Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineindoutlw
Stranger
noob questions (pics) *DELETED*
    #4142572 - 05/06/05 03:56 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by indoutlw

Reason for deletion: .

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLeimana
Lunatic

Loc: By the Tum-Tum tree, in u...
Re: noob questions (pics) [Re: indoutlw]
    #4142730 - 05/06/05 04:38 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

The two cakes in the first picture look fine. Dunking and rolling before you put the cakes in the fruiting chamber IS a very good thing. Then re-dunk between each flush. Re-rolling is up to you.

The knots are probably going to become mushrooms.

I live in a warm climate and have never concerned myself with keeping the temperature below ambient beyond keeping the fruiting chamber in the coolest room in the house (no A/C, either). Casings and cakes fruit just fine.

Your relative humidity in your fruiting chamber might be too low. I built a "Poor Man's Pod", using expanded clay pellets (geolite) in a 31 gallon, opaque container with fish tank "bubble wands" under the clay, and an aquarium airpump attached to the wands via vinyl tubing. The top was a rigid piece of plexiglass just sitting on top of the tub. This produced constant condensation on the walls and lid. I only had to spray when I wanted to add moisture directly to a cake or casing.

Lighting was ambient (daylight through the windows). My mushrooms always grew, more or less, straight up, but, as long as they grow, does it matter?

Yes, you can patch the first grow-through spots on your casing. I never bother, but if you want to learn to get those massive, even pinsets, you may as well start practicing now.

So, worry less about the temperature and light, worry more about your relative humidity, and WHAT THE PHUQUE is that nasty looking brown thing in the last picture? It looks like a cake covered in sporulating brown MOLD! If that is the case, it is a disaster in the happening! Get it out of there and dispose of it! Move your other cakes and casings to a safe place (and pray) and sterilize your grow chamber!

Leimana

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation