Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: 5-HTP, St. John's Wort

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Where Art Meets Crime
The FDA and herbal supplements
    #4141086 - 05/06/05 08:37 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

you purchase a box of echinachia or milk-thistle for your immune system or liver health...and it always says "these statements have not been evaluated by the FDA..." when it comes to the product claiming health benefits.

so, why doesnt the FDA actually test these products to see if they have health benefits or to at least test for any harmful side-effects?

are they afraid that if 5-HTP or St. John's Wort was proven as an effective mood stabilizer everyone would drop their Prozac/Zoloft and switch to the herbal remedes?

I just dont understand why they dont test these health products for quality.

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: The FDA and herbal supplements [Re: MrBump]
    #4141111 - 05/06/05 08:43 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

From what I understand natural supplements can't be patented. Perhaps that is a factor?

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Yeti Sports

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
Re: The FDA and herbal supplements [Re: cb9fl]
    #4141168 - 05/06/05 09:11 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The reason that they are not tested is that it requires millions of dollars to test a product for FDA approval. This money comes from the pharmaceutical companies. With out a patent there is no way for them to guarantee there ROI (Return On Investment) so there is no incentive to test the herbal products.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: The FDA and herbal supplements [Re: Cyber]
    #4141322 - 05/06/05 10:33 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

What cyber said....it costs a lot of money.

However if you search medline you will find that there are in fact clinical trials for some of these supplements. While the private sector has little interest in developing and marketing these "drugs", independent researchers (e.g. college professor's) still do research on them, although it is usually limited in the U.S. by lack of funding.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: The FDA and herbal supplements [Re: badchad]
    #4141908 - 05/06/05 12:53 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Why don't the companies actually selling this snake oil test their own shit? Maybe it's because they are essentially useless and they know it.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #4141968 - 05/06/05 01:10 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Some of them have been tested, and shown to be utter bunk.

Lots of studies have been done on lots of herbals, just search pubmed. You'll see that a lot of this stuff IS bullshit. The herbal companies are no less greedy than the big pharmaceutical companies, they just don't have science backing them up. Only placebo and superstition.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: The FDA and herbal supplements [Re: Phluck]
    #4142151 - 05/06/05 02:01 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I guess me getting fucked up off this herb I'm smoking is just a superstitious, placebo effect  :cool:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: The FDA and herbal supplements [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4142607 - 05/06/05 04:04 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Perhaps if you were to send me a sample I could run some tests. :cool:

--------------------

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Yeti Sports

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
    #4144224 - 05/06/05 11:36 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Let me add something to this.

The statement "they just don't have science backing them up. Only placebo and superstition."

Is not correct! There are some herbs that have good scientific backing and some that don't!

For example Clove (Like the spice)

Quote:

Latin name: Syzygium aromaticum

A Remedy For

* Bronchitis
* Colds
* Cough
* Dental pain
* Fever
* Sore throat
* Tendency to infection

In Asian medicine, Cloves are also used for stomach ailments, bad breath, and skin diseases, but their effectiveness for these purposes has not been confirmed.

What It Is; Why It Works
An extremely aromatic plant (the entire tree smells of Cloves), this familiar herb grows in tropical regions such as Tanzania, Madagascar, and Brazil. The medicinal element, oil of Cloves, is extracted from the plant's flower buds, leaves, and fruit. Boasting antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and pain-killing effects, it is used primarily as a local anesthetic, especially for toothache.
The Cloves found in the typical kitchen spice rack are flower buds picked at the embryo stage. (If picked when mature, they lose their pungency.) They appeared in Europe as early as the 4th Century A.D. In India and Indonesia, they are still smoked in cigarettes

Oil of Clove is what dentists use when you get dry socket after having a tooth pulled.

Verses Scullcap (Normally found in "Herbal Smoking Blends")

Quote:

Latin name: Scutellaria lateriflora
Other names: Blue Pimpernel, Helmet Flower, Hoodwort, Mad-dog Weed, Madweed, Quaker Bonnet

A Remedy For
Although its efficacy has not been formally recognized, Scullcap has a mild sedative effect and is used in the treatment of anxiety and insomnia. In the past, it was also used for fever, nerve pain, muscular spasms, and epilepsy.

What It Is; Why It Works
There are several varieties of Scullcap. The type discussed here, Scutellaria lateriflora, is native to North America. In addition to its sedative action, this variety has the ability to calm spasms and reduce inflammation. A closely related European variety, Scutellaria galericulata, has similar properties. On the other hand, Chinese Scullcap (Scutellaria baicalensis) contains additional substances with entirely different properties. It exerts a protective effect on the liver, inhibits the growth of bacteria and viruses, and appears to relieve allergies.
The Scullcap family takes its name from its broad, disc-like flower. ("Scutella" is the Latin diminutive for "dish"). The names "Mad-dog Weed" and "Madweed" reflect a belief that the plant could cure rabies. North American Scullcap is a two-foot-high perennial with pink to blue flowers. The entire above-ground part of the plant is pulverized for medicinal purposes.

These came from the Physicians Desk Reference Which I find to be a great source of information when it comes to both herbal medicines as well as prescribed medicines.

http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/index.html

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #4144266 - 05/06/05 11:55 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Penicillin is voodoo horseshit.

--------------------

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: The FDA and herbal supplements [Re: Cyber]
    #4144720 - 05/07/05 02:48 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

You know that annoys the fuck out of me. Being skeptical is one thing but dismissing everything you don't understand or that isn't backed by a major corporation is another thing. I refuse to believe OR deny anything simply because someone brings it to my attention. To deny "herbal" medicine would be to deny aspirin. Of course aspirin is a farce ... fucking idiots.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Where Art Meets Crime
Re: The FDA and herbal supplements [Re: cb9fl]
    #4147195 - 05/07/05 05:03 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

also, the FDA offically classifies herbal supplements as a food, not as a drug/med.

In 1994, Congress passed the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA). This act limited the FDA's control over products labeled a "dietary supplement." The DSHEA states that manufacturers don't have to prove the safety or efficacy of a product before they put it on the market. With this act, Congress acknowledged that consumers believe supplements provide health benefits and that they want greater responsibility for deciding if herbs are helpful to them.

As a result, herbal products and supplements aren't subject to the same rigorous standards as are prescription drugs or those sold over the counter. Herbal supplements can be marketed with limited proof of effectiveness or safety. Vendors can make health claims about products based on their own review and interpretation of studies without FDA authorization. However, the FDA can pull a product off the market if it's proved dangerous.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=NU00205 http://cancer.stanfordhospital.com/healthInfo/alternativeTherapy/dietary/

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
    #4153261 - 05/09/05 02:07 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

There are modern medicines that have their roots in herbal remedies. Probably the most recognized is aspirin. Drug companies continue to research herbal remedies and attempt to create patentable analogues of their chemical constituents while at the same time funding politicians who would outlaw unpatentable natural medicines.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: 5-HTP, St. John's Wort

General Interest >> Political Discussion