Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Loc: Flag
Ecstasy users 'face memory loss'
    #4141280 - 05/06/05 10:14 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Ecstasy users 'face memory loss'
May 6, 2005 bbc.co.uk

Sustained ecstasy use leads to a loss of everyday memory, according to researchers on Tyneside.

Researchers from Northumbria University compared 23 regular users with 30 people who had never used the drug.

They were given questionnaires to assess long and short-term aspects of memory as well as taking part in a video-based shopping memory task.

The ecstasy users reported an average 29% more memory problems and remembered to buy an average 25% less items.

There were two strands to the study - in one participants were asked to think back and were asked questions about remembering to meet friends, posting a letter or switching off lights.

The second was based around the participants watching a video of a town street and shops.

'Significant forgetting'

Ten minutes before they watched the video, they were given a list of 16 things to remember, for example what to buy from a particular shop.

Researchers found the ecstasy users remembered an average of 25% less items. It meant the ecstasy users remembered up to two or three items less than the other group.

University senior lecturer in psychology Dr Tom Heffernan said: "I would say it was quite a significant forgetting rate. It is something they certainly should be concerned about."

Dr Heffernan said it was the first time an objective, video-based piece of research has been used with ecstasy users in relation to everyday memory.

He said it therefore meant results were more significant than just relying on accounts of how bad their memories might be.

He said: "We think ecstasy could affect certain parts of the brain directly or interrupt the transmitters that send messages around the brain."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: Ecstasy users 'face memory loss' [Re: veggie]
    #4147163 - 05/07/05 04:59 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I don't see why they are putting the whole spotlight on MDMA though. The people who "used Ecstasy" most likely use/d alot of OTHER drugs as well. How can they narrow just one thing out like that? Was this a government-funded study? :smirk:

:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Chopper Challenge

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
Re: Ecstasy users 'face memory loss' [Re: veggie]
    #4147605 - 05/07/05 06:17 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

i was gonna post something, but i forgot

how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Loc: -
Re: Ecstasy users 'face memory loss' [Re: wrestler_az]
    #4149628 - 05/08/05 10:41 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I'm with Adamist, how was this study performed, most MDMA users use or have used many other drugs completely killing alot of the credibility this research had. This sounds like another bleeding brain to me.

just think about the future.

blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: Ecstasy users 'face memory loss' [Re: randomdude123456]
    #4150010 - 05/08/05 01:31 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

i am pro-drug (actually pro individual choice), but it would say from one 6 month period of total excess, it probably took me 3 or 4 years to return to a semi-normal state again. and, i dont think i have ever regained full faculty. the way i do drugs is i find one i like and stick to that for a period of time. over that 6 month period, i easily ate 5-10 pills a eek, which no one should ever do, but i was young (in my early 20's) and it was around the turn of the century... the party scene was in full swing. i would say that i did serious damage to myself doing that much X. i never experienced such memory loss doing acid, mushrooms, or any other psycoactive drugs which are the only other drugs i have ever or will ever do.

but, from experience with tons of friends, the worst drug a person can do in excess is meth. that has totally ruined many people i know.

like my philosophy has always been, though. any drug, done in moderation (and that might mean just once or twice a year) isnt detramentally harmfull to people. either way its a persons choice what they do to themselves and shouldnt be regulated.

No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Keyboard Samurai

Loc: Trapped inside my mind..
Re: Ecstasy users 'face memory loss' [Re: automan]
    #4181628 - 05/16/05 11:29 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

This seems rather bogus, they didn't control one thing,
previous level of memory recognition. I know people who can
memorize pages in a few seconds and some who can't remember
what letter goes where in the alphabet. This was a variable that needed to be controlled. Instead they slapped some probability on it and called it a study.

Not to mention prolly all the "contestants" on this game show
were toking up before that video (they prolly got snacks too).

You laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at you because you're all the same.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service