Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
The Kabbalistic Tree of Life - Mystical, Magical Map
    #4135138 - 05/05/05 12:07 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

I left the study and practice of science at age 18 to experiment with Ceremonial Magic. (I wish I could show you all a photo of my Magick Circle, but my Father's original black and white Polaroid camera [which you had to flip four switches to take a pic] would NOT register the image! It worked fine with my home laboratory bench, my LASER holography set-up, but NOT on the Magick Circle!) I was reading books like What Witches Do by Stewart Ferrar, Aleister Crowley's Magick in Theory and Practice, A.E. Waite's book Ceremonial Magic and others. One thing they all had in common was the diagram of The Kabbalistic Tree of Life. That was in 1972. In 1978 I discussed Kabbalism with some Lubavitcher Hasidim who used to visit my Father's business on Fridays, and I worked there for a year before grad school. I was an apostate - a heretic Jew - because I had accepted Jesus as my spiritual Master. The discussions could be heated!

I left the Western esoteric mind-set for the Eastern Yogic one at that time and the Chakras began to attract me. My practice of suburban asceticism, even while at college during the Quaaluded and Coked-up mid 1970's, preoccupied the remainder of my college life, though Yoga was shelved somewhat during two years at a Christian seminary, but it returned in grad school for which I wrote a 222 page Doctoral Dissertation on the Tibetan Buddhist Doctrine of Psychic Centers. That was in 1983.

About a year ago, the model of The Tree of Life, as described not by occultists, nor by Orthodox Jews began to attract my attention. This has NOTHING to do with the cultural notariety of someone like Madonna-Esther (who some of my Jewish middle school counselees have met at the Miami Kabbala Center). I am past the age where Orthodox Jews say that study of Kabbalistic matters makes sense, and they do. The Yogic Chakra models, both Hindu and Buddhist still make sense. Indeed, some of the books parallel the Kabbalistic spheres with the chakras. Yoga still makes the most practical sense in the use of psychedelics for moving the energy around one's system, but, The Tree of Life has now made itself clear to me as a Macro-Model for the developmental tasks of an entire lifetime. It is a "zoom out" perspective versus the Yogic "zoom in" model. If you've ever used 'Map Quest,' you know the usefulness of both perspectives.

I wanted to share my enthusiasm. All I will add is that I've re-discovered a treasure trove of new insights. Layer upon layer of meaning and correspondances are opening up. One does not need to know Hebrew any more than one needs Sanskrit to use Yoga successfully. While interested in Magick, it is Mysticism that has preoccupied me since 1974. I'll simply finish with a few illustrations including the pendant that I've been wearing over my Heart Center - Tiphereth. In Christian Cabala, this Center of the Sun becomes the Son. Earth is below, Heaven is above, and all are aspects of GOD.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: The Kabbalistic Tree of Life - Mystical, Magical Map [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #4135233 - 05/05/05 12:19 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

I left the study and practice of science at age 18 to experiment with Ceremonial Magic. (I wish I could show you all a photo of my Magic Circle, but my Father's original black and white Polaroid camera (which you had to flip four switches to take a pic) would NOT register the image!

Are you saying that the camera would not register the image for reasons to do with magic, or for reasons to do with a camera malfunction, or you're not sure?

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #4135637 - 05/05/05 01:32 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

Anywhere online where your dissertation is available?

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: The Kabbalistic Tree of Life - Mystical, Magical Map [Re: Diploid]
    #4136442 - 05/05/05 07:25 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

I'm NOT saying. But I am saying that numerous attempts, sandwiched between shots of science equipment that did develop. At the time, the seeming refusal to develop shots of magickal apparatus reminded me of shamen whose images could not be 'captured' on film because they believed that it would amount to 'loss-of-soul' and somehow interfered with the physical process.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: The Kabbalistic Tree of Life - Mystical, Magical Map [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4136464 - 05/05/05 07:34 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

I'm afraid not, but thanks for inquiring. I once received a royalties check for 2 microfiche and 3 hardcopies though. Llewelyn and Samuel Weiser publishers both thought it was "too scholarly" for their readers. It was titled: A Phenomenological Adaptation of the Tibetan Buddhist Doctrine of Psychic Centers to a Metatheoretical Hierarchy of Human Motivation, Microfilms International, Inc., 1983. I had a six word title, the committee made me extend it to sound like a dissertation (which it was). I still follow the framwork for spiritual human development.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4137059 - 05/05/05 12:10 PM (12 years, 25 days ago)

Verrry interesting! Just wondering; have you any experience with the author Lon Milo DuQuette? He wrote a sort of Qabbala for dummies book. I was wondering if it was worth reading? :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4137520 - 05/05/05 02:17 PM (12 years, 24 days ago)

I once read "The Tree of Life" by Israel Regardie followed by "Magic in Theory and Practice" by Crowley. I was basically interested in Zen Buddhism at the time. I too found many parallels between the Kaballah and Zen (some of the stuff in "The Three Pillars of Zen" by Philip Kapleau Roshi impressed me this way) as well as what I knew of the yogic chakras. I find the Tree of Life to be an excellent, and valid, working model of the human mind as well as the universe. Love the necklace.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: The Kabbalistic Tree of Life - Mystical, Magical Map [Re: Icelander]
    #4139275 - 05/05/05 09:11 PM (12 years, 24 days ago)

No, I don't know that book but I'll look for it. Will Parfitt's book is excellent as an intro and still a good read for those familiar with the material.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4139366 - 05/05/05 09:44 PM (12 years, 24 days ago)

He wrote a book I read called My Life in the World of Spirits. Kind of an autobiography of a magician. I really enjoyed it and read it stright through. He's very modest and yet seems to have experienced amazing things.  :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #4139468 - 05/05/05 10:05 PM (12 years, 24 days ago)

Found your name out :tongue:... but no information about it. I like the scholarly stuff.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#4139603 - 05/05/05 10:38 PM (12 years, 24 days ago)

Markos, I have followed your posts for some time and I pretty much figured you have experimented in ceremonial magick by your aptitude for spiritual thinking.

I too share your enthusiasm for this most amazing gift that all humans are capable of (although i rarely post in this forum...I have learned to choose my "peers" in this matter more wisely than i once did).

You touched on one thing that has never left my mind since I began my studies. The age at which it is said these matters "make sense". Like you, i started very young. My first breakthrough experience was at 16 and I started studying at 17. It has been 8 years and I can already tell my age and experience is bringing new wonders and understanding. I, of course, was cocky when i was younger and I could not understand why some rituals had age restrictions, etc. but as i develop it all becomes more clear.

Anyways, I have found Crowley's "Book IV" to be quite filled with enough occult knowledge to occupy a lifetime of meditation. However, like you said, one does not need to know the languages and correspondences of the art because you will know them once you have attained understanding, regardless of anything you have read and anything you have memorized from other sources.

Indeed, the tests of many mystical schools (back when they existed) relied on the student's ability to derive meaning and correspondence from questions seemingly unrelated to their literature studies.

Quote:

The Tree of Life has now made itself clear to me as a Macro-Model for the developmental tasks of an entire lifetime.

Yes! It is both a macrocosm and microcosm. It can be used as a "roadmap" for an entire lifetime as well as a roadmap for a short psychological expedition. It can be used in meditation to attain enlightenment and in mundane day-to-day tasks. It is the ultimate model of perfection in our universe.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: The Kabbalistic Tree of Life - Mystical, Magical Map [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4139607 - 05/05/05 10:39 PM (12 years, 24 days ago)

Well, I'm an open book, but thanks for the discretion. I can look for the abstract and send it to you. I got the original idea from Ram Dass, and let his secretary know only last year. In his book 'The Only Dance There Is' he gave me the idea to use Hindu Yogic chakra psychology, so I made an 'original contribution to the store of knowledge' by using (with his personal permission) Lama Govinda's Kagyu version of Buddhist Yoga, showing how certain Western psychological theorists matched the Buddhist psychological states of motivation according to an ancient model. Western theorists who disagreed were actually ALL correct - not contradictory. Each was speaking of a level of motivation which could be arranged hierarchically - Freud, Adler, Jung, Frankl, Maslow, Rogers and a synthesis.

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#4141018 - 05/06/05 07:57 AM (12 years, 24 days ago)

many of the magic truths are mental constructs which act as lenses, helping to focus mind on the mind-screen.
they can all be right - as tools for focussing, but not as truths in themselves.
a series of interconnected chackras is a great key - unlocks many doors - maybe it is a key of life more than a tree of life, or is a tree not a key?

InvisibleeMotionALLmotion
DivineeMotive....

Loc: The Symphony of Lights......
Re: The Kabbalistic Tree of Life - Mystical, Magical Map [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4142376 - 05/06/05 03:08 PM (12 years, 23 days ago)

Alex Grey

Keys and doors to tones, undertones, & overtones......

--------------------
Uni-VersALL      MasterPeace
eMotive  :sun: Divinity NowThere Infinity :sun:  eMelody

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: The Kabbalistic Tree of Life - Mystical, Magical Map [Re: eMotionALLmotion]
    #4144151 - 05/06/05 11:16 PM (12 years, 23 days ago)

Thank you one and all for your interest and responses. I have of late waxed nostalgic over those late 19th century occult lodges - the benevolent ones - in this age of cell phones and hip hop. At age 18 I was accessing the mental plane over the physical plane, and now it seems, I am back again. There was no one to converse with then (except for a brief semester in college during which my roommate and I performed a ritual from our respective circles at midnight on Halloween 1972, in the basement of the Interfaith Chapel). This archaic form of exploration really forces a few wacky individuals into a lonely space in the 21st century. Here, for example, are some pentacles and a scrying crystal that once belonged to Doctor John Dee, astrologer and magician to Queen Elizabeth I (British Museum). A few of you might appreciate this.

Thanks again.
Peace.
-MtG

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: The Kabbalistic Tree of Life - Mystical, Magical Map [Re: Catalysis]
    #4145283 - 05/07/05 09:43 AM (12 years, 23 days ago)

Book IV used to be included with copies of 'Magick in Theory and Practice' because it actually IS part of the book. I used to have a copy (but burned it in my'born again' phase of life with [not kidding] Wizard brand barbeque lighter fluid)! I now own the paperback copies of both. Crowley (pronouned to rhyme, he said, like "Holy Crowley") literature can suck one in by its fascinating detail and prevent one from reading classic works on mysticism and magick. Careful with that  :tongue:

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: The Kabbalistic Tree of Life - Mystical, Magical Map [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4148855 - 05/08/05 01:47 AM (12 years, 22 days ago)

It's a strange conflict - the yearning for simplicity (as in Zen) and the fascination with esoteric knowledge (as in Western occultism). Crowley could be an insightful Qabalist - a mystic, yet it always seemed to me that his magickal evocations were merely a theatrical excuse for some sexual excess. The interview I have of Crowley's student Regardie portrays Regardie as quite a curmudgeon - despite his life as a psychotherapist. But then, I 'assume' that to be a psychotherapist one should be centered on Compassion. My bad.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: The Kabbalistic Tree of Life - Mystical, Magical Map [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4148871 - 05/08/05 01:52 AM (12 years, 22 days ago)

The Tree appears to be the 'whole enchilada.' One can overlay the chakra models over it and see phenomenological similarity, if not identity. A Metatheory - a 'theory of theories' - both of them, West and East. When one realizes that one is lost (which is in itself rare), the discovery of a map is met with great thanksgiving and honor for the mapmaker (or, if you prefer, in the metaphor of 'The Matrix' - the "Keymaker").

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #4148924 - 05/08/05 02:17 AM (12 years, 22 days ago)

I have of late waxed nostalgic over those late 19th century occult lodges..

You really need to get out more, my friend.  :wink:

Give your eyes some rest and take a stroll around your neighborhood and talk to everyday people- I feel it will do you a great deal of good. I lean towards study myself so I find myself taking this advice from time to time as well.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: The Kabbalistic Tree of Life - Mystical, Magical Map [Re: Jellric]
    #4149010 - 05/08/05 02:54 AM (12 years, 22 days ago)

Sorry to give the impression of a tubercular 19th century bookworm  :wink: It's not like that at all. Miami is the epitomy of 'The Matrix' and people are sound asleep - driving 20 mph on a 3-lane highway to dial their cell phones, oblivious and uncaring about anything except the mindless chatter that they should have dispensed with by the use of toy walkie-talkies when they were children.

I could be scuba diving like I used to (new worlds!), but I'm over all that. The sun caused me a cataract and melanoma, sagging wrinkled skin is not exactly a hobby I'm willing to work on, nor is exhibitionism at the nude beach (I still work in a local school).

We sunscreened up today after my Saturday morning psychotherapy client left, got in the Miata and went to 'Fresh Market' and bought a bottle of cabernet for tonight and some rose's for m'Lady's Mum. We also stopped at Borders Books & Music for a couple of hours for a Mum's Day card, found a book of Kierkegaard's on anxiety, and a study manual for m'Lady's upcoming course in anatomy (new job training in Heath Information Management). Spent 3/4 of the cash I made this morning, but heck, it is an avocation doing private work and the client is a sweet-but-sad 20 year old girl. I STILL would like to have a close group of like minds (if that were possible). I have not ever joined the Freemason's (like my Father before me), or any other fraternal lodge (Elks, or whatever). My Lady is great, but she 'dabbles' rather than getting serious. She is getting ready to read a second book on Kabbalism - can use the model - but despite being the same personality type (INTP) does not share the same passion for these esoteric things. Girls! :smile: See...I DO get out!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology