Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Girl Scouts Sue Delinquent Cookie Buyers
    #4114620 - 04/30/05 12:37 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Deadbeat cookie sales: Girl Scouts sue to recoup money

By DAVID DOEGE
ddoege@journalsentinel.com
Posted: April 28, 2005

Waukesha - A usually unseen side of the Girl Scouts' annual cookie sale surfaced Thursday when the Great Blue Heron Council of the organization filed small-claims lawsuits accusing two couples and three women of not ponying up for goodies they ordered.

"Please note that non-payment for Girl Scout cookies represents fraud," the council noted in form letters that preceded the legal action, according to the lawsuits. "We are willing to work with you to set up a repayment plan; however, you must call within the next two weeks to make these arrangements.

"After that time, we will take whatever steps are necessary, including submitting this information to a collection agency, to protect our interests."

Christine Slowinski, communications director for council, said the lawsuits, which this year concern amounts ranging from $301.42 to $1,485.68 for 2003 and 2004 orders, are an unfortunate annual undertaking.

"Thankfully, it's a very small part of the process," Slowinski said. "If we can't get the proceeds, then the programs that we have available are affected."

Slowinski said the delinquents each year are a mix of parents who owe money for their daughters' cookies and people who pay for cookies with rubber checks.

"We call many times before taking this step," Slowinski said. "We send them letters. When all else fails, this is our last resort. It's something we prefer not to do."

Named in the lawsuits filed in Waukesha County Circuit Court this year are: Kimberly and Saturino Ortega of Waukesha ($406.42); James and Vanessa Edwards of Brookfield ($1,485.68); Teri Milligan of West Bend ($310.42); Tricia Hallett of Waukesha ($473.42); and Gianna George of Oconomowoc ($301.42). None of the people named could be reached for comment Thursday.

"June 20, 2003 - Went to bank (credit union) to see if I could redeposit (the check), and they said she had a stop payment on it," a council representative noted on a call sheet for Vanessa Edwards, according to that lawsuit. "She told me to stop calling her at work.

"I told her the Girl Scout office will be taking care of this situation from now on."

In a letter the council received from Vanessa Edwards on Nov. 22, 2004, she wrote: "The desires of my heart are to serve God to the fullest and in this wise (sic), it is with great desire and much enthusiasm that I strive to clear my name. In an effort to pay my debt and clear my name, this is a letter of intent. Starting January 2005, you will receive a monthly payment until my debt has been repaid."

Before closing, Edwards noted, "Also, it would be greatly appreciated if you would please report to the credit reporting agencies that this account is being settled."

The council's suit against Edwards and her husband seeks $371.42 plus triple damages totaling $1,114.26 for a total of $1,485.68.

"I have called at least seven times and left numerous messages, but I have not gotten a return call," a council representative noted on a call sheet for Milligan, who is being sued for $310.42 for 104 boxes of cookies sold by her daughter in 2004, according to that lawsuit.

"From 3/5/04 to 3/10/04 - Every day contacted and spoke with mother," a representative noted on a call sheet for the Ortegas, who are being sued for $406.42 worth of cookies delivered to their daughter, according to that lawsuit. "Said on numerous occasions she would have a check."

At another point, the representative noted, "Told us that they never agreed to pay for any donated cookies - that they had no idea what I was talking about."

"The way it is set up, the girls are to receive a portion of the money from their sales, and that money goes to their troop," Slowinski explained. "But that money can't go to the troop until we get paid.

"That's why we do this."

From the April 29, 2005, editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
Re: Girl Scouts Sue Delinquent Cookie Buyers [Re: MrBump]
    #4114827 - 04/30/05 01:49 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

there's just too many fucking lawyers in this country

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Girl Scouts Sue Delinquent Cookie Buyers [Re: question_for_joo]
    #4115401 - 04/30/05 04:37 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Too many embezzling scumbags too.

--------------------

OfflineMrBump
 User Gallery

#4118604 - 05/01/05 12:24 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

question_for_joo said:

I'm sorry? How else are the Girl Scouts going to get their money?
Maybe they should hire goons to break these people's thumbs?

These people are trying to rip off a non-profit community based program...and it's all the lawyers' fault?

--------------------

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #4118720 - 05/01/05 12:57 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

How else are the Girl Scouts going to get their money?

Fuck for money?

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #4119074 - 05/01/05 02:42 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

well the girl scouts are stupid for keep giving boxes of cookies to these deadbeats who weren't paying

i'd be like, hey, after 4 boxes of chocolate crispies and if you don't give me the money, you don't get any more honey, see?

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

OfflineMrBump
 User Gallery

#4125359 - 05/02/05 09:01 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

question_for_joo said:
well the girl scouts are stupid for keep giving boxes of cookies to these deadbeats who weren't paying

i'd be like, hey, after 4 boxes of chocolate crispies and if you don't give me the money, you don't get any more honey, see?

wow..... :rolleyes:

--------------------

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#4125456 - 05/02/05 09:24 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

question_for_joo said:

Well appearantly at least one of them is the parent of a girlscout who basically spent the money that her daughter collected.

The other ones seem very shady at best. How exactly do you buy over $300 worth of girlscout cookies and have them delivered before making any payment? It isnt like these people are being sued over a $5 box of cookies, this is straight up pre-meditated fraud. People will fucking do anything for money.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4125485 - 05/02/05 09:29 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

question_for_joo said:

Do you ever have anything to say that won't make me feel stupider for having read it?

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Girl Scouts Sue Delinquent Cookie Buyers [Re: Silversoul]
    #4125544 - 05/02/05 09:39 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Jumpin' Jebus, is there a full moon or something tonight? Seems like every thread I've checked tonight has got people slangin' each other.

Paradigm, you know better than that. Address the post, not the poster.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Loc: California
    #4126181 - 05/03/05 12:11 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Maybe a solution would be to stop selling cookies. Its obviously not working if people arent paying. Or maybe they should collect the money upfront then deliver the product so people dont give them the shaft. In all honesty, taking it to court is just them trying to avoid the fact their system sucks.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

OfflineMrBump
 User Gallery

Re: Girl Scouts Sue Delinquent Cookie Buyers [Re: AaronEvil]
    #4131477 - 05/04/05 06:16 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

that would work for the buyer at the end of the chain that only wants 4 boxes of Samoas...mmmmm, Samoas.

but if your little girlsscout turns out to be a mini-Mary Kay saleswoman and can sell the shit all over the neighborhood, how can you be expected to fork over $1,500 in advance?

maybe they should start selling the boxes to local grocers who put them on display in their stores, but then people would complain that another piece of nostalgia, the girlscouts selling cookies door to door, would be wiped out by the greed of a very few.

do you want to see the Girlscout cookies selling on the shelves of Wal-Mart?

--------------------

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

#4132038 - 05/04/05 10:38 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I wouldnt mind seeing them in the store. But, I dont think that would be any better. Getting the money upfront is the only way to be sure you sell only what you produce. If someone cant afford to pay for the cookies they want upfront, maybe they dont need cookies that bad. If the girl can sell the cookies really well, power to her, she has all the money upfront and knows exactely how many boxes she needs, and who they go to. Payment is made, and cookies are delivered. No more worrying about people not paying.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Girl Scouts Sue Delinquent Cookie Buyers [Re: AaronEvil]
    #4133055 - 05/04/05 02:20 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Unless Mommy embezzles the money from the cookie jar

--------------------

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Re: Girl Scouts Sue Delinquent Cookie Buyers [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4135368 - 05/04/05 10:43 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Unless Mommy embezzles the money from the cookie jar

Haha.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomOmatic
Ethno Apprentice
Male User Gallery
Loc: Sailing the Seas of Chees...
    #4567670 - 08/22/05 06:54 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

question_for_joo said:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates