Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMighty Bop
Big Boy

Loc: Nowhere
Why Wouldn't These Cakes Fruit? (Pics)
    #4124314 - 05/02/05 07:03 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

OK so these cakes have been in my PMP for almost a week now. I know sometimes it takes up to 2 weeks or so for them to fruit, and as you can see from the pics the humidity is at 96% (usually 97%) and the temp is 74 degrees (usually between 70-75). I did however birth the cakes when they were about 98% colonized, and this was because they were just taking WAY too long (about a month).

Anyways, with all that being said and with the pictures I have provided, what could possibly go wrong? The cakes look fine, I have the fresh air coming up through the pump, humidity is fine, and they get a little bit of light every day along with some extra O2.

Anything I could do to improve the situation? The last two attempts at growing were failures but my very first two were successes, so you can imagine how I feel. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Chris

--------------------
"One attaineth whatever state of being one thinketh about at the last when relinquishing the body, being ever absorbed in the thought thereof." - Sri Krishna to Arjuna, Bhagavad Gita, viii, 6

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinewzombie05
wz

Re: Why Wouldn't These Cakes Fruit? (Pics) [Re: Mighty Bop]
    #4124333 - 05/02/05 07:06 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i would wait it out, they look good to me you should be fine.

OfflineMighty Bop
Big Boy

Re: Why Wouldn't These Cakes Fruit? (Pics) [Re: wzombie05]
    #4124346 - 05/02/05 07:09 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I hope so. Thanks :smile:

--------------------
"One attaineth whatever state of being one thinketh about at the last when relinquishing the body, being ever absorbed in the thought thereof." - Sri Krishna to Arjuna, Bhagavad Gita, viii, 6

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
    #4124358 - 05/02/05 07:10 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

mighty_bop said:

You are kidding me right? Are those wbs cakes? Those sure do look like they were birthed prematurely and infected. Cakes=brf-verm, not grain. Grain=casings

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

Teh=The

I need to proofread

OfflineMighty Bop
Big Boy

Re: Why Wouldn't These Cakes Fruit? (Pics) [Re: tahoe]
    #4124379 - 05/02/05 07:14 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Yes they are BRF. The "infected" part you see is just uncolonized substrate. I know infection when I see it :wink:

--------------------

Offlinekratomboy
Drifter
 User Gallery

Loc: Nevada
    #4124382 - 05/02/05 07:15 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Can you give us a close up of some of the darker "patches" on the cakes? Those look questionable to me. If they are healthy though, you might see pins in the next week. My cakes have been taking anywhere from 3 days to 15 days to pin.

Offlinekratomboy
Drifter
 User Gallery

#4124393 - 05/02/05 07:18 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

mighty_bop said:
Yes they are BRF. The "infected" part you see is just uncolonized substrate. I know infection when I see it :wink:

Uncolonized subtrate=bad.  That might be why you've had such a high fail rate.  they might not be infected, but they're wide open now.  Wait until the cake has colonized 100% before birthing...  even then give it a few extra days just to make sure.  as for these cakes...  you could mist with h2o2/h2o solution and hope for the best.

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
    #4124404 - 05/02/05 07:21 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

mighty_bop said:
I know infection when I see it :wink:

Well i know stupidity when i see it, trash those cakes. Start over, and dont take them out until they are 1 week past full colonization. What were you thinking??????? :nonono:

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

Teh=The

I need to proofread

OfflineMighty Bop
Big Boy

Re: Why Wouldn't These Cakes Fruit? (Pics) [Re: kratomboy]
    #4124410 - 05/02/05 07:22 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Sure I'll try and get a close up for you guys. I know about the uncolonized=bad thing. I couldn't wait any longer though. It was getting ridiculous. The growth had all but stopped. But before this I've pretty much only birthed completely colonized cakes. I think I was having humidity problems before.

--------------------

OfflineMighty Bop
Big Boy

#4124418 - 05/02/05 07:24 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Tahoe, yes I guess you could say it was supid. Settle down.... I already have more cakes going. Everything is gonna be ok :smile:

--------------------

Offlinekratomboy
Drifter
 User Gallery

#4124439 - 05/02/05 07:32 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

What temps are you incubating them at? Usually when I have slow growth it's because I'm incubating them too cold. Now you're more than likely going to loose these to contam though... would have better to wait. Patience patience!

OfflineMighty Bop
Big Boy

#4124460 - 05/02/05 07:38 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I know I know :frown: As a matter of fact my incubation temps were rather low. I definitely messed up there (It had been awhile since I grew...) It very well may be my downfall for these cakes. But like I said, I have more cakes going right now in an incubator where the temps are ~ 84 degrees :smile: Wish me luck!

--------------------

Offlinekratomboy
Drifter
 User Gallery

#4124632 - 05/02/05 08:23 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

It's not a bad thing to incubate at a lower temp...  some people prefer cold-incubation due to some suposed effect on lower contamination results.  I'm not so sure about all that, but I have been cold-incubating at room temps because I just don't have time to keep an eye on things with a heater or TiT.  The only bad thing about it is that it does take longer.  Keep trying, and don't give up!  But you WILL learn patience by the end of it all, I promise you.  :sun:

Offlinegratefulredhead

Loc: Off the map....
    #4124959 - 05/02/05 09:33 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

patience is often the key! don't give up.

--------------------

OfflineMighty Bop
Big Boy

Re: Why Wouldn't These Cakes Fruit? (Pics) [Re: gratefulredhead]
    #4125621 - 05/02/05 11:58 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Oh I'll never give up that's for sure. I'll just keep buying more syringes if I have to......

--------------------

InvisibleShnezbit
Psycho-naught
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Threshold.
    #4125640 - 05/03/05 12:03 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

picking off any uncolonized substrate b4 fruiting is a good idea. leaving it on is a bad idea.

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

Loc: close enough to get mysel...
Re: Why Wouldn't These Cakes Fruit? (Pics) [Re: Shnezbit]
    #4125759 - 05/03/05 12:27 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

*nods* uncolonized substrate is a great place for nasties to get a good foothold.

--------------------
Under his instruction, I taped drumsticks to his head and turned him into a sort of mummy, or perhaps a caterpiller in a cocoon. He remains this way for about three hours, making bizarre noises, pretending to be a new species that must learn to walk and talk and eat, etc. And he communicates with other life forms by way of the antennae on his head. Eventually we jam a tube from a waterbong into it's mouth and figure he's learned all he needs to know.

InvisibleDK1
Male
Re: Why Wouldn't These Cakes Fruit? (Pics) [Re: starseed1066]
    #4161684 - 05/11/05 01:56 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I would suggest putting the lights on a timer for 18 hours a day to induce pinning and also increase the air exchange.

OfflineMighty Bop
Big Boy

Re: Why Wouldn't These Cakes Fruit? (Pics) [Re: DK1]
    #4165902 - 05/12/05 11:58 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well I pretty much gave up on these cakes and threw them out. They took way too long to colonize because the temps were not optimal. They may have eventually fruited, but I already had some other cakes ready to go. Are colonization times directly related to fruiting times?

--------------------

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: Why Wouldn't These Cakes Fruit? (Pics) [Re: DK1]
    #4166026 - 05/12/05 12:40 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

DK1 said:
I would suggest putting the lights on a timer for 18 hours a day to induce pinning and also increase the air exchange.

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation