Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestartmeup
Stranger (withcandy)
Loc: chicago, IL
Pinning
    #4131820 - 05/04/05 09:30 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Hi all, first timer here. I've a problem with getting casings to pin. I think I've been doing everything right, but as I have gotten no results I thought I'd run it by the experts. Here's the scoop: B+, Equadorian, and Golden Teacher are the strains in question. All three spawned (using mycelium taken from a PF cake) onto cracked corn in pint jars, incubated at 86oF (+/- 2oF). Colonization times were under a week for all three strains. Cased w/ a bottom layer of verm and a top layer of 50/50 verm/peat w/ limestone flour added. Pre-pinning took about 4 days in the same incubator as the colonization run. Casings were cold-shocked (fridge) for 24 hours, and placed in the fruiting chamber, with a temp of 70oF and RH at around 75% (a little low, but I'm working on it). The casings have sat in the fruiting chamber for 9 days and nothing identifiable as a pin has emerged. Instead, it appears that the casing is still being colonized. I'm worried this is stroma/overlay, but I don't want to screw around with it if this is (fairly) normal. Any advice? I've been through a lot of grow-logs and have searched the forum, but I'm hesitant to do anything until I'm sure what's going on. Any help would be much appreciated.

--------------------
What, no ice?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: Pinning [Re: startmeup]
    #4131864 - 05/04/05 09:45 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

what are your lighting cycles?

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlinestartmeup
Stranger (withcandy)
Re: Pinning [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4131882 - 05/04/05 09:50 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Dammit, I read that thing four times and I KNEW i'd forget something. The fruiting chamber is an opaque-sided rubbermaid container with a plexi lid. The light it gets is whatever finds it's way through my living room windows and through the plexi. When I'm home, I turn on the overhead lights as well. They probably end up being in the dark for about 8 hours at night, with 16 hours of variable-intensity light, both artificial and natural.

--------------------
What, no ice?

Offlinedjsage420
aka DJQBNSIS
 User Gallery

Loc: Panhandle
    #4131892 - 05/04/05 09:53 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Its only been 9 days Ive had casings take 3 weeks before pinning, I have had success in stoping misting until I see pins and then lightly mist several times a day, you also need to fix that humidity problem it needs to be 80- 90% I usually have 90 running in my chambers, light is very unimportant here I just have my chambers next to window they do just fine free light no timer needed

--------------------
If you put your head to the grass, you can hear it growing

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#4131894 - 05/04/05 09:53 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

u want them to have a steadier light cylcle with not so many varying types of light, put a lamp over them 12 hours a day until u see the pins, once it pins onlyt put the light on for 1 hour a day

--------------------
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlineabaccusx
Shroomer

Re: Pinning [Re: djsage420]
    #4131897 - 05/04/05 09:54 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Fanning????

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Re: Pinning [Re: abaccusx]
    #4131903 - 05/04/05 09:56 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i think air exchange and lighting are the things in question

--------------------

Offlinedjsage420
aka DJQBNSIS
 User Gallery

Re: Pinning [Re: abaccusx]
    #4131905 - 05/04/05 09:56 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

yes fan at least twice a day, light is not important to shroom development its one of the least important variable in growing shrooms.

--------------------

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Re: Pinning [Re: djsage420]
    #4131908 - 05/04/05 09:57 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

yes i kno that thats why i only use 1 hour a day when fruiting but to induce pinning u should have about 12 hours a day

--------------------

Offlinestartmeup
Stranger (withcandy)
    #4131931 - 05/04/05 10:06 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I use a cool mist humidifier, and it's attached to the chamber w/ a garden hose (about 1.5 feet long). I was under the impression that this would take care of the air exchange. I open it up and fan it for 30 seconds or so once a day. Should I do this more often, even with the humidifier?

Even at its highest setting the humidifier only gets the chamber to 75% RH. Will perlite augment this adequately? Should I look into getting a different humidifier? (i'm using this one: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=...asin=B0006GQAOS )

--------------------
What, no ice?

Offlinedjsage420
aka DJQBNSIS
 User Gallery

#4131955 - 05/04/05 10:15 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Ive never used a humidifier I use a layer of pearlite soaked in water under my tray I have problems with too much humidity if I dont fan everyday I have found most success out of just simplifying everything.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix