Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMyztr0
Stranger
Humidity Question
    #4133911 - 05/04/05 07:25 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i plan to colonize twelve, half pint jars and use them all for

casings .if i use a rubbermaid tub (approx. tweny-thirty gallons) for

fruiting, is a thick layer of perlite/water at the bottom going to

be sufficient to obtain an eighty -ninety percent Rh.

also... assuming no contams during colonization, what do you think

will yield more... having less casings but using more jars in them

(3 casings, 4 jars a piece) or having more casings with less jars

per casing (6 casings, 2 jars a piece) or one really big casing with

all the jars

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Humidity Question [Re: Myztr0]
    #4133991 - 05/04/05 07:40 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Welcome to the Shroomery! As a general rule you do not need to use Perlite as a bottom layer for your casing. You can either use a small layer of casing mix or none at all. The purpose of casing is to provide a layer of protection for the mycelium during pinning/fruiting and provide the moisture it needs.

Casings still need misting, but only on a as needed basis. If the casing layer looks dry, you mist. If not than air exchange only. The casing layer in of itself will provide the humidity needed, provided you do not let it dry out from excessive air exchange.

As far as your question on the substrate amount is concerned, the thicker the substrate, the larger the fruits. I am speaking in generalities of course, but this is true in most cases. Based on your container size, 3-4 jars of colonized substrate should be sufficient.

Depending on your tripping experience you may want to scrap the casings for now and take a crack at bulk cultivation using horse manure. The mushrooms are much more potent and the substrate can be as thick as 4-5 inches, ultimately yielding some much larger fruits.

If potency is not as big an issue, try your hand at straight casings. You'll ultimately case bulk substrates too, but the potency is an issue for me.

If you have any other questions, try the search feature for your answers. If you still have questions give myself or the other members a chance to help you.

Good luck man.

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: Humidity Question [Re: Wronguy]
    #4134141 - 05/04/05 08:19 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

As far as your question on the substrate amount is concerned, the thicker the substrate, the larger the fruits. I am speaking in generalities of course, but this is true in most cases. Based on your container size, 3-4 jars of colonized substrate should be sufficient.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation