Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Calcium Carbonate, Coir, Herb Grinder, Oyster Shell, Peat, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesampleinajar54
Stranger

Casing Question
    #4142265 - 05/06/05 02:39 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, I am doing my first casing, and I bought some supplies, but I couldn't find exactly what the teks recommended. Coir is nowhere to be found in my town, so i bought some sphagnum peat moss instead. Im going to do a 50/50 mix and some garden lime, since noplace sells crushed oyster shells. The lime I have isnt hydrated and is pelletized. Is this safe? Is a 50/50 mix the best ratio? How much lime should I add? Thanx for any help

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleStonerguy
I smoke penis
Male

Loc: Lost
Re: Casing Question [Re: sampleinajar54]
    #4142277 - 05/06/05 02:41 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

No need for the oyster shells and the lime, the accomplish the same thing.

--------------------
yawn...
SG

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

Re: Casing Question [Re: Stonerguy]
    #4142490 - 05/06/05 03:34 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Make sure, on the back of the bag in the fine print analysis it doesn't say dolomitic. Most garden lime bought at retail stores is dolomitic. Do you have a pet supply place in your town? Maybe pet smart, or some place similar?  If you do, look for reptile sand. It is pure calcium carbonate. That works great. If your unsure of the lime you have, don't use it, instead go back to the store where you found the garden lime. They should carry hydrated lime. It would most likely be in a small bag. My friend doesn't prefer hydrated lime, but if your low on choices, she would use this recipe:
10 cups peat moss
1 and a half cups hydrated lime
enough water so that when the peat is squeezed you get a small trickle of water out of it.
Thanks to the author of this recipe,(unknown). It works very well. :smile:bluhoney

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

Offlinebumper
Playin EVE
 User Gallery

Loc: Middle of Canada
Re: Casing Question [Re: bluhoney]
    #4142620 - 05/06/05 04:07 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Just to add, remove all small sticks of lumber from your peat moss, they can cause some contamination problems down the line.

Have a good one and good luck with your first casing.

--------------------
Pitbulls are like any other dog, they can be trained to be nasty or they can be trained to be good, some are smart and some are stupid, just like every other breed.
Their tough, stubborn and loyal, which is easily turned into something horrible in the wrong hands.

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: Casing Question [Re: bumper]
    #4143156 - 05/06/05 06:12 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

or hermit crab sand workd good too and if u cant find any of these things u can always resort to buying like 3 dozen eggs, crack em' all, save the shells, wash 'em good, then let them dry then run them through a coffee grinder. u'll have ure calcium carbonate that way

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlinesampleinajar54
Stranger

#4143160 - 05/06/05 06:12 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

crap, I already sterilized it and i left the wood chips in it.
should i resterilize or remove them when I lay the casing layer?

Offlinebumper
Playin EVE
 User Gallery

Loc: Middle of Canada
Re: Casing Question [Re: sampleinajar54]
    #4143269 - 05/06/05 06:38 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Well the safest bet would be to go through it and remove them then re-sterilize. I don't know how the wood in there would fair out in the sterilization process if pre-moistened, the lumber might be mixed in pretty good by now and hard to remove.
Might have to get a new batch mixed up in order to sort it out.

--------------------
Pitbulls are like any other dog, they can be trained to be nasty or they can be trained to be good, some are smart and some are stupid, just like every other breed.
Their tough, stubborn and loyal, which is easily turned into something horrible in the wrong hands.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #4143336 - 05/06/05 06:55 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Casings should be pasteurized, not sterilized. Also, pelletized lime, regardless of mg content won't do much good as it's designed to break down over a couple of growing seasons outdoors. The life of your casing is measured in weeks, not months or years, so you'll need water soluable lime(hydrated) Oyster shells, egg shells, etc., are excellent soil conditioners, but they won't break down fast enough in a casing to alter the ph. I've posted the link to hydrated lime online dozens of times here. You should be able to find it with a quick search.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Calcium Carbonate, Coir, Herb Grinder, Oyster Shell, Peat, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation