Home | Community | Message Board

Radical Mycology Book by Chthaeus Press
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Agar, Autoclave, Coir, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGatorB
Stranger
Loc: Southeast Tennessee
How do you guys who use microwaves for pasteurization do it?
    #4148222 - 05/07/05 10:26 PM (12 years, 18 days ago)

Today I bought a large microwave-safe glass bowl, but there is no way I'm gonna be able to fit ALL of my casing substrate into one bowl. Is it okay to break it up and pasteurize three or four times in the same bowl? The only thing that worries me is letting the already-pasteurized substrate sit while more is in the microwave.

Or should I just say fuck it and throw it all in a pillowcase and boil in a large pot?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: How do you guys who use microwaves for pasteurization do it? [Re: GatorB]
    #4148228 - 05/07/05 10:28 PM (12 years, 18 days ago)

jus say fuck it and throw it in a pillow case and pasturize NOT BOIL in a large pot. pasturization occurs at about 175 degrees farenheit give or take about 5 degrees

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

OfflineHengman
Small timeGrower
 User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
    #4148243 - 05/07/05 10:33 PM (12 years, 18 days ago)

hard to say. but i've heard from the people at my old job who are like health freaks that a microwave zaps all the nutrients out of food so the food loses lots of nutritional value. it'll prolly be the same with your substrate. i really dont know about this because i've been living off microwaved food.
another way to pasteurize is to bake your substrate in the oven at 300 for like 30mins then add your boiled water then maybe further sterilize by boiling it again.

--------------------

The beautiful Cambodian Psilocybin Cubensis.

Feel the colors. See the sound.

My Personal Setup

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #4148246 - 05/07/05 10:34 PM (12 years, 18 days ago)

"casing substrate" Two different functions, these words don't go together. What are you trying to do here, sterilize substrate or casing material?

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Re: How do you guys who use microwaves for pasteurization do it? [Re: Hengman]
    #4148247 - 05/07/05 10:34 PM (12 years, 18 days ago)

u dont wanna sterilize a bulk substrate!!!!!!! if u wanna kno why read the FAQ's!

--------------------
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

OfflineGatorB
Stranger
Loc: Southeast Tennessee
Re: How do you guys who use microwaves for pasteurization do it? [Re: Holydiver]
    #4148255 - 05/07/05 10:36 PM (12 years, 18 days ago)

Okay, sorry, I'm pasteurizing my casing materials, which is 50/50+. I guess I'll go to Kroger and get a cheap candy thermometer. That's a good point about the nutrients being zapped in the mic, thanks for bringing that up.

Invisiblepinkfloydms
!!!!!
Male

Loc: City of Dreams
Re: How do you guys who use microwaves for pasteurization do it? [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4148258 - 05/07/05 10:38 PM (12 years, 18 days ago)

I sterilize my casing (coir/verm) if thats what your talking about in a tuperware bowl with a lid. My substrate i use this method, http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/26706.

--------------------
Muppet Said:

so yeah:
- 'sex' five times
- once with a man
- once with a cadaver
- and thrice with actual women(all of which were prostitutes)
Best story ever!

www.panicstream.com :thumbup:

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4148263 - 05/07/05 10:43 PM (12 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

GatorB said:
Okay, sorry, I'm pasteurizing my casing materials, which is 50/50+. I guess I'll go to Kroger and get a cheap candy thermometer. That's a good point about the nutrients being zapped in the mic, thanks for bringing that up.

50/50 casing material has no nutriants in it.

If you have an autoclave or oven bag, make your mix, hydrate it to feild capacity +, place it in the bag, use a rubber band to close the bag (but not so TIGHT - steam cannot escape) & simply nuke the mix - 3 or 4 times @ 2 minutes each & flip the bag between intervals.

Once done, tighten the rubber band TIGHT & allow the mix to cool to room temp's & you are good to go.

--------------------

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Re: How do you guys who use microwaves for pasteurization do it? [Re: agar]
    #4148266 - 05/07/05 10:45 PM (12 years, 18 days ago)

oh geez i thot he was talking about a bulk substreate, if ure talking about casing mix then yes sterilize it

--------------------

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #4148278 - 05/07/05 10:49 PM (12 years, 18 days ago)

Yep, I'd suggest sterilizing casing mix. Tupperware bin in the microwave, stirring halfway through the cooking cycle (5-10 mins) works perfect. Or pressure cooker as Agar mentione. If you can't do it all in the m/wave at once, just break it up into smaller batches and work with the containers you have.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Agar, Autoclave, Coir, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation