Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
what do you think of this?
    #4120016 - 05/01/05 06:20 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

so I watched the remake of the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy a couple of days ago and noticed some really neat philisophical phrases.

a scientist who makes planets is on this huge contraption with our main character Mr Dent as they are being wisked about. Dent inquires about life, the universe, and the ultimate understanding of everything. the scientist shakes his shoulders and tells him that he couldn't really answer the question and doesn't really know. with stuff like this, it is impossible for anyone to be 100% sure.

"...besides, I'd rather be happy that be correct."

I sat back and thought, so is this saying ignorance is bliss?

I don't think so. I think it is an understanding all in its own. a submission to what is unknown.

what matters more; happiness, or understanding the "secrets" of the universe?

or could there be a middle way? not to be attached to the answer, but to keep an open eye out for clues...

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: what do you think of this? [Re: kaiowas]
    #4120237 - 05/01/05 06:46 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Read the books, they are at times very deep in some odd and zany discordianism way. In the movie, did it go into the part about travelling at the speed of R13, where R is equal to the time it takes to arrive at your destination 15 minutes late?

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Re: what do you think of this? [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #4120395 - 05/01/05 07:11 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I'll definately check those books out, I think there's 6 of them or something like that.

they didn't talk about R13.  actually, the movie cut off suddenly as they didn't show the end of the universe as they did on the BBC version of the book. 

the improbability drive is hella cool though  :grin:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4120670 - 05/01/05 07:59 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Can we really understand the final secret of the Universe? Or are we distracting ourselves because we are not ready to evolve into the happiness of being. I used to think trying to be happy was not as important as "the truth". I didn't have a clue about real truth. My girlfriend has shown me in action that happiness is the meaning of life.

Just an old guys thoughts through many a year and many ups and downs and many cosmic trips. Happiness is wholeness.

Very good post by the way. I think you have looked into something profound. :heart: :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: what do you think of this? [Re: Icelander]
    #4120831 - 05/01/05 08:31 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

What do you mean by final secret of the universe? There are countless secrets of the universe, but I don't think there's any "final" one, and I think humanity will never find enough secrets to even get relatively close to the final one.

I think because all we know is our perception of the universe, all we can figure out is our perception of the truth, which varies from person to person and even moment to moment. Truth is created, not found.

Anyway, kaiowas, if you think moments like that are cool you'd probably love the books. They try to be light-hearted and funny, but underneath the humorous chaos are some interesting philosophical concepts that the movie couldn't convey, especially since the movie didn't follow the books very well to my knowledge.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: what do you think of this? [Re: Ravus]
    #4120881 - 05/01/05 08:42 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Well of course you are right. But when I was growing up, Science, at least what we were being fed in school and the media, was making it sound like we were somehow going to figure it all out. Now I think some of this thinking still goes on today in our society. And also I was relating it to the constant quest for more and better that humans seem so preoccupied with, to the neglect sometimes of the beauty of a moment spent in the now. That's where happiness lives IMO. They say he who dies with the most toys wins. I haven't found that to be true. Yet many are striving for just that.  :mushroom2:

--------------------

Invisibledorkus
Re: what do you think of this? *DELETED* [Re: kaiowas]
    #4120946 - 05/01/05 08:53 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by dorkus

Reason for deletion: .

InvisibleMovingTarget

Loc: temporary
Re: what do you think of this? [Re: dorkus]
    #4121018 - 05/01/05 09:11 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Happyness is the solution to the problem that is suffering. Life is suffering. There is no point to anything, but happyness will help us along.

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: what do you think of this? [Re: MovingTarget]
    #4121076 - 05/01/05 09:27 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleMovingTarget

Loc: temporary
Re: what do you think of this? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4121080 - 05/01/05 09:28 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:

?

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #4121207 - 05/01/05 10:04 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Understanding could ultimately lead to a better happiness.

They needn't conflict.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Re: what do you think of this? [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4121336 - 05/01/05 10:53 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:
Understanding could ultimately lead to a better happiness.

They needn't conflict.

yay!!!!!!!!  I like that answer, 5 cute little shroomies coming your way. 

I think (heh think) that understanding can lead to happiness and that happiness can lead to understanding.  but hey..I could be wrong :wink:

--------------------

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4121400 - 05/01/05 11:08 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

You could be... I doubt it though :thumbup:

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
-Substance over Style.

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
Re: what do you think of this? [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4122132 - 05/02/05 03:07 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

"not to be attached to the answer, but to keep an open eye out for clues"

That was an amazing statement and should hold true for anybody interested in furthering their knowledge of reality and existance!

:thumbup: Me like!

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4129433 - 05/03/05 08:01 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I recently started reading the book, and came across this interesting entry in the guide:

Quote:

"The Babel fish...is small, yellow and leechlike, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy recieved not from its own carrier but from those around it. It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. It then excreets into the mind of its carrier a telepathic matrix formed by combining the conscious thought frequencies with nerve signals picked up from the speech centers of the brain which has supplied them. The practical upshot of all this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language. The speech patterns you actually hear decode the brainwave matrix which has been fed into your mind by your Babel fish.

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and unclinching proof of the nonexistence of God.

The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for the encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed at the next zebra crossing.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: what do you think of this? [Re: Silversoul]
    #4129838 - 05/03/05 09:06 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for sharing that. It was great. :heart: :mushroom2:

--------------------

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
    #4130380 - 05/03/05 10:33 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

a

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

Edited by matt (08/31/07 05:57 PM)

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Re: what do you think of this? [Re: THE KRAT BARON]
    #4131729 - 05/04/05 08:57 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

As long as you don't believe yours is the only truth, you can't be called ignorant.

Quote:

Paradigm said:I haven't seen the movie yet, but I recently started reading the book

I've read the first of the five books and I've got the audio tapes of the original BBC radio show, which I'll soon convert to mp3.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#4132506 - 05/04/05 12:27 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Kai i think you hit the nail on the head, submissing and stop questioning is the answer to peace and understanding.

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: what do you think of this? [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #4132513 - 05/04/05 12:29 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Perhaps peace.... but not understanding.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck