Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Bush removes logging barrier
    #4143826 - 05/06/05 09:19 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20050506/ts_usatoday/bushremovesloggingbarrier

By Tom Kenworthy, USA TODAY
Fri May 6, 6:11 AM ET

The Bush administration on Thursday overturned one of the most significant land conservation measures of the Clinton presidency: a ban on roads, logging and development on 58.5 million acres of national forests. The move could open large pristine areas to industry.

ADVERTISEMENT

The so-called roadless rule had affected 31% of all national forest land, mostly in Alaska and the West - an area about one-third the size of Texas.

President Clinton had put the far-reaching initiative in place in the final days of his administration. The Bush administration suspended it soon after taking office. Thursday's action was the final step in abandoning it.

A new rule gives governors 18 months to propose to the Agriculture Department which national forest land should be left untouched and which should be opened for other uses.

Though 38 states have some areas of national forests without roads, 97% of the land at issue is located in 12 Western states.

Rewriting the forest rules

The Bush administration is undoing Clinton administration rules that put 58.5 million acres of roadless national forest land - almost a third of the USA's federal forestland - off-limits. It is now up to the governors to recommend how much of that land merits protection. Roadless areas involved are in 38 states and Puerto Rico; but 97%, or 56.6 million acres, are found in 12 states:

State Total roadless area land (acres)
Alaska 14,779,000
Idaho 9,322,000
Montana 6,397,000
Colorado 4,433,000
California 4,416,000
Utah 4,013,000
Wyoming 3,257,000
Nevada 3,186,000
Washington 2,015,000
Oregon 1,965,000
New Mexico 1,597,000
Arizona 1,174,000

Click on map below to view all roadless areas in the U.S.

If a governor proposes no changes, the land would be managed according to 10-year guidelines set by each national forest. Under those existing guidelines, nearly 60% of the 58.5 million acres of roadless forest could be immediately opened for development. The remainder is guaranteed protection until a forest's guidelines are revised.

Giving states more control over how federal lands are managed represents a significant departure from decades of practice and could result in wide variations.

"To me, it ends up with a fragmented policy," said John Freemuth, a Boise State University professor.

But Undersecretary of Agriculture Mark Rey said efforts dating back 40 years have failed. He said the views of state officials and local residents on how national forest land should be used have been ignored, inviting lawsuits.

Since the Bush administration first outlined its proposal last year, all six Democratic governors in the West - representing Arizona, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington and Wyoming - have criticized it to varying degrees. Wyoming Gov. Dave Freudenthal called the new rule "a costly exercise in futility."

Western Republicans have been far more receptive. Idaho Gov. Dirk Kempthorne called it a "much better process for managing" forests.

But Niel Lawrence of the Natural Resources Defense Council said the Clinton rule "protected many of the last, best wild lands the American public owns."

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Bush removes logging barrier [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4147327 - 05/07/05 05:22 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

this deserves a bump.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
-Substance over Style.

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#4147393 - 05/07/05 05:37 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

People need wood, their are more people every day. What do you want them to do? Wave their magic wand?

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
Re: Bush removes logging barrier [Re: SoopaX]
    #4147420 - 05/07/05 05:43 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I keep getting all this shit in my mailbox everyday. Telling me to buy this credit card, subscribe to this service, buy this product. Noone needs that. That shit is ridiculous. Same goes for about a hundred other wasteful uses of lumber.

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4147452 - 05/07/05 05:47 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

People have magic wands?

People need many things, what would you have them do? Forsake nature to satisfy their every desire?

TBH they should as an intermediate solution to this problem begin by acquiring a large portion of land and cultivate it as necessary with the express purposes for logging, at least it will provide some relief to nature. (In an area that is more desolate, and an area where it wouldn't infringe on the local wildlife)

Our reliance on products that can't be sustained is what contributes to our current condition. You can look to our use of Oil as a whole, and when it runs out, we will be even more fucked as a result of our reliance... We should look to more sustainable resources, or at least attempt to sustain them as far as possible.

This describes it well enough;
A human community that lives in a mutually beneficial relation with the surrounding earth is a community, we might say, that lives in truth. The ways of speaking common to that community - the claims and beliefs that enable such reciprocity to perpetuate itself - are in this important sense, true. They are in accord with a right relation between these people and their world. Statements and beliefs, meanwhile, that foster violence toward the land, ways of speaking that enable the impairment or ruination of the surrounding field of beings, can be described as false ways of speaking - ways that encourage an unsustainable relation with the encompassing earth. A civilization that relentlessly destroys the living land it inhabits is not well acquainted with truth, regardless of how many supposed facts it has amassed regarding the calculable properties of its world. - David Abram, The Spell of the Sensuous

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#4147470 - 05/07/05 05:50 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Their are still strict guidelines for cutting. Old trees can't be cut down, and trees must be replanted. Forests "need" to be cut from time to time to allow new trees to exist.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #4147482 - 05/07/05 05:53 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Is this guy trying to destroy the world, or speed up the process!!???!

I don't even know what to say.......

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4147485 - 05/07/05 05:54 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, well let nature cut them down if it is such a "need"... Or is that just a justification to continue? :yesnod:

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Bush removes logging barrier [Re: barfightlard]
    #4147487 - 05/07/05 05:55 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I think he's merely presenting the info. That's how I take it.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
    #4147505 - 05/07/05 05:57 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Forests "need" to be cut from time to time to allow new trees to exist.

So what about all the forests that existed well before humanity?

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
    #4147538 - 05/07/05 06:03 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

This really does bother me.

Not because I'm against development or paper or whatever.
I just think there needs to be some sort of GENUINE way for important forests, geologic features, historically significant places to be protected. Some kind of protection that can't be reversed at the whim of president who is owned by business.

Posted this the day after the election:

Quote:

Gijith said:
If Bush can deliver 4 years without a war, a massive crackdown on civil iberties or an all out assault on the environment, I promise not to complain too much.

I think I'm gonna have to start complaining soon. I mean more than I already do.  :nonono:

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion