Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

A Legal Hallucinogenic Herb
    #4135762 - 05/05/05 12:01 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

A Legal Hallucinogenic Herb
May 4, 2005 wokr13.tv

Holly Maynard (Rochester, NY) 05/04/05 - There's a new way teenagers are getting high, and so far, it's perfectly legal. People are experimenting with an herb called salvia divinorum, a type of sage from Mexico that can cause hallucinations when it is smoked or chewed.

Salvia leaves gave Peter Olsen a high unlike anything he's experienced before.

"It made me feel like I was floating," Olsen said, "and my arms looked like they were far away when I looked at them. It was weird."

Olsen said he's tried salvia a few times. So have about a dozen of his friends at RIT… because they can.

It is legal, after all.

Olsen said he does it in a safe way, always making sure there's somebody nearby that isn't doing it. They remove car keys and all sharp objects in the room, because it's unclear what effect the herb will have.

Olsen said, "I can see how it could be harmful if somebody didn't know how to handle themselves. They might not know where they are or what they're doing, and do something stupid."

That has some people worried. A few years ago the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration put salvia on its list of "Drugs and Chemicals of Concern."

Drug Counselor Martin Siegrist said, "They could injure themselves while doing it, fall down the stairs, react to a hallucination with violence possibly."

Siegrist, at the drug treatment facility Huther-Doyle, said some research has linked salvia to depression and possibly schizophrenia. But not enough research has been done to know for sure, and because it's still legal, Olsen said more teens will try it.

Olsen said "People find that surprising. They see a legal drug that can make them hallucinate and they're curious about it."

Congress tried to regulate the herb in 2002 but never acted on a bill to do so. Lawmakers are expected to reintroduce the legislation later this year.

Some say it's far less potent than more popular recreational drugs and that the government just wants to keep people from enjoying themselves.

The Rochester Police Department knows about it but there haven't been problems with the herb in the area, and while they know some kids use it, it's not nearly as popular as some other drugs.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: A Legal Hallucinogenic Herb [Re: veggie]
    #4136432 - 05/05/05 05:22 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

veggie said:
Siegrist, at the drug treatment facility Huther-Doyle, said some research has linked salvia to depression and possibly schizophrenia. But not enough research has been done to know for sure, and because it's still legal, Olsen said more teens will try it.

What BS!

"Some studies have linked Salvia and depression and maybe even schizophrenia"...sounds like normal scare tactics to me.

"Because it's still legal, more teens will try it" This guy has some seirously backwards logic. If it became illegal then teens would probably be more likely to try it: If it were illegal then knowledge of it would spread and people would start to experiment with it more. Take the Netherlands for instance...there, weed is LEGAL, and it's smoked a little less than half as much as in the US, where it is ILLEGAL.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: A Legal Hallucinogenic Herb [Re: dblaney]
    #4136474 - 05/05/05 05:40 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Olsen said, "I can see how it could be harmful if somebody didn't know how to handle themselves. They might not know where they are or what they're doing, and do something stupid."

Sounds like a few people I know when they are piss drunk.

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
Re: A Legal Hallucinogenic Herb [Re: dblaney]
    #4136634 - 05/05/05 07:30 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Some studies have actually linked salvia with depression.

As a cure.
I guess the guy just forgot to mention that last detail :rolleyes:

OfflineCubieman420
Sharing in thegroove
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: A Legal Hallucinogenic Herb [Re: esin]
    #4137441 - 05/05/05 11:47 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

How is salvia not illegal yet? I am sure it will be before 2006.

--------------------
"...now waters run free, no more fish in the sea..."
1983-2004

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: A Legal Hallucinogenic Herb [Re: esin]
    #4137496 - 05/05/05 12:05 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

source?

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: A Legal Hallucinogenic Herb [Re: Jim]
    #4137902 - 05/05/05 01:47 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I've heard of it as a treatment for depression too, although more through anecdotal reports, but yeah.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds