Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
Re: Glove Box - Pos. pressure, all styles, etc... Questions [Re: Mobius_Strip]
    #4129368 - 05/03/05 07:40 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

HotNutz
I have the same question for you. What kind of filter are you using on the intake and do you sterylize the box before every use? What about things you put in the box, do you sterylize everything that goes in? If so, how?

Also, what is the ideal fan to use for good air flow? I was thinking about a amall blower.

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #4129520 - 05/03/05 08:16 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, that's a big hole. Place everything in and out of that hole when working. I spray my box out with Lysol before using, turn fan on, spray Lysol on HEPA filter, let run a few minutes and go to work. I wipe all jars and things going into box with Lysol or alcohol wipe. My intake filter is a small HEPA filter from HD. Around $20. Contams are kept out by the air flow. Used silicon to get it fairly air tight when closed up.
Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: HC  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Glove Box - Pos. pressure, all styles, etc... Questions [Re: HippieChick]
    #4129586 - 05/03/05 08:25 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Same problem I had hotnutz....

Tric. is all around me, it sucks...But cleaning everything wher I work...:thumbup:

I might get a box....but what i do now works fine :smirk:

-Gnostic

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
    #4129718 - 05/03/05 08:46 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mobius_Strip said:
HotNutz
I have the same question for you. What kind of filter are you using on the intake and do you sterylize the box before every use? What about things you put in the box, do you sterylize everything that goes in? If so, how?

Also, what is the ideal fan to use for good air flow? I was thinking about a amall blower.

I use a sponge with a bleach solution (1:100) to wipe down all jars as I load my already wiped down box (also with bleach). I use poly fill filters on my jar lids so after the box is loaded up, I gently mist the inside of the box with Lysol so I get the poly fill plugs and the Holmes HEPA filter cleaned up a bit. You can get the filter at Wally World or HD for about $20. Then I plug in the fan so the fumes can be knocked out. This only takes about 10 minutes. The fan IS NOT a computer fan. It's a 4" amplifier fan that's 85cfm. Still weak, but twice the amount of cfm than most computer fans. It's 110v so it can be spliced right into an old extension cord for easy installation. It can be bought a Radio Shack for $30. All the parts are installed with Liquid Nails. No duct tape, screws or any other shit like that. Tape will only harbor unwanted spores. The caulk works great for holding the parts in place and sealing them so no unwanted air gets in. Not a bad investment for $50 if it's built right.

Edited by hotnutz (05/03/05 08:51 PM)

OfflineVALIS
vast activelivingintelligencesystem
 User Gallery

Loc: neverwhere, az
Re: Glove Box - Pos. pressure, all styles, etc... Questions [Re: agar]
    #4130353 - 05/03/05 10:28 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:
I would suggest a google search for a pro grade glovebox, if you can afford it. Look HERE: for instance. A lot of light weight inexpensive glove box's came on the market after the anthrax mail scare.

That box costs $1,600... ( not including shipping ) which is the price of the "cheaper" 2ft chamber. Too bad, because it would be really nice were it affordable.

For 60-90 bucks, you could get something like this.

I spent some time looking around for other alternitives, check out this other post.

But really - it still seems that making your own with a clear plastic bin or some plexi-glass is the best route currently, due to the insanely exorbant prices of the boxes available commericialy...

--------------------
Nature is the Technology of the Divine.

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Glove Box - Pos. pressure, all styles, etc... Questions [Re: VALIS]
    #4130550 - 05/03/05 11:11 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah I agree with ya on that. A commercialy bought hood will run ya somethin for sure. I've got a glass beater in my garage. It would take a heck of a lot of mods to get it right for mycological work. Besides, I make a hell of a lot of money with it. Agars hood can easily be built with the funds he's got into his. Weather or not you can build it is another story.

Edited by hotnutz (05/03/05 11:13 PM)

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Glove Box - Pos. pressure, all styles, etc... Questions [Re: VALIS]
    #4131026 - 05/04/05 12:49 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

You could cut and glue plexi panels together easily but good 1/8" - 1/4" plexi isn't cheap either. All you need is access to a table saw and a good high tooth count sharp blade. Cutting the circles out is easy with an MDF or masonite circle template and a router with a pattern bit. Unfortunately all of this takes access to tools, materials and time. By the time you go through all of that you might as well make something custom, efficient and smart to make it worth your while. Otherwise, it makes more sense to buy one preassembled or go with the rubbermaid box. Unless of course one just wants another project to tackle or wants the experience of making a mighty fine glove box.  :smile:

The one I made looks a lot like this:

Except its 4x the size, made of plywood and plexi and has a staging chamber on one side. I'll post pictures once I have it all together and working.

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Edited by Mobius_Strip (05/04/05 12:54 AM)

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #4131117 - 05/04/05 01:26 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I originally built a standard glove box which worked very well. however, I soon grew tired of fumbling with gloves so I converted it to a posive pressure glove box by removing the gloves (leaving the arm holes open) and using a dryer hose to pipe the exhaust of a small HEPA filter into the back of the box. In a sense it's a portable flowhood like someone^^ else mentioned.

This not only made it more convenient to use, but dropped my contam rate even further (near zero). I find that the air flow into the box must be kept rather high for best performance. I think a lower air flow causes contams to be sucked in through the arm holes by a backwash of air around my arms.

The best thing is no more fucking with gloves! I clean my hands to the elbow and I'm good to go.

edit: typo

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Edited by dog (05/05/05 03:30 AM)

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Glove Box - Pos. pressure, all styles, etc... Questions [Re: dog]
    #4131784 - 05/04/05 09:19 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Awesome Dog!
Which HEPA filter did you use? I have a small Holmes HEPA w/ a negative ion generator built in but I'm concerned it wouldn't be strong enough. How did you contain the HEPA unit to blow air into your box? Likewise, how did you attach the dryer hose to the HEPA unit? Did you have to build another box to contain the HEPA filter? And did you filter the air a second time before it entered the box? Do you have any pictures of your setup? I'd like to see how you took care of these issues.

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

#4134123 - 05/04/05 06:15 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Oops, I tripped...on a rock.

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

#4135776 - 05/05/05 12:04 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Hi...

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

Invisibledog
straw dog

#4136302 - 05/05/05 03:43 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Here it is:

The HEPA is a self contained unit that I bought at Sears. I used a sheet of plastic cut from the lid of a Stearlite tub and a round PVC fitting to make a flange that mounted on the HEPA exhaust. A standard dryer hose was clamped onto the PVC fitting. The other end of the hose is clamped to another PVC fitting epoxyed into the back of the glove box. I used clamps for the hose for ease of disassembly for cleaning and moving.

It works like a charm. I use it for grain transfers and agar work mainly.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#4136309 - 05/05/05 03:52 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Hey dog....

Doesn't that create a + pressure....what is it released (filter....ect)

-Gnostic

Invisibledog
straw dog

Re: Glove Box - Pos. pressure, all styles, etc... Questions [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4136312 - 05/05/05 03:57 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not sure what you are asking.

The HEPA creates a positive pressure in the box. The constant flow of clean air through the box prevents contams from infiltrating.

--------------------

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Glove Box - Pos. pressure, all styles, etc... Questions [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4136323 - 05/05/05 04:14 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

"The constant flow of clean air through the box prevents contams from infiltrating. "

The HEPA Pumps Air In the Glove Box....So it has a Positive pressure then....So when pressure builds where it is Released....or....is it just not? lol

-Gnostic

Invisibledog
straw dog

#4136330 - 05/05/05 04:23 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Look at the picture I posted. Do you not see the two armholes in the front of the box?

--------------------

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

#4136870 - 05/05/05 09:19 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

He doesn't use gloves in the arm holes so the positive pressure exhausts through the arm holes and around his arms while he's working. This allows him to use regular gloves or no gloves at all.

Thanks for the picture dog.

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Loc: Parts Unknown
    #4138512 - 05/05/05 03:58 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Lol, my glovebox sure seems ghetto now. I just got a 95qt sterilite with a clear lid, cut two holes in it for arms, and duct taped some dish gloves in the holes. I never wipe off my jars, i just put them in there. I use alcohol wipes for what minimal cleaning I do while working in it. I spray oust after loading with materials and put the lid on and let sit 20 mins. I am well over 500 jars done of cakes and grains over 4months with about 3% contam rate:) If it ain't broke, etc hehe.

--------------------
If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?

OfflineL0ve777IT
Stranger

#11768222 - 01/05/10 01:22 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Hey guys I'm having a hard time comprehending the positive pressure glovebox. if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. firstly, I am wondering what would be my best bet? a regular still air glove box or positive pressure glove box?

Then secondly how do i construct these glove boxes? I understand how to create a still air glove box and some what understand how to create a positive pressure glove box, but i would really appreciate a schematic from an indivisual with experience. That way i can get it right the first time.

If any of you guys could help me out by explaining this to me to the best of your ability or posting a hyperlink for me to follow that would be GREATLY appreciated!

Feel free to message me 1 on 1.... THANK YOU for your time

Offlinesceebo
Mr. Natural
Male User Gallery

Loc: Way Out West
Re: Glove Box - Pos. pressure, all styles, etc... Questions [Re: agar]
    #22565421 - 11/23/15 08:58 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks a million for this sharing.  I like it!  Made mine the same.

Update:  I created a version two of my hepa filtered positive air box. It is in a larger plastic tote with a more effective hole design, It creates a nice curtain of clean air between me and box. The new entry hole design made it easier to bring quart jars in without tilting by them for G2G.  I’ve been just wearing nitrile gloves and working after cleaning my arms and gloves with alcohol .

The problem  is that it is NOT “SAF” as BOD would say.  Good plan:  keep your research as simple as possible for the greatest chance of success.  This is why I’m going to retire my fancy box  in favor of the authentic BOD SAF SAB.  I have very few  issues with contamination as long as I am always diligent about working clean. 

Kudos to BOD (and other members) for seeing simple solutions to every day hobby tasks and methods.

Edited by sceebo (11/23/17 10:08 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag