Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineclearmind
Stranger
Bad experience from cannabis, possibly a panic attack? Please help
    #4139057 - 05/05/05 06:02 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Hello people. Just some backround, i've been smoking cannabis for around two years now, i originally smoked hash resin but for around 6 months i've been smoking skunk ( prefer it alot more to resin - won't smoke that again ).

Anyway, 2 weeks ago, me and my friends, who i usually smoke with and who i am totally comfortable with went to my mates place as usual. I had met an old friend from school and turns out he now sells skunk so i got some from him. It didn't look any different than usual, he said it was homegrown but told me it was fairly good, he is quite an experienced smoker and usually smokes good stuff he said. We went on the Friday and i smoked as usual, i had actually been preparing myself to try acid as my other two friends were trying some but just before smoking i mentioned to one of my friends that i felt like i couldn't get a full breath ( not really but at this time of year i get hayfever and feel a little breathless ) so he suggested that i just make do with smoking as i might end up freaking out, also prolly cos i was a little hesitant about the whole thing, i think he sensed i wasn't 100% sure.

Anyway, that night was good, the high seemed different and i even mentioned to one of my mates that it was so different it almost felt like a different drug - i was enjoying it alot. Anyway, got to sleep pretty late - and got up pretty early, got about 4 hours sleep which sucked. I usually get a good sleep as i find little sleep and cannabis don't mix all that great. Anyway, in another not so smart move, i ate virtually nothing that day, mainly beause my stomach was killing me from the night before as i had eaten a considerable amount ( one thing that i hate now while smoking cannabis ). During the day i told myself that i wasn't going to smoke again that night as i was feeling really tired but when we returned to my mates place, his girlfriend and her friends were over and there was a movie on so i thought i'd smoke a little, watch the movie and get a good sleep, so i did.

Soon after things turned for the worse, it started when i was playing about with one of the girls phones, taking pictures, eventually of myself, my face. Anyway, looking at myself i freaked out a little ( it doesn't freak me out usually, after smoking many times i have noticed myself in mirrors in toilets etc and my eyes are just a little strained ). I told myself i wouldn't smoke cannabis again as i wasn't happy that i looked too fucked. Anyway, straight after this, i felt my heart beating pretty hard, this is when things became even worse. Ages ago i had a heart scan as the doctor heard a murmur ( which is now gone ), the scan came back 100% normal but i always kinda worry about it anyway. I also had a weird sensation in my face, it was like i couldn't hear, or my hearing was impaired ( have read this is a symptom of a panic attack ). Anyway, i pretty much thought i was having a heart attack and asked my mate to take me to the hospital, i let my friends and the girls check my chest/pulse and they agreed it was racing pretty fast, although one mate said it was no different from normal exercise and i had just got myself into a panic , but the fear was incredible. Something which happened which i didn't think about at the time ( but have now read about ) is when i went outside to find my other mate, i felt fine, i sat down and talked with them, the fear was gone, i have read that a change of setting during a panic attack can make things alot better however i didn't realise this before. Shortly after my mate shouted that he'd take me to the hospital so i went back inside to get my shoes and it all started again, the journey to the hospital was bad too.

When we got to the hospital i was physically shaking, i told them i had been smoking cannabis and that i had smoked it many times before, the nurse took my blood pressure and checked my heart rate which she said was high but not unusually high. I saw the doctor and he did some checks, he asked if i suffered from anxiety, i said i didn't know, but that i am a bit highly strung and can be wound up easily. Anyway that was that, the hospital staff were really helpful and friendly and i am thankful for that. We went back to my mates place and i slept. The next day i felt drained, i was contemplating giving up smoking forever as it had freaked me out a little, and my head didn't feel too good, i was thinking to myself that maybe i am someone who is deeply affected by cannabis and that it might bring out a mental issue ( my family has no history of mental illness's, i felt different and wondered when i'd feel normal again ). The next day i was fine. Anyway, i'd just like some advice on whether smoking again will be ok, and what was likely to have caused this incident. Looking back, this has been the only time i have combined smoking cannabis with no sleep/food, also the fact that i was worrying about my chest didn't help i don't think. This is the only negative experience i've had while smoking cannabis. I read that a pounding heart beat / change of setting removes fair / physical shaking / feeling light-headed / derealisation are all symptoms of a panic attack ( panic-anxiety.com ), all of which i experienced, do you think that is what i had?

Also, one more question, on the Friday my two buddy's who were trying acid said that they thought that i think about things too much and that acid might be too much for me, but it is not having experienced acid and the constant wonder that makes me think/read about it so much, i think it could be of immense value to me. Do you reckon acid is a bad idea or have i just had a bit of a bad experience?

Anyway, sorry for the extremely long post, appreciate any feedback anyone might have and thanks for taking the time to read it.

Edited by clearmind (05/05/05 06:49 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKenny7822
Kenny
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: MA, USA
Re: Bad experience from cannabis, possibly a panic attack? Please help [Re: clearmind]
    #4139102 - 05/05/05 06:19 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

This has happened to me before. It's just a simple panic attack, that's all. I quit smoking for 2 months then I went to a party and took several huge bong hits and I got really high. I was paranoid, my heart was racing and I was sitting in the corner shaking just looking around scared as hell. Eventually it went away, I just tried to think of positive things.

Offlineunearth
Stranger
Re: Bad experience from cannabis, possibly a panic attack? Please help [Re: Kenny7822]
    #4139131 - 05/05/05 06:33 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

its normal for your heart to be beating pretty fast and your blood pressure to be high while your high on weed.but i smoked many tiems before and never had what you described,but your just probably not used to it i guess,but like i said i never heard of that

Offlinegma
contentlyenlightened
Re: Bad experience from cannabis, possibly a panic attack? Please help [Re: clearmind]
    #4139444 - 05/05/05 08:01 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Lol dude, to tell you truthfully, i would stray from acid for a while, if weed can still give you panic attacks. I know when your a newbie your mind races, but thats just cause your not used to being fucked up. Acid and shrooms are an actual mindfuck, and a bad experience is likely with less experienced people. Its just pot, take a hit, enjoy.

Offlineclearmind
Stranger
Re: Bad experience from cannabis, possibly a panic attack? Please help [Re: gma]
    #4139587 - 05/05/05 08:31 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Cheers for the replies guys. gma, to be honest mate i wouldn't consider myself a newbie when it comes to weed. When you refer to my mind racing are you relating to what i said about always thinking alot? If so, that's not when i am smoking, it is just in general, i think alot about life in general and find stuff like nature, the world etc far more interesting than all my mates etc. There was a reason for this panic attack and i'd really just like to know why. I'd just like to see what the majority advise and if people think this is relatively unimportant then i'll continue as normal. You call me a noob though, how many years of smoking weed should i have before i consider acid? I've read alot about acid so i certainly don't underestimate it, i know it'll be a mindfuck, i have good friends i can trust and a safe environment in which to try it, i don't really see how i could be anymore prepared?

Edited by clearmind (05/05/05 08:35 PM)

OfflineGinseng1
Elegant Universe
 User Gallery

#4139650 - 05/05/05 08:51 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I've gotten a panic attack on weed once, when I was 15 I think.

I felt panicked because I realized a truth and it hit me like a ton of bricks.  This truth to me was that, indeed, one day I would die and never wake, and nobody on this earth really knows what happens when we die.  Would I be in a dream forever?  Would I be a simple consciousness lost in darkness with nobody to talk to? 

This was something I had never taken the time to think about in my entire life, at that point it was like... whoa... :eek:

I felt comfort in learning that this is something that everyone thinks to themselves at one point or another.

--------------------
Flowing through beginningless time since time without beginning...

Edited by Ginseng1 (05/05/05 08:55 PM)

InvisibleHillbillie
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Bad experience from cannabis, possibly a panic attack? Please help [Re: Ginseng1]
    #4140215 - 05/05/05 11:17 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

What you had, as others have stated, is definitely a panic attack. I've experienced them many times on weed. I don't get them anymore, as I've learned how to "operate my brain" better.

If it happens again, bro, don't run from it. I know it sounds weird, but just confront the panic head on. Concentrate on your breathing and your racing heart and just remember that YOU are creating your own anxiety; that YOU have the power to tell the anxiety to STFU and leave you alone to enjoy your high.

As for the acid, I wouldn't trip until you can smoke and smoke and smoke without wigging out. During the week before I trip mushrooms, I will typically consume high doses of weed and nitrous oxide, which for me at least prepares myself mentally. If I have a panic attack during this "initialization" then I know I'm not ready to trip. If you continue to have panic attacks on weed, I would not recommend tripping.

Good luck to you man. :smile: :sun:

Offlinedecontrol
Stranger

#4140644 - 05/06/05 02:09 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I had the same thing happen to me not too long ago at one of my friends houses. I've been smoking regularly for about 5 months. One night, I felt really crappy (lack of sleep and food) and I was really stoned. I started to get really nervous and my heart started racing. After a while I started shaking and it was getting hard to breathe. I had a computer near me so I went on it and tried to see if I could look up online what was happenening to me. I figured it must have been a panic attack ( I remembered something about my sister having one around my age, too ). After about 10 minutes, I had calmed down a bit but i was still uneasy, shaky and confused. I decided to try and sleep it off. The next morning, as soon as I woke up and remember the night before I got uneasy again. By the middle of the day I felt pretty much normal, although it took about a week before I was completely comfortable smoking and being at my friends apartment again.

It sounds like the combination of weed and no sleep or food with a little bit of paranoia can bring on a panic attack.

As far as doing acid, I've never done it but I have eaten low and medium shroom doses and didn't have a bad trip (although I still haven't had a really good trip)

Edited by decontrol (05/06/05 02:09 AM)

Offlineclearmind
Stranger
Re: Bad experience from cannabis, possibly a panic attack? Please help [Re: decontrol]
    #4142000 - 05/06/05 11:24 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Cheers for the replies again guys, i appreciate the input. Now that i know it was definitely a panic attack i feel a bit happier as i was worrying a bit as i didn't know what it was for certain.

As for this panic attack being a result of my inexperience i think i disagree a little. I understand when people say that i should be able to smoke without having a panic attack, and should really be at this stage before trying acid, but this wasn't a normal set of circumstances. I had had little sleep and no food, a really bad combination when smoking weed. I've had no panic attacks in the past and i think if i had had a good sleep and a good meal, this could have been avoided. As i mentioned in the first post, i've been smoking for 2 years now, i know alot of people who have smoked cannabis for less than this and have experienced other drugs soon after.

What i do think would probably be a good idea for me is to smoke some more for a little while, perhaps a few weeks or a month, but having a good sleep and a good meal during and after, to see how i get on.

Nearer the end of the month my parents are going away, and i have a buddy who would also like to try acid, this is really going to be the only oppertunity to experience it in a safe environment and actually be able to get ahold of the acid as it isn't always around here. I've been preparing myself for this for a couple of months now, have read alot of trip reports and have done alot of reading on erowid and have tried to prepare myself best i can for it.

One thing i was wondering since i posted this though, going on what i have said, what would probably be the best thing to try, acid or mushrooms? I'd consider mushrooms if they are likely to be the better option.

Edited by clearmind (05/06/05 11:27 AM)

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
    #4144140 - 05/06/05 09:12 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i smoked for 5 years regularly, and had my first panic attack about 2 months ago while smoking.....it was scary, i went outside, got some water and it eventually went away, i ended up having another one 2 days later, and yet another the same week....the third one that i had that week, i did what hillbillie was saying and just sat down and confronted it....I asked myself, What exactly is happening to me? I answered myself with 'nothing, im sitting here, watching tv, gettin high like always'....I then took a couple breaths and it went away instantly, i havent had one since, and still dont know why they ever came one, but i feel ya on it.

As for the acid thing, that i dont know. I tried acid for the first time when i was 15, and had a blast....but now as i am older, i find it harder to have as good of a time on any psychedelics, and have a scary/bad trip 4 out of 5 times....i dont know why, but even scary or bad trips give you insight.

Offlineclearmind
Stranger
Re: Bad experience from cannabis, possibly a panic attack? Please help [Re: supra]
    #4294787 - 06/14/05 11:24 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Incase anyone happens to read this from searching or wonders how i have gotten on i thought i'd update this thread. Have tried acid twice now, both times one and a half blotter, starting with one then a further half later ( which i have now been told is pointlesss ), smoked weed with the one and a half there at the weekend to try and increase the effects of the acid as i didn't feel much from the acid the first time i tried it, just a bit empty and emotionless, couldn't get to sleep, think the acid had lost its strength from sitting around. Anyway, think i am going to need to try an initial dose of 2 blotter next time as only had a few visual distortions and a few trippy thoughts there at the weekend.

As for the relevance of this post, i had what i'd consider two semi-panic attacks that night, however this time i managed to overcome them, i didn't change my surroundings or anything, just told myself to calm down and ignore what i was feeling, worked a treat and soon all was fine, just wish i'd been able to do this the first time.

Offlinecaptmueller
chemical shaman
    #4296721 - 06/14/05 08:42 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

my room mate has had an experience simular to what you describe, hes a relatively new smoker, and at this time most of the herb he had experienced was rather weak...well, he came in contact with some rather strong herb and he ended up in the shower in the dark!
we took care of him, made him safe..and as expected he eventually chilled as he came down...i believe he fought the mental change because it was more drastic than normal...now..since he tried a small amount of DMT and felt the effect(massive mental change) and since then he hasnt had a problem accepting the "head change" and has learned to enjoy and utilize it...

each in time

namaste,
captmueller

Offlinejhot369
~
 User Gallery

#11458574 - 11/15/09 07:29 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

clearmind said:
. Anyway, got to sleep pretty late - and got up pretty early, got about 4 hours sleep which sucked. I usually get a good sleep as i find little sleep and cannabis don't mix all that great. Anyway, in another not so smart move, i ate virtually nothing that day, mainly beause my stomach was killing me from the night before as i had eaten a considerable amount ( one thing that i hate now while smoking cannabis ).

Dont worry man I live on 4hrs of sleep everday and im smoking blunts all the time, not to mention i dont eat much due to my livining situation(hunger doesnt effect me much) id rather use tht 5 to blaze another L than to get more McDs--- PS im not a fatass either im considerably skinny Just ate a donut that will prly be my fill for the day.

If you think you've have a bad experience , ehh my bro passed out on me in line at walmart and i had to hold up dead weight of 175 Lbs with my 1 arm grasped on his sweatshirt and STILL PAY , not to mention she was at first yelling " IS HE HAVING A SIEZURE?!?" omfg.. im quick on the reply tho i was like  " NO ! Asthema he needs his inhailer cough it off"

Offlinejhot369
~
 User Gallery

Re: Bad experience from cannabis, possibly a panic attack? Please help [Re: jhot369]
    #11458582 - 11/15/09 07:32 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Needless to say Marijuana effects people in different ways such as:

Chill way: Self explanitory ( THIS IS THE EFFECT YOU WANT )

Paranoia : when one cant stop talking about some stupid shit tht doesnt really matter.

Laugher: no matter what the hell it is you just cant controll yourself from not laughing~~~~ O YES the good ol' Days this use to happen to me. IF YOU ARE A LAUGHER  CHARISH IT !!! some great times I barley ever get high anymore  , Thus im here @ shroomery..

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds