Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleYachaj
Stranger
Loc: Planet Earth
Claviceps paspali cultivation
    #624701 - 05/02/02 07:44 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Recently I received two cultures of Claviceps paspali (Stevens and Hall) to play with. The labels read ATCC 13893 and ATCC 13894. Are there any ppl who are experienced with these fungi? If so I would love to read some reports.

I feel very excited because this seems to be a famous fungus. Cultures are not available anywhere besides the academic suppliers.

So far they do very well on solid MYA and PDA as well as liquid versions of the same media.

But I wonder if sclerotia can also be grown? If so I would love to have viable seeds of Paspalum distichum, the host species of grass on which Claviceps paspali normally grows. I am thinking of growing the grass plants and then spraying the developing seeds with a diluted liquid culture. Of course I want to grow the fungus also on P. distichum spawn but since it is a parasitic fungus I expect that it wants living seeds (not pressure canned seeds). At this moment I am very pleased to see that it has no difficulty to grow on sterile agar. So perhaps the species likes dead seeds too? I hope it does because it would make the experiments a whole lot easier. It baffles me that I can not find any info about sclerotia cultivation of C. paspali according the same techniques as are being used for Psilocybe mexicana and P. tampanensis!

Does anyone know a place where to buy Paspalum distichum seeds?

Yachaj

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offliner05c03
The Slug Scourge
Loc: Indiana, US
Re: Claviceps paspali cultivation [Re: Yachaj]
    #625053 - 05/02/02 04:20 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Claviceps makes sclerotia in a different fashion than do the basidios with which you are familiar. I believe this fungus infects young seed heads and makes sclerotia like structures that replace the grain. So I would spray young seed heads. However ascospores are the usual infectious agent.

--------------------
Listen! Do you smell something?

InvisibleArsey
Stranger
Loc: location location locatio...
Re: Claviceps paspali cultivation [Re: Yachaj]
    #4141215 - 05/06/05 07:36 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Do you still have this culture, if so would you be willing to part with a small piece of tissue?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds