Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblexamginex
Stranger

Loc: Left side of USA
Egads! I've been invaded!
    #4137331 - 05/05/05 01:13 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

So, I'm prepping for the next round, get all my equipment into the kitchen, clean my jars, etc. I pop the lid off my large container of WBS to start filling my jars. First things first, mix a little to even out the content. I fill up a jar and see a bug in it, hmm. Look over into my WBS container, and see this:

Egads man! The picture doesn't do justice to the amount of beetles crawling around in my bird seed. So I finish filling my jars, knocking beetles down as they climb up, squishing others, and finally drowning any remaining when I put water in my jars to soak.
I suspect my bird seed had some larvae when I first bought it, those hatched and now have a nice colony in my WBS container. I irritated them when I mixed which would explain the mass exodus.
So, my container is outside now, lid in place, outside sprayed liberally with bug spray to stop escapees, but how do I get rid of the rest without poisoning my WBS, or do I just live with it and cook them as needed? Suggestions appreciated, thanks for reading!

--------------------
-ALL POSTS ARE FICTITIOUS CREATIONS OF MY OVERACTIVE IMAGINATION AND IMAGINARY DIGITAL CAMERA-

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleShroomOmatic
Ethno Apprentice
Male User Gallery
Loc: Sailing the Seas of Chees...
Re: Egads! I've been invaded! [Re: xamginex]
    #4139582 - 05/05/05 10:31 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Damn bro that sucks. Hate to hear it.

--------------------

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Egads! I've been invaded! [Re: ShroomOmatic]
    #4141041 - 05/06/05 08:11 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Safest thing to do would be getting some clean WBS. But, if well sterilized, all those insects and larvae will get killed.
It's your call ...

Just a tip if you decide to go ahead with that WBS. Try presoaking the WBS inside a water:bleach solution for 2 to 4 hours. That will get most insect killed but probably not all their larvae. PCing should do the rest of the job.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Invisiblexamginex
Stranger

Loc: Left side of USA
    #4152253 - 05/09/05 02:54 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Seems I may have solved my problem. I put all my WBS, including guests, in a garbage bag, sealed it up and let it sit in my deep freezer for a couple of days.
I dumped it back out and have yet to notice any survivors, but I'll keep my eyes open just in case. I don't think these beetles can handle extreme cold for that long so I think I got 'em.

--------------------
-ALL POSTS ARE FICTITIOUS CREATIONS OF MY OVERACTIVE IMAGINATION AND IMAGINARY DIGITAL CAMERA-

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #4162106 - 05/11/05 04:06 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

WBS + Beetle Larvae = New Super Substrate?

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum