Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Laminar Flow Hood

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
how to use cardboard cultures to inoculate grain jars and how to use a liquid culture to inoculate
    #4149507 - 05/08/05 09:38 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Hey all shroomers and shroomettes,
i posted about cardboard cultures earlier and i wanted to show someone how easy it is to use them. NOTE: This was done in a well lysoled down environment but should definitely be done in a glove box or next to a flow hood!!!!

First, here are my home sterilized grain jars (PC'ed 45 minutes at 17 psi)

Second, here are some of my tools in my work area

Here is my liquid culture

Ok let the steps begin:

Tek 1: Liquid Culture Inoculation

1. Shake up the jars to loosen the grain. make sure there are as little clumps as possible!

2. Fill up a pre-sterilized syringe with 10 or 12 cc's of liquid inoculant.

3. In each of the four inoculation holes (just like the pf tek) inject 1 cc. Make sure u flame the needle then cool off with an alcohol swab in between jars. My jars are slightly drier before hand to make up for the added water content.

4. Tape up the holes and put into incubation chamber. Notice though that i stuffed each lid with polyfil for air exchange. I don't have tyvek nor can I find any otherwise I'd use it.

Tek 2: Cardboard Culture Inoculation

1. First dip your scalpel in alcohol and then flame it lightly.

2. Scrape up a section, about the size of a nickel or quarter, of mycelium tissue and get it on the scalpel blade.

3. Then transfer it very quickly to the jar by opening the lid. Make sure you wedge it in between the glass and the grain so you can see whats going on later.

4. Dip and flame the blade again. Repeat the process for each grain jar.

5. Screw the lids back on and put in incubator.

I hope someone uses this as it is very helpful! YOU'LL NEVER NEED ANOTHER SPORE SYRINGE AGAIN!

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Edited by lordoftheshroomz (05/08/05 10:55 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Re: using cardboard and liquid cultures to inoculate grain jars *pictorial* [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4149532 - 05/08/05 09:49 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

???
I dont get it mister!

Why 4 inoc holes in the grainjar? Also you posted you LQ pic 3 times. Or was that on purpose?

Taped holes arent very good in air exchange, better to use tyvek over the holes.

Maybe its good to tell for the newbees how you make your LQ and your cardboard mycelium!

Good effort though!!! :thumbup:

MF

--------------------

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Re: using cardboard and liquid cultures to inoculate grain jars *pictorial* [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #4149535 - 05/08/05 09:53 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

sry bout posting the lc pic 3 times ill fixe that right away!

yes 4 holes in grain jars!

there is polyfil in each jar lid so i have plenty of air exchange.

--------------------
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

OfflineJazzMatazz
addict

Loc: Vienna, Austria
Re: using cardboard and liquid cultures to inoculate grain jars *pictorial* [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4149582 - 05/08/05 10:18 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

if you tranfer the cardboard "really quickly" why do i use a syringe to tranfer the liquid mycelium? Im doing one right now, and am speculating that if i dump in enough then it should spread quicker than any contam...
but thanks for the write down.

--------------------
Perception is limited to consciousness.Expand it and unfold other realities.

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Re: using cardboard and liquid cultures to inoculate grain jars *pictorial* [Re: JazzMatazz]
    #4149598 - 05/08/05 10:26 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

these are two seperate teks one for liquid culture inoculation and one for cardboard culture inoculation sry for the confusion

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

#4149814 - 05/08/05 12:26 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Ah I c, but one hole is enough you can squirt the solution in and shake the jar. Or squirt in 5 directions (I do 0,5 cc to each direction and 0,5 in the middle). Optionally shake.
More inoculation points is more risk for contamming but, hey if you are happy with it...! :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Re: using cardboard and liquid cultures to inoculate grain jars *pictorial* [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #4150519 - 05/08/05 05:28 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

i used to think shaking the jars after inoculation was a good idea but agar pointed out a good point is that u want to be able to see the growth begin against the glass so u can see what is going on. and how is more inoculation points more risk for contamination? i would think it would be less if u flame and swab the needle in between jars or holes.

--------------------

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep
OCD = 100%Sterility :-)

Loc: One Inch ↑
    #4150546 - 05/08/05 05:34 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

>>> and how is more inoculation points more risk for contamination?

With only one inoculation point you run the risk of introducing a contaminated needle once. With 4 inoculation points you have more room to screw up, and 4 chances to introduce contaminates. All you need is one inoculation point to fuck up your jar, so keeping the number of inoculation points down to a minimum reduces contamination risks...

edit: Also, when inoculating with liquid cultures, the growth will be much faster. The initial reason for several points of inoculation is for multi-spore syringes. The spores need time to germinate, and will spread faster givin several points of germination in the substrate rather than just one. But when working with LC, it will spread fast enough to negate the positive aspects of multiple inoculation sites.

--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Edited by NeedMoreSleep (05/08/05 05:38 PM)

OfflineGatorB
Stranger
Loc: Southeast Tennessee
    #4150555 - 05/08/05 05:37 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

thanks! This is a very informative post. I will be adding it to my favorites. I did the PF Tek my first time and am working on casing those. I was wondering HOW I was gonna get more spore syringes, didn't want to order offline again. Now I know... Always heard about LC but never really know what it was about... this seems very easy and less time-consuming. Again, thanks.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: how to use cardboard cultures to inoculate grain jars and how to use a liquid culture to inoculate [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4150557 - 05/08/05 05:37 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

With liquid inoculate, I would suggest one single hole in the lid, near the center of the lid. That way - you simply insert the syringe, squirt 1/2ml in each corner & one down the center - by swiveling the needle in a circle - inside the jar - without pulling it out - until finished. That minimizes open air contact to the needle.

--------------------

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Re: how to use cardboard cultures to inoculate grain jars and how to use a liquid culture to inocula [Re: agar]
    #4150568 - 05/08/05 05:41 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

ok i didnt think of using only one hole that way but all my jar lids already have 4 holes in them anyway so i jsu use em all anyway

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

#4150595 - 05/08/05 05:50 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Be4 I never shook my jars, but now I use a combination of something agar mentioned once. Cool that you named him cause he uses one inoc hole in this example and squits in 5 directions.
Then you can shake, or not.
I do that nowadays and I had quarts colonising 100% in 6 days. With 2,5CC of sporeliquid (instead of 4), only one hole, and I shook them once or twice during incub.

Ofcourse entering your jar with a syringe only once is less contam risk then doing that 4 times.

MF

--------------------

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#4150609 - 05/08/05 05:55 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

now i see wut u mean about that, i was only thinking about making sure u get the solution to run down the sides and i didnt think about using only one hole for that mainly cuz all my jar lids already have 4 holes in them. now i will only use one hole and use 5 directions thank you for the informative responses i jus hope my teks helped ppl as much as u guys did me

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Laminar Flow Hood

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation