Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineipickPA
 User Gallery

growing in vitro
    #4141552 - 05/06/05 09:39 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

hey all, this is my first grow. I couldn't find the shoulderless ball/kerr jars so i've got a problem. I don't see how I can get my cakes out after colonization, so i was thinking about just growing them in vitro. If I do grow them like this I realize the yields will be shitty but I'm really not too concerned about that just yet..just trying to get my first grow under my belt.

So I was wondering if it will be nessecary to put my jars into some kind of terranium, or just leave them out on a shelf somewhere?

One last question..I seem to have a little bit of rust dripping down from the lids where I previously drilled the holes, but I've got a verm barrier in my jars seperating the rust from the colonizing cake. So I guess there shouldnt be a problem but If it were to leak onto my myc would there be any damage done?
Thanks for your help

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesublime40oz
Traveler
Loc: Florida
Re: growing in vitro [Re: ipickPA]
    #4141609 - 05/06/05 09:51 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

If I was in your situation I would sterilize a knife with fire and maybe alcohol after that, let it cool, and use that to break the cakes up and use the pieces for a casing. Just a thought.

--------------------
Beyond the gray sky

Offlinefunnylittleman
Stranger

Re: growing in vitro [Re: sublime40oz]
    #4141693 - 05/06/05 10:10 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

just break the glass carefully with a hammer. make sure to get rid of all of the glass on it though.

--------------------
The world is like a ride in an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time and they begin to question, is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey - don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride... And we... kill those people.

- Bill Hicks

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Loc: you'll shoot yer eye out ...
Re: growing in vitro [Re: funnylittleman]
    #4141795 - 05/06/05 10:29 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

ipickPA..

If you absolutely.. positively (go to walmart.. they usually have a good selection of canning stuff in the summer) can't find anything like that.. what you do is pick up those jars you found, and research CASING. What you would do is crumble or cut the cakes that are 100% colonized inside the jar... then case. Casings produce more prolific mushroom harvests anyway.

Scroll to the top of this page and click "FAQ".. then i believe you click Mushroom Cultivation FAQ's... then go from there. TONS of info and good TEKs.. good pics, etc.

Keep up the enthusiasim.

Sam

--------------------

I believe in the Golden Rule ? The Man with the Gold . . . Rules.
- Mr. T

Offlineshroomguitar420
Shroomtalk is myREAL home
Re: growing in vitro [Re: Sammy]
    #4141820 - 05/06/05 10:35 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

this is a good invitro tek. perlite on the bottom of the ziplock, a little tray, and then your cakes. like this:

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: growing in vitro [Re: Sammy]
    #4141822 - 05/06/05 10:35 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

the simplest thing to do would be to case as everyone else has sed, in order to get the mycelium out of the jars scoop it out with a medium sized spoon like a table spoon or something

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: growing in vitro [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4141847 - 05/06/05 10:39 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Nice pics, but not really invitro rather just a poormans fruiting chamber. If you grow them invitro you will still have the problem of how to harvest them. As mentioned you can cut the cake up while in the jar. Leave it a good 4-5 days after it is fully colonised on the outside since inside it may still be uncolonised.

OfflineipickPA
 User Gallery

Re: growing in vitro [Re: blackout]
    #4141999 - 05/06/05 11:24 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

okay well I have researched casing quite a bit in the past few weeks actually...I just wasn't sure how I was going to get my cake out of the jar (looking back I should've just used drinking glasses but o well..next time I'll just order some shoulderless canning jars on the net or something) But as long as you don't think there will be much of a problem with contams if I heat up a knife and use alchohol, then I'll probably go that way..

Now i suppose I've got a question about casing..I've read alot of people are saying they don't reccommend going the straight verm way, but I think I'd like to go that route...What do you think? and is it possible to sterilize verm in the microwave? Also, When I put my stuff in a fruiting chamber the perlite doesn't need to be sterilized right? Because I haven't read anywhere that it says sterilize perlite..but maybe I missed something..

Shroomguitar - That looks like a pretty neat little tek, but that isn't quite what I was going for...my in vitro would've meant I was growing straight from the jar..BUT i suppose i could do something similar if I wanted to.. with the cakes still in the jars in the zipplock.

Offlineshroomguitar420
Shroomtalk is myREAL home
Re: growing in vitro [Re: ipickPA]
    #4142097 - 05/06/05 11:44 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

the straight verm casing.. is like a flatcake, you would most likely let the spawn run get larger, and stronger. i have a flatcake going from a 1/4 pint cake, and the flatcake is the size of maybe a half pint spawn run. it fruited already, and so i decided screw it, made a dung casing. yeah, im pretty sure the myc is a little pissed at me, but just wanted to try dung, since its the only spawn i have until my otehr cakes are done. Give it a try.

What you are trying to do with the cakes still in the jars, is the ancient tek. Ive never tried it, but you could try.
Id go for the flatcake. only a half inch to an inch of vermiculite, then your spawn, then another half inch to an inch layer of vermiculite. incubate for 3-7 days.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order