Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Coir, Paul Stamets, Peat, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebigboomers
Stranger
Your Experience With Peat Moss...
    #4134464 - 05/04/05 09:55 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I'm planning to use peat moss as a substitute for vermiculite using the PF Tech (1/2 peat, 1/4 water, 1/4 brf). I've already read two posts about two other guys on the board that have used peat moss, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experimented with it and had successful results. My impression so far is a faster colonization time, and possibly more Psilocybin from the extra bruising. Maybe this is because peat moss has more inherent nutes along with the brf? Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: Your Experience With Peat Moss... [Re: bigboomers]
    #4134468 - 05/04/05 09:56 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

no nutes ,plus bruising makes for less psilocybin think about it man but yea the pf tek with peat works great for me

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlinegoofy98
Heart of ahustler wrist ofa chemist
 User Gallery

Loc: next door
Re: Your Experience With Peat Moss... [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4134490 - 05/04/05 10:01 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

if it was good people would do it all the time. I personaly wouldnt let peat moss touch uncolonized substrate even if it had been sterilized. I have no reason for that though besides the fact i think peat moss holds contams tightly. stupid ink cap

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

Re: Your Experience With Peat Moss... [Re: bigboomers]
    #4134577 - 05/04/05 10:14 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Peat is  excellent if certain conditions are met. It naturally is a bit acidic, soo, this invites contaminants-true. However, growers add lime of some sort to make the peat moss more alkaline, thus warding off contaminants and welcoming mycelia growth. So if you use peat moss, make sure to pH balance it first. :smile: bluhoney

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: Your Experience With Peat Moss... [Re: bluhoney]
    #4134596 - 05/04/05 10:17 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

thats exactl wut i did added a bit of calcium carbonate sand

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Your Experience With Peat Moss... [Re: bluhoney]
    #4137513 - 05/05/05 02:15 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bluhoney said:

Peat is  excellent if certain conditions are met. It naturally is a bit acidic, soo, this invites contaminants-true. However, growers add lime of some sort to make the peat moss more alkaline, thus warding off contaminants and welcoming mycelia growth. So if you use peat moss, make sure to pH balance it first. :smile: bluhoney

:thumbup: :thumbup:

listen to her!~

she knows her mycology!~

:smile:

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Invisiblecrazytalken
SELECT
 User Gallery

Re: Your Experience With Peat Moss... [Re: Roadkill]
    #4137565 - 05/05/05 02:29 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Whats the word on Jiffy Mix. Ive heard people say you can use that in casing and it already has the pH adjusted(to a point). Any first hand experience?

--------------------
**"Both the psychedelic dream state and the waking psychedelic state acquire great import because they reveal to life a task: to become familiar with this dimension that is causing being, in order to be familiar with it at the moment of passing from life." -Terence McKenna

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Your Experience With Peat Moss... [Re: crazytalken]
    #4137582 - 05/05/05 02:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

not me.

I haven't tried jiffy mix.

---

I use 60/40 Verm and Coco Coir.

I also dabble with 50/50 +

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineSnarp
Stranger
Re: Your Experience With Peat Moss... [Re: Roadkill]
    #4138878 - 05/05/05 07:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

If you're worried about mixing for pH, get Pro-Mix or some such potting soil that's 95%+ peat moss. Its pH is already adjusted. Pro-Mix can be used as a lazy casing layer, without additives. I can think of no reason why it wouldn't work in a PF jar.

InvisibleShnezbit
Psycho-naught
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Threshold.
Re: Your Experience With Peat Moss... [Re: Snarp]
    #4139103 - 05/05/05 08:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i had a bag of pro-mix a fe months ago. it said somewhere on the bag it had a ph of around 4 which is too low. but maybe it was another brand name.....think it was pro-mix though.

InvisibleShnezbit
Psycho-naught
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Threshold.
Re: Your Experience With Peat Moss... [Re: Shnezbit]
    #4139105 - 05/05/05 08:20 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

o yea...i wanted to ask if you adjust ph before sterilizing or after?

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

Loc: close enough to get mysel...
Re: Your Experience With Peat Moss... [Re: Shnezbit]
    #4139261 - 05/05/05 09:08 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

before.

--------------------
Under his instruction, I taped drumsticks to his head and turned him into a sort of mummy, or perhaps a caterpiller in a cocoon. He remains this way for about three hours, making bizarre noises, pretending to be a new species that must learn to walk and talk and eat, etc. And he communicates with other life forms by way of the antennae on his head. Eventually we jam a tube from a waterbong into it's mouth and figure he's learned all he needs to know.

Invisiblesupernaut
why man
 User Gallery

Loc: Nunya, Bidniz
Re: Your Experience With Peat Moss... *DELETED* [Re: starseed1066]
    #4139663 - 05/05/05 10:54 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by supernaut

Reason for deletion: .

--------------------
We don't make music...we make music better...
we also make biscuits and gravy!

Offlinebluhoney
Female User Gallery

Re: Your Experience With Peat Moss... [Re: supernaut]
    #4141455 - 05/06/05 11:14 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Acidic pH lowers the risk of contaminants- yes. Adding lime makes the peat alkaline(basic). But mushrooms cannot grow in acidic peat. So the addition of lime comes into play. Yes- it then can be suitable for contaminants as well when the peat is alkaline. This is why you do not add nutrients to the casing layer. With out nutrients, germs have nothing to feed on (yes I know, some germs attack the mycelia). Being slightly acidic, peat doesn't have to be sterilized, but it does have to be limed to make it suitable for mushroom growth. One other point, peat naturally contains beneficial microfloa bacteria, which work in symbiosis with mushroom growth and adds natural resistance to germs invading the casing layer. That's the main reason why my friend disagrees with sterilizing your casing layer, you kill these "good" germs and allow a wide open hole for contamination. See, its all a race really. The casing, the substrate, the whole process is a race to colonization by the quickest and strongest of molds, fungus, bacteria. Who ever wins results in whether you have fruit to enjoy or nice green, grey, etc to toss out. Its the growers job to help out the mycelia as best they can. Kinda like the people holding the water sponges for the runners in races. Your holding the sponge for your racer, the mycelia. Don't let it down, adjust your pH, keep your humidity and moisture regulated, your temps controlled, airflow, and light adjusted. This will give your mycelia all the help and support it needs to win the race and in turn give you "fruit for your labor".:)bluhoney

--------------------

OfflineSnarp
Stranger
pH of potting soil... [Re: bluhoney]
    #4143067 - 05/06/05 05:48 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Shnezbit:

If it had a pH of 4, it wasn't adjusted. Limestone will bring it much closer to neutral.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: pH of potting soil... [Re: Snarp]
    #4143202 - 05/06/05 06:24 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

>Acidic pH lowers the risk of contaminants- yes.

Thats not right. Green thrives in lower acidic environments like 4-5, mushroom in higher neutral, or slightly alkaline environments (7-7.5). Having an acidic pH increases the risk of contaminants.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinebluhoney
Female User Gallery

Re: pH of potting soil... [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4143581 - 05/06/05 08:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

scatmanrav said
Quote:

That's not right. Green thrives in lower acidic environments like 4-5, mushroom in higher neutral, or slightly alkaline environments (7-7.5). Having an acidic pH increases the risk of contaminants.

Hence the reason I stated that it lowers the risk, not that it eliminates it. Becoming specific on what bacteria, microorganisms, germs, etc to what at when level, yes, you can find a number of things that thrive in both higher and lower pH. I was just summarizing. But in any right answer, someone can always find a wrong. Sorry for not being more scientific. Here is a quote  "since the acidic condition precludes many contaminants from colonizing it as a substrate, peat is considered to be a fairly "clean" starting material."--The Mushroom Cultivator p.131.
My answer is correct to me, but feel free to disagree. :laugh:bluhoney

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Coir, Paul Stamets, Peat, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation