Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Aldous Huxley, The Doors

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemgunetiquette
NegativeOptimist
 User Gallery

Loc: Torrance, California
Hallucinogens on the deaf, dumb, and blind...
    #4139335 - 05/05/05 09:34 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I am very curious to any documented effects that hallucinogens have on the deaf, dumb, and blind or to people who have mental disabilities (schizophrenia and the like) or are out of touch of certain senses. I have always considered that such drugs open up portions of the brain that are not used otherwise but I am curious what such effects have on people who are blind, color blind, hearing impaired, "crazy", or even mentally retarded.

--------------------
It is only an illusion that the universe and everything within it is truly seperate. In essence it is existence playing with itself. I call it the existential masturbation theory.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGinseng1
Elegant Universe
 User Gallery

Re: Hallucinogens on the deaf, dumb, and blind... [Re: mgunetiquette]
    #4139788 - 05/05/05 11:29 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I remember readin an article on erowid about some doctor doing LSD tests with shitzo's... this one schitzo took LSD a few times, everytime he would be cuddled up on the couch sweating, and doing nothing but trippin in his head. Although he wasn't cured, it helped his condition out because he began taking steps to making an independent life for himself, getting out of his parents house and trying to get a job and such.

The article went on to say that the doctor's theory was that the schitzo didn't like having these LSD treatments, and he would rather apply himself and try to adjust to the real world in his current state, than to have to continue his agonizing acid trips....

I probably should have just posten the article but I was too lazy to look, and I now realize that it would have taken less time to find it than to write all this up.  :sad:

--------------------
Flowing through beginningless time since time without beginning...

Offlinedarkstar45
inquisitivetraveler
Male User Gallery

Re: Hallucinogens on the deaf, dumb, and blind... [Re: Ginseng1]
    #4139836 - 05/05/05 11:43 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

wow, thats pretty interesting stuff. i can only imagine how a person who is blind and deaf would react to lsd....

--------------------
There he goes...
One of God's own prototypes.
A high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live and too rare to die.

Offlinemgunetiquette
NegativeOptimist
 User Gallery

Re: Hallucinogens on the deaf, dumb, and blind... [Re: darkstar45]
    #4139995 - 05/06/05 12:29 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

The only thing I can find were that tests on blind people had their hearing distorted to echoes. What I find interesting were tests done on blind monkeys. They were able to react to their enviroments even more coherently on LSD... Very interesting...

ALSO subtle doses of LSD on spiders showed that their web designs were even more intricate and "cohesive". However higher doses led them making disfigured webs which are completely out of place or incoherent.

But then I don't trust anything on the net. Negative or positive propaganda on the stuff. I want books or more reliable references.

--------------------
It is only an illusion that the universe and everything within it is truly seperate. In essence it is existence playing with itself. I call it the existential masturbation theory.

OfflineFospher
Crime FightingMaster Criminal
Male

Loc: The Netherlands
    #4140704 - 05/06/05 04:40 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Aldous Huxley was about 60% blind and he was (one of) the best hallucinogenic documentors in the world.

--------------------
010001100100001001000101!

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Hallucinogens on the deaf, dumb, and blind... [Re: Fospher]
    #4140982 - 05/06/05 07:35 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

In general, when given to schiziphrenic patients, LSD exacerbates (makes worse) their symptoms. This is one of the reasons LSD is often referrred to as a "schizophrenomimetic".

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
autism, schizophrenia, etc./ psych-libr [Re: badchad]
    #4141513 - 05/06/05 11:29 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlinedecontrol
Stranger

#4148707 - 05/08/05 01:01 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

OfflineOddish
Bulbasaur!
Male

Re: Hallucinogens on the deaf, dumb, and blind... [Re: Fospher]
    #4148893 - 05/08/05 02:00 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Fospher said:
Aldous Huxley was about 60% blind and he was (one of) the best hallucinogenic documentors in the world.

Hell yeah. Huxley is an amazing author among other things!

OnlineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
    #4149848 - 05/08/05 12:33 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mgunetiquette said:
ALSO subtle doses of LSD on spiders showed that their web designs were even more intricate and "cohesive". However higher doses led them making disfigured webs which are completely out of place or incoherent.

Insects react to chemicals nothing like mammals do, so i would agree that your source cant be trusted.

Edited by gdman (05/08/05 12:42 PM)

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: Hallucinogens on the deaf, dumb, and blind... [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #4149856 - 05/08/05 12:36 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

There was a study done, in which they dosed spiders with various substances and saw how it affected web designs.

here is a link

It compares a normal web, to a web that was spun by a spider dosed with acid, seems the LSD improves on nature :lol:

Lysergic_Milkman, do be nice on these forums, ok?

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

OfflineAldous
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: inside my skull
Re: Hallucinogens on the deaf, dumb, and blind... [Re: Ginseng1]
    #4152450 - 05/09/05 04:46 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Ginseng1 said:
I remember readin an article on erowid about some doctor doing LSD tests with shitzo's... this one schitzo took LSD a few times, everytime he would be cuddled up on the couch sweating, and doing nothing but trippin in his head. Although he wasn't cured, it helped his condition out because he began taking steps to making an independent life for himself, getting out of his parents house and trying to get a job and such.

The article went on to say that the doctor's theory was that the schitzo didn't like having these LSD treatments, and he would rather apply himself and try to adjust to the real world in his current state, than to have to continue his agonizing acid trips....

I probably should have just posten the article but I was too lazy to look, and I now realize that it would have taken less time to find it than to write all this up.  :sad:

I've read that too, it was in a Stan Grof book.

That case was a little peculiar, because it was more of a personality disorder than outright schizophrenia. The patient had made "schizophrenia" his personality, and he seemed proud of it. It gave him substance and made him special. He also took great pride in having resisted every kind of treatment.
When he took his psychedelic therapy, he obviously had an apocalyptic trip, but wouldn't admit to it. Every time he "resurfaced", he claimed nothing was happening and he didn't feel any effect, while the opposite was obvious.
After the trip, the shrinks said that since it didn't affect him, they would have to up the dose the next time. He called them before the next appointment to cancel, saying he felt much better and wouldn't need it right away. He never accepted a new appointment, but his condition gradually faded away, as if the threat of a new trip had done the trick.

I'm writing from memory here, but I think that was pretty much the story. However funny it is, I don't think it is representative of dosing schizophrenics.

OfflinesHrOoMeRrR420
Narcotics Agent
Male

Loc: Canada
Re: Hallucinogens on the deaf, dumb, and blind... [Re: Aldous]
    #4152880 - 05/09/05 11:47 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I'm pretty blind when it comes to long distances and I find that without my glasses I have much more hallucinations than with my glasses...

Offlinemgunetiquette
NegativeOptimist
 User Gallery

Re: Hallucinogens on the deaf, dumb, and blind... [Re: sHrOoMeRrR420]
    #4156062 - 05/10/05 03:47 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Yes with my own personal experience. I tended to want my "natural" eyesight even though I have severe nearsightedness. But then I also tend to take off my God damn clothes in front of anybody no matter who you are. That got me in enough trouble, but that's a different post altogether...

As for Aldous Huxley. Dude was a fucking genius. I ate up Brave New World but I really what to get my hands on his book The Doors of Perception.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Aldous Huxley, The Doors

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience