munchies :frown:

--------------------

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4162935 - 05/11/05 05:37 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:
:lol: You should be apologizing for your ignorance if you suggest that I'll receive some epiphany from reading it... I know myself and I don't need a crutch.

When did i suggest such a thing?

You should be apologizing to me, at least let me know when your able to live without a crutch.

You should be apologizing to me for assuming and suggesting that I'm living with any crutch :lol:

I suggest reliance on your own potential, versus adopting ideologies because they seem to fit and put the pieces of your puzzle together.

I suggest you quit making assumptions and actually read the words of the Buddha on the above post. Then you might understand something about the Buddha's teachings, and you may also understand how your previous comment is untrue. My personal spiritual endeavor and intention is to smash all the puzzles to reveal how things really are, without any pieced together, idealized picture of the myself and the world. 

:shrug: Sorry, I'm more into unique perspectives and outlooks, and evolution of character and beliefs, not clinging to the same old tired refrain.

Do you want a shiny golden medal or something? How you live your life is fine and dandy with me, but why go ignorantly pissing up my leg just because you find faults with something you obviously know very little and take no time to actually learn anything about  :evil: :smirk:

What leads you to believe that I'm clinging to anything at all? Are you sure that's not just another one of those false beliefs that you are clinging to? :lol: :smirk: :heart:

I'm not wholly against Buddhism, yet not totally accepting of it, same way with the good ol' book. You should utilize his teachings on the doctrine he espouses. Be a bit more critical, then again you're free to do as you wish...

After observation and analysis, when i find  anything that agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and the benefit of one and all, then i accept it and live up to it. That is how i have and will continue to apply the Buddha's teachings.  :sun:

Edited by egghead1 (05/11/05 06:03 PM)

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4162944 - 05/11/05 05:39 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ninjapixie said:
Buddhists who defend buddhism are attached to their method of finding detachment.

Who the fuk stole my nachos?
Stoned without munchies :frown:

Im not defending anything at all, im just pointing out ignorance and misuderstandings.

--------------------

Invisibleninjapixie
 User Gallery

#4162973 - 05/11/05 05:43 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

You talk too much.

I bet you stole my nachos too didn't you?
I summon a posse of pixies to play operation on your soul.

--------------------

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4163016 - 05/11/05 05:50 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ninjapixie said:
You talk too much.

I bet you stole my nachos too didn't you?
I summon a posse of pixies to play operation on your soul.

Ahhh No! the pixies are commin....... :lol:

And yes i did steal your natchos, they were very tasty with that deleicious pixiedip.  :heart: :wink: :sun:

--------------------

Invisibleninjapixie
 User Gallery

#4163051 - 05/11/05 05:56 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Sacrelige!!

Eating pixies is bad karma.
you will be reincarnated as an unsalted corn chip (not one of those fancy cheese flavoured ones).

--------------------

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4163063 - 05/11/05 05:58 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

:lol: As long as i get to be dippied in pixiedip, a Corn chip's life aint half bad  :wink:

--------------------

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

#4163387 - 05/11/05 07:08 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Psychoactive, perhaps you don't need a crutch, but what about a tool? Or is Buddhism so threatening to you that you cannot appreciate and use it without emotional attachement? Perhaps you could stand to learn some Buddhism! :tongue: I mean no offense, but it just seems you're coming off as on the attack in this thread.

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4163525 - 05/11/05 07:32 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

egghead1 said:
Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:
:lol: You should be apologizing for your ignorance if you suggest that I'll receive some epiphany from reading it... I know myself and I don't need a crutch.

1) When did i suggest such a thing?

2) You should be apologizing to me for assuming and suggesting that I'm living with any crutch :lol:

I suggest reliance on your own potential, versus adopting ideologies because they seem to fit and put the pieces of your puzzle together.

I suggest you quit making assumptions and actually read the words of the Buddha on the above post. Then you might understand something about the Buddha's teachings, and you may also understand how your previous comment is untrue. My personal spiritual endeavor and intention is to smash all the puzzles to reveal how things really are, without any pieced together, idealized picture of the myself and the world. 

3) Do you want a shiny golden medal or something? How you live your life is fine and dandy with me, but why go ignorantly pissing up my leg just because you find faults with something you obviously know very little and take no time to actually learn anything about  :evil: :smirk:

What leads you to believe that I'm clinging to anything at all? Are you sure that's not just another one of those false beliefs that you are clinging to? :lol: :smirk: :heart:

4) After observation and analysis, when i find  anything that agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and the benefit of one and all, then i accept it and live up to it. That is how i have and will continue to apply the Buddha's teachings.  :sun:

1) You imply it by taking offense when anyone says anything negative about your Buddhism and further, how you promote the belief.

2) Well, apparently you are... you're not following a Buddhist way in your argumentation, or are you just another person that cuts and pastes their beliefs onto the template they prefer while ignoring others? You should know exactly what I'm referring to, if you don't.... well, your Buddha would be ashamed of you.

3) You'd be surprised how aware I am of it... I don't judge anything unless I know it to a substantial degree... I don't like gold, I prefer silver, that's irrelevant though. I was commenting on how the belief is good in certain aspects, yet falls short in many others... sorry you can't take criticism. I know you're clinging to it, else you wouldn't be so adamant in your debate tactics, which, really isn't a Buddhist approach... but I'm sure you know that, since you apparently possess delusions of grandeur which are a direct result of your enlightenment.... good job on your ego-loss. :bow:

4) so pick and choose? Fine, ironic that you take offense when I make the same suggestion in regards to adhering to a belief system.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Edited by Psychoactive1984 (05/11/05 08:14 PM)

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#4165210 - 05/12/05 02:20 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:
Quote:

egghead1 said:
Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:

1) When did i suggest such a thing?

2) You should be apologizing to me for assuming and suggesting that I'm living with any kind of crutch :lol:

3) Do you want a shiny golden medal or something? How you live your life is fine and dandy with me, but why go ignorantly pissing up my leg just because you find faults with something you obviously know very little and take no time to actually learn anything about  :evil: :smirk:

4) After observation and analysis, when i find  anything that agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and the benefit of one and all, then i accept it and live up to it. That is how i have and will continue to apply the Buddha's teachings.  :sun:

1) You imply it by taking offense when anyone says anything negative about your Buddhism and further, how you promote the belief.

I took no offense, i was just pointing out your ignorance. Buddhism belongs to knowone my friend, Im not trying to promote anything.

2) Well, apparently you are... you're not following a Buddhist way in your argumentation, or are you just another person that cuts and pastes their beliefs onto the template they prefer while ignoring others? You should know exactly what I'm referring to, if you don't.... well, your Buddha would be ashamed of you.

What exactly is the Buddhist way of argument, im inrigued by this, perhpas you can offer me a link to an appropriate source or scripture? What beliefs are you talking about? Im really quite interetsted now, your utter vagueness seems to be increasing with each post. Im sure if i have made any mistakes, the Buddha would be compassiionately forgiving of them. But im pretty sure, im not the one who's done most of the ignoring on this thread. I wonder if you actually read much of the original post? :lol:

3) You'd be surprised how aware I am of it... I don't judge anything unless I know it to a substantial degree... I don't like gold, I prefer silver, that's irrelevant though. I was commenting on how the belief is good in certain aspects, yet falls short in many others... sorry you can't take criticism. I know you're clinging to it, else you wouldn't be so adamant in your debate tactics, which, really isn't a Buddhist approach... but I'm sure you know that, since you apparently possess delusions of grandeur which are a direct result of your enlightenment.... good job on your ego-loss. :bow:

If you had even some basic knowlege of Buddhism, you would,nt have made half the comments you have thus far. Again, what belief are you referring to? Your being extremely vague about all this, how about some specifics? How do you know that im clinigng to anything? Do you have some special extra sensory perception that enables you to see how a person is through there post? Becuase if you think you do,then either you are very delusional or your E.S.P radar must be off by a long shot, you should try and retune it to get a better reception.:lol:

I think the only ego, that anyone can see clearly and work to overcome is their own, i personally would never presume to know if ego processes were running through your mind or not, becuase frankly, i don't know you and any assumptions id make about your ego would either be a projection of my own, or just pure speculation

So tell me again, what is the Buddhist approach to debate tactics? Im unfamiliar with the Buddha ever expressing or giving any teachigns on this matter, please feel free to enlighten me with your knowlege and wisdom? I find your posts very amusing, thanks for the chuckle. :lol:

4) so pick and choose? Fine, ironic that you take offense when I make the same suggestion in regards to adhering to a belief system.

I took no offense my friend, it was all said in good humour. But what exactly was i meant to pick and choose? One last question, what debate tactics do you think im so adamantly using? This has been very amsusing, i hope to debate with you again soon, but next time, try to debate on a topic that you actually have some knowlege about, then it might be a little more interesting and less vague and amusing  :grin: :heart:

--------------------

Edited by egghead1 (05/12/05 03:02 AM)

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
    #4172081 - 05/13/05 06:03 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

* Ped affectionately passes his torch to egghead.

I hope these people teach you as much as they've taught me. :smile:

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Buddhism Overview to correct Misunderstandings [Re: Ped]
    #4172087 - 05/13/05 06:05 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Ped said:
* Ped affectionately passes his torch to egghead.

I was kind of hoping to get to know you. Peace, and Love. :heart: :mushroom2:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale