Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

COP SPEAKS OUT FROM GRAVE AGAINST WAR ON DRUGS
    #4126411 - 05/03/05 03:49 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

The brother of a dead Vancouver cop will make a rare public appearance Sunday night at a movie theatre to tell how the department attempted to silence his brother's controversial views on drugs.

Randy Puder will be on a panel at Pacific Cinematheque as part of the Downtown Eastside Film Festival's showing of four police-related films, one featuring his brother Const. Gil Puder, who died of cancer four years ago at age 40.

"It'll give me a chance to clarify and depolarize the issue of police excessive force and drug crackdowns that don't work, and maybe offer some insight into what might work a bit better," said Puder, who works in the information technology business.

He said the debate around drug strategies couldn't come at a better time, as the Vancouver police department is two months into its crackdown on drug dealers in the Downtown Eastside.

"I know Gil would be critical of what's going on, and that one pillar can't go charging off into the wild blue yonder to solve things."

The documentary, Stopping Traffik: The War Against the War on Drugs, chronicles Puder's career from 1984, when he was hailed as a "hero" for shooting a heroin-addicted bank robber, to his painful conclusion that the so-called war on drugs wasn't working.

In an editorial in the Vancouver Sun in 1997 and in a presentation to the Fraser Institute in 1998, Puder called for the legalization of marijuana and decriminalization of heroin and opiates for medicinal purposes.

Puder had been ordered in a memo from then-Chief Const. Bruce Chambers not to appear at the Fraser Institute conference unless he changed the content of his speech.

In his speech, he criticized "police drug experts" for using "smear tactics and conjecture" in anti-drug speeches to school children. He also accused other cops of aggressively arresting "hypes, junkies or druggies" with no sympathy for the addicts.

For his views, Puder-a 17-year veteran of the force-became the subject of a lengthy internal investigation after complaints from fellow cops. His brother later wrote an article for a U.S.-based drug policy think tank alleging the investigation "was intended to discredit Gil's position."

"Through it all, Gil continued to speak at various conferences and public meetings," wrote Randy Puder in an April 2000 article for "The Drug Policy Letter." At one of these meetings, several drug squad members gathered in a group in an obvious attempt to harass and intimidate him."

Before he died, Puder wrote an unpublished book, titled Crossfire: A Street Cop's Stand Against Violence, Corruption and the War on Drugs. In it, Puder writes about his career as a street cop and how cops' use of force in drug crackdowns is damaging the integrity of policing-strong claims, considering Puder was a use-of-force trainer for the Justice Institute of B.C.

So far, the Puder family has decided not to publish the book because it's still grieving Gil's death. Randy said the book is based on documents, evidence and Gil's beliefs.

Organizers of the film festival have invited at least two other cops to be on the panel, but hadn't heard back as of Friday. SFU Prof. Bruce Alexander will be there to talk about Mao's successful approach to tackling opium addiction in China.

The night begins at 7 p.m. with Whistling Smith, a short 1975 National Film Board production about Sgt. Bernie "Whistling" Smith, who used to walk the beat in the Downtown Eastside.

Stopping Traffik follows shortly after, with two more films at 9:30 p.m.: Through a Clear Lens-a small group of youths' take on the interface between the cops and youth-and Through a Blue Lens, the award-winning police-shot documentary on drug addiction in the Downtown Eastside. Pacific Cinematheque is at 1131 Howe St.

http://www.mapinc.org/newsleap/v03/n871/a08.html

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: COP SPEAKS OUT FROM GRAVE AGAINST WAR ON DRUGS [Re: LSDempire]
    #4126424 - 05/03/05 03:51 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Nice article.

Down with state sponsored censorship! :hellfire:

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflineElvish
enthusiast
Re: COP SPEAKS OUT FROM GRAVE AGAINST WAR ON DRUGS [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4127398 - 05/03/05 01:15 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I wish I could be there to see that movie!
...and I'm eager to read the story of someone so independant in his thoughts and actions! This is another reason i wish to move to Canada
or at least the NorthWest.

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Psychoactive1984 [Re: Elvish]
    #4129987 - 05/03/05 11:28 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

You support the war on drugs and call me an idiot one day, and now you agreed with me?

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Psychoactive1984 [Re: LSDempire]
    #4130033 - 05/03/05 11:34 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Where the fuck did he say anything about supporting the war on drugs?

--------------------

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Re: Psychoactive1984 [Re: Silversoul]
    #4130083 - 05/03/05 11:44 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4130090 - 05/03/05 11:46 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, I've read that thread. Where does he say that he supports the War on Drugs?

--------------------

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

#4130094 - 05/03/05 11:46 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

This is his response to my opinion on the war on drugs.

"You want people to respect your beliefs, although you as a person aren't worthy of respect, and neither is your belief. I'm having trouble discering which is more ignorant you or your beliefs."

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4130104 - 05/03/05 11:49 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Again, WHERE DOES HE SAY THAT HE SUPPORTS THE WAR ON DRUGS???

--------------------

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

#4130110 - 05/03/05 11:49 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Another response to my views to the war on drugs.

"You don't have to agree with me, you just merely have to use your brain.

I've pointed out why you lack common sense, sorry if you fail to see the reason; perhaps it requires some of this "common sense".

Think beyond an original action, and think of the consequences on all scales before you make petty pre-pubescent notions of revolution."

He supports the war on drugs by attacking anyone that wants to end the war on drugs.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4130120 - 05/03/05 11:51 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Bullshit. He's attacking the fascist notion that those who support the War on Drugs deserve the death penalty.

--------------------

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

#4130127 - 05/03/05 11:52 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

He does not express tolerance for my opinion but "/bangs head on the wall.

No!

I'm telling you to express tolerance for the notion, especially in light of your current beliefs as to what is best."

Tolerate it though, that's all you'll be able to do short of planning a revolution (you're plan isn't that far off, and could be considered illegal as to its orientation... just letting you know, especially if its an organized effort to maim). Change happens faster when your inside directly manipulating the mechanics of a system, rather then staring on the outside bitching about it. If you feel that strongly.... get inside, and effect a change, that is "tolerant"... just because you aren't given the same form of tolerance, doesn't mean that you must demean yourself does it? Explain how your plan would be beneficial to society at large, and not your "select group"... with the imprisoning, and killing and all.

When your done, look up fascist philosophy, and comment on how it applies to your situation."

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Facist [Re: LSDempire]
    #4130136 - 05/03/05 11:53 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Punishing war criminals is antifascist

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: Facist [Re: LSDempire]
    #4130157 - 05/03/05 11:56 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

If by war criminals you mean thought criminals, then no, it is fascist.

--------------------

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

The DEA is fascist, LSD is Libertarian [Re: LSDempire]
    #4130164 - 05/03/05 11:57 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

How is the notion of shooting war criminals fascist? It would be fascist to allow these war criminals to continue to evade justice.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: The DEA is fascist, LSD is Libertarian [Re: LSDempire]
    #4130168 - 05/03/05 11:58 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

They are not war criminals. They are people who disagree with you. Killing people for having different opinions = fascist.

--------------------

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Are you sure you read thread? [Re: LSDempire]
    #4130175 - 05/03/05 11:59 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

"Any person that forces FGM onto another person needs to be shot in the head. Thinking their is nothing wrong if FGM is irrelevant. My point is I do not want to harm people for what they think, its what they do."

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Re: Are you sure you read the thread? [Re: LSDempire]
    #4130185 - 05/04/05 12:01 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

"I have only voted Libertarian. How is voting Libertarian, supporting the war on drugs? I would not have anyone harmed for voting or paying taxes. People who passively support the war on drugs would not be harmed, despite the fact that I cant stand them. I would only have people who actively support the war on drugs punished. If I actively supported the war on drugs I would shoot myself so nobody else would need to waste their time and ammunition."

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Re: Are you sure you read the thread? [Re: LSDempire]
    #4130196 - 05/04/05 12:03 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CaptainJailew said:
Many people support the WOD out of ignorance, they have been taught that drugs are the devil incarnate, and they believe it because social conditioning like DARE and after-school specials taught them about how bad "grass" is and how it destroys people's lives etc etc. It would not be just to put these people to death if they do not have the knowledge to make an informed decision.

Perhaps instead of dreaming up your murderous plots against the sheeple of the United States you should organize something that we like to call "proactive education." Try teaching people the truth, before you started engaging and (well, maybe not expanding in your case...) your mind with drugs you would have been put to death by someone like yrouself who would hold the same ideals.

Do you pay taxes? Vote? You are funding and supporting the war on drugs. You should committ suicide or move the fuck out of the country unless you are ready to come to terms with the fact that you are actively participating in the very structure you are condemning.

Your mentality is a self-fulfilling prophecy...

"The government thinks drugs make people go crazy and kill people and threatens the safety of the populous, SO LETS FUCKING DO SOME DRUGS AND KILL THE GOVERNMENT."

What do you expect with an outlook like that...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I have only voted Libertarian. How is voting Libertarian, supporting the war on drugs? I would not have anyone harmed for voting or paying taxes. People who passively support the war on drugs would not be harmed, despite the fact that I cant stand them. I would only have people who actively support the war on drugs punished. If I actively supported the war on drugs I would shoot myself so nobody else would need to waste their time and ammunition."

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Re: The DEA is fascist, LSD is Libertarian [Re: Silversoul]
    #4130213 - 05/04/05 12:05 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Their thoughts, opinions and feelings are irrelevant, I only want to punish people for their ACTIONS.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Political Discussion