Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Aimless drifter

Incubator problem with rye
    #4121465 - 05/02/05 01:28 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I'm using a TiT incubator (converted my fruiting terrarium into one so I'd have space) and was wondering what people put they're grain jars in to avoid contam problems? I've seen grows with their jars in bags, boxes, etc. assumedly because of an extra barrier for contams. Is this necessary? I used an open container with water and a water heater last time, and because I didn't put the lid on it, it got the jars contaminated, and I was hoping to avoid this again. I'm using polyfil if that helps at all. What kind of bags? I guess they would have to be resealable bags b/c I have to shake the jars right? Thanks everybody!

Edited by Stevo21 (05/02/05 02:58 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Stranger thanmost
Re: Incubator problem with rye [Re: Stevo21]
    #4122471 - 05/02/05 10:31 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

you could just shake the bag too.
everyone has there one set ups. some people make spawn bags while others use mason jars. there are also variouse methodsof keeping out contams. personally i like to use a metal awl (pointed screwdriver). Punch a hole in the centre of the metal lid. cut a square of furnace filter fabric to so that it fits larger than the size of jar you are using. spoon in your substrate, cover with lidrubber side down, cever metal lid with furnace filter, screw on metal lid. cut a square of foil to cover the jars lid. Pc that sucker for 90 min (personal pref). let cool and inoculate with syringe multispore or syringe LC. Got it?
When inoculating your jars... lift one side of the foil off jently. just enough so you can sneek the syringe needle underneath. poke the needle thru the funace filter. Remember you made the hole in the centre?? it's there so you can find it easily with the filter fabric covering it.
Ok thats my method. people will disagree with it. so what, works for me.
One other thing, its always good to make a coupleof controle jars ( jars you dont inoculate to see if anything grows. (if you get growth your doing something wrong)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation