Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BMX Tricks
slow fruiting
    #4120172 - 05/01/05 08:38 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

K, I really feel like I am doing something wrong here, and I probably am.

Dumped the PF cakes onto a bed of verm, there is great thick mycellium all over, and they arent turning blue from dehydration. Should I have used perlite? someone told me vermiculite would be fine. Do I need to add water to the vermiculite? Right now the bin is about 80 degrees.
I plopped the cakes out 3 days ago, and one jar even had 2 one inch mushrooms growing already. Those mushrooms havent aborted, nor grown any since i took them out. Please help....

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

Loc: close enough to get mysel...
Re: slow fruiting [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #4120260 - 05/01/05 08:49 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

nope, should have dumped them on verm because they dont hold water as well as perlite, and its tough to tell without touching it how moist it is.

i wouldnt add water to the verm.

keep misting. watch the humidity level in the....wait how are you doing this? pics of yoru setup or detasils will help immensely...

--------------------
Under his instruction, I taped drumsticks to his head and turned him into a sort of mummy, or perhaps a caterpiller in a cocoon. He remains this way for about three hours, making bizarre noises, pretending to be a new species that must learn to walk and talk and eat, etc. And he communicates with other life forms by way of the antennae on his head. Eventually we jam a tube from a waterbong into it's mouth and figure he's learned all he needs to know.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
Re: slow fruiting [Re: starseed1066]
    #4120332 - 05/01/05 08:58 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i dont have a digital camera, or a scanner....sorry.

I have a big clear rubbermaid tub with about 12 holes drilled along the edges of the lid and about 1 inch of verm covering the bottom. I have yet to mist them, and i have been thinking i should.

There really isnt anything to the set up, just cakes on a bed of verm, in a big tub with holes in it. I have no way of checking the humidity right now, but it is kind of humid already here.

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

#4120423 - 05/01/05 09:15 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

hrm. i wouldnt have drilled any holes in the tub, it lets out lots of humidity.

and definitely mist! for cakes you want 90-100% RH in the tub. it should be so humid in there that water is on the verge of dripping down the sides of the tub.

--------------------
Under his instruction, I taped drumsticks to his head and turned him into a sort of mummy, or perhaps a caterpiller in a cocoon. He remains this way for about three hours, making bizarre noises, pretending to be a new species that must learn to walk and talk and eat, etc. And he communicates with other life forms by way of the antennae on his head. Eventually we jam a tube from a waterbong into it's mouth and figure he's learned all he needs to know.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
    #4120438 - 05/01/05 09:17 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

K, will do...thank you....but last question...I read somewhere that you dont want to directly mist the cakes themselves...is that true? Luckily I have another lid, since i have 4 of these bins, so i can just slap another one on without holes.

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

#4120564 - 05/01/05 09:41 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

well i've heard a lot of opinions on misting cakes directly: i've heard misting them directly is fine, and that its not. i've heard heard its fine as long as they never get more than a fine mist on them, or no more than will sit around for a few hours.

i've tried it every which way, and have not found that any has disasterous effects, and certainly its been better than too-dry cakes.

mist them from high up, or do it indirectly if you're worried about it. heck i have a cake that got overlayed and too dry that i started dripping a fair amount of water on it's overlayed spots. and now its slurped up the pools up and is catching up to the better cakes.

--------------------

Offlinejamsandwich
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #4120606 - 05/01/05 09:49 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:
i dont have a digital camera, or a scanner....sorry.

were you going to scan your grow opp? heh heh.

Mist those bad boys, replace the lid with one with no holes, and if you can do this without handling the cakes, take them out of the tub, keeping the verm underneath them, use a spatula. Clean out the tub, replace vermiculite with perlite, soak it, then place tin foil where the cakes are going. put verm on top of the tin foil, then place the cake on that. Perlite will keep the humidity up, which is an important part of fruiting. Give them 12 hours of light a day (this is debated, but it worked great for me) and fan them to replace fresh air about 4 times a day. Then expect some fruits.

Hope this helped  :mushroom2:

--------------------
8 years now! lol

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
    #4120610 - 05/01/05 09:50 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

K i searched for a good definition of Overlay...but i think one of my cakes might have it. The myc just looks thin and not fluffy at all. This jar was also the first to cover itself with myc.

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
    #4120617 - 05/01/05 09:51 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

cakes dont get overlay, casings do

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

Re: slow fruiting [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4120630 - 05/01/05 09:53 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

er, sorry, you're right. the last bong hit must be getting to me :bongload:

so what is it called when you've got a thick, gnarly looking patch of mycellium that is not fluffy and that no pins grow on?

--------------------

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#4120637 - 05/01/05 09:54 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

im not sure wut thats called cuz ive neevr dealt with cakes in my life ive always cased even on my first grow, soooo much better

--------------------
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

#4120645 - 05/01/05 09:55 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

yeah, i'm never doing cakes again, i'm still technically fruiting my first batch. i just did a bunch of experimenting in different ways more of less the whole way thru.

i mostly just wanted to do cakes so i would know how if need be :laugh:

--------------------

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#4120658 - 05/01/05 09:57 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

yea im glad to see ure experimenting thats what has brought the shroomery and all of mushroom cultivation this far.

also since ure doing cakes then uve technically graduated the pf tek unlike me, i jsu went straight to casing and spawning to poo

--------------------

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

#4120674 - 05/01/05 10:00 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

*raises beer* i've got a spawn-->poo brewing too :smile: i'll keep my eyes peeled for updates on your progress

--------------------

Offlinejamsandwich
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #4120675 - 05/01/05 10:00 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

word, i did the same thing lord, except i went back and tried cakes now. When you have the big patches of myc growth with no shrooms, you arent giving it proper pinning conditions

Did you cold shock?
Are you fanning?
How about humidity?

--------------------
8 years now! lol

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Re: slow fruiting [Re: jamsandwich]
    #4120686 - 05/01/05 10:02 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i think if there is fluffy fuzzy myc on ure cakes it means that there is too much humidity , correct me if im wrong but i think i heard hippechick say this

--------------------

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

#4120696 - 05/01/05 10:04 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i thought i heard her say that about mycelium on the shrooms themselves :shrug:

--------------------

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#4120792 - 05/01/05 10:19 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

im not sure but wut im talking about is if the cakes look like this without the shrooms on it http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_mmgg.shtml

--------------------

Invisiblefour20snakeman
Background Noise
Male

Loc: /\ /\ Right there /\ /\
    #4120863 - 05/01/05 10:39 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I didn't read all the posts in this thread, but have gathered you are using verm instead of perlite for humidy which = :thumbdown:

sorry but replace that with perlite. dunk your cakes in the fridge before you initiate pinning. after dunking in the fridge, roll in verm. you will notice a shitload of difference.

TEK is called dunk and roll. do a search for it.

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Re: slow fruiting [Re: four20snakeman]
    #4120869 - 05/01/05 10:40 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

four20snakeman said:
I didn't read all the posts in this thread, but have gathered you are using verm instead of perlite for humidy which = :thumbdown:

sorry but replace that with perlite. dunk your cakes in the fridge before you initiate pinning. after dunking in the fridge, roll in verm. you will notice a shitload of difference.

TEK is called dunk and roll. do a search for it.

lol that sums it up after all that off topic discussion :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation