Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineRedHarvest
Stranger
The economic side of the war on drugs
    #411974 - 10/02/01 11:46 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I'm assuming you're all familiar with the concepts of supply and demand.

The government's policy towards drugs has largely been a crackdown on the supply side of the drug market. That is to say, they are deterring dealers through jail time, fines, and other things so as to reduce the amount of drugs on the market. The market for drugs, however, is highly inelastic--that is to say, the percentage change in the price is greater than the percentage change in the quantity demanded (drugs are addictive so people will pay alot for them; the rise in price won't affect the amount of buyers much).

But as I was saying, the government spends its time reducing the amount of drugs on the market. This creates a shortage in the drug market. Whenever a shortage occurs, the buyers are faced with the problem, as prices will rise to achieve equilibrium with the new demand. Thus, the dealers are making more money and the addicts must pay more, thus increasing the amount of drug-related crimes. And since the market is highly inelastic, few addicts are deterred from using drugs simply because the price is too high. This takes money from the victim's hands and puts them in the criminal's hands.

The only way to effectively wage the 'war' on drugs (I love how it has to be a 'war,' as if everything this country does is based on destruction and subjugation) is to attack the demand for them. This can be accomplished through better rehab programs, better education, and alternatives to drug use. I am by no means condemning the use of drugs, but I think we'll all agree that drug *abuse* is a major problem in our society. It hurts to see so many lives wrecked by addiction and drug abuse, including those of my friends. We will never remove drugs from our society, but perhaps we can at least become more responsible with them.

PEACE, J

"My definition of a free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." -- Adlai E. Stevenson

--------------------
"My definition of a free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." -- Adlai E. Stevenson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLenore
enthusiast
Re: The economic side of the war on drugs [Re: RedHarvest]
    #414193 - 10/04/01 09:07 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

education, medical treatment, alternatives?

these are not in the national interest.
prisons, law enforcement (population control), various CIA activities, the political mechanism of the war on drugs.
good luck trying to overcome these interests.

heres a few links anyone interested in drug policy should check out

http://www.drugpolicy.org --- the lindesmith foundation
newsletter@drugsense.org ----- drugsense weekly

OfflineRedHarvest
Stranger
Re: The economic side of the war on drugs [Re: Lenore]
    #414611 - 10/05/01 06:56 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Sad but true, Lenore, but it's my hope that if enough people realize how futile the current policy is, it may change with enough protest. That's just me being idealistic, though--in reality, it won't, but at least here's another reason to hate the government.

Oh yeah, and I'm just learning this week about all the horrible stuff that went down in Panama when I was like 10.. it makes me sick...

--------------------

OfflineElPrimo
journeyman
Re: The economic side of the war on drugs [Re: RedHarvest]
    #417357 - 10/07/01 09:47 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, this Country brags about it's freedoms but it puts a higher percentage of it's citizens behind bars than any other..

Who is foolish enough to believe that if Civil Liberties are eroded so that the Gov can go after terrorists, that they won't use the same powers to go after drug users?

Not I...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order