Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCrazymfker
Stranger
2nd attempt
    #4134207 - 05/04/05 08:37 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

OK i am at it again ,

my first attempt at casing failed , there where a few reasons for the failure , first was to much moisture , i was able to lessen the amount of moisture by leaving it vented but my playing with it caused contamination , i am certian it was cobweb mold ;-} ,

for my second attempt i have done some more reading , i changed my method of sterilizing from boiling to microwave .

i am trying to mix a casing method and A bulk substrate ,

this is what i have done , i will list the layers i used from bottom to top , all are about 1/2 inch per layer

first i added some perlite , then verm , i then placed a few pieces of a colonized cake , then a layer of 50/50 ground wbs/verm , i then covered that with a layer of plain verm .

the reason i added perlite to the bottom of the casing was hoping it would hold more water and produce better flushes , has anyone tried this , i read somewhere about some one using this method , just can't find the post anymore ,

the only other thing that i am unsure of was will the amounts of colonized cake have any play in the over all out come ,

seeing as i am trying to learn this and experimenting i expect alot of failures before i get it right , so i am a bit reluctant to use a full cake each time i try a casing , i am using 1/4 cake per casing ,

i am hoping that my adding the perlite and 50/50 will allow more more moisture and more nutrients producing better flushes ,

how long do u think it will take to colonize my bulk substrate / casing mix ?

has anyone else tried turning a cake into A bulk substrate with success and good flushes ?

i will post my success or failures

" there is a fine line between genius and insanity ,
I HAVE ERASED THIS LINE "

thx for your time and wisdom ;-}

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: 2nd attempt [Re: Crazymfker]
    #4134274 - 05/04/05 08:58 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

how long do u think it will take to colonize my bulk substrate/casing mix ?

I did not see a bulk substrate listed in your procedures. If I am reading it correctly, I predict contamination long before colonization.

Quote:

has anyone else tried turning a cake into A bulk substrate with success and good flushes ?

People use PF cakes to spawn shit and/or straw all the time. You can find a few examples in the grow log section.

I suggest that you choose a good tek and follow it, getting a successful grow or two uder your belt before playing mad scientist. It's difficult to judge the success or failure of an experiment, and figure out the reason WHY it succeeded or failed, without a knowledge base.

Good luck.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineCrazymfker
Stranger
Re: 2nd attempt [Re: dog]
    #4135020 - 05/04/05 11:48 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i have read many teks and have experience growing pf cakes , but i have not seen a tek for exactly what i want to do . i want to grow a bulk sub but i don't want to use straw or dung , i would prefer using rice or wbs.

i will continue to play with it until i get the results that i want , this is all a learning experience for me .

i am amused by my failures as well as my successes

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation