Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Archetypes found in religion; a Twirling perspective
    #4119295 - 05/01/05 05:49 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

The first place I really heard a connection between the myths in various religions was from an interview of Maynard James Keenan about A Perfect Circle's first album. He described how many of the myths talked about the same exact symbols, and nobody really knows where they came from. I find it sad that after going to church for 14+ years, I was never shown the idea of universal symbols by anyone who influenced my theology.

At any rate, I'm doing a paper on the simularites between the Apacolypses in the Bible & Viking religion. Much of the same themes, locking away the devil/Ragnorak in chains for a long time, to then be unlocked years later in which a mighty battle between good & evil takes place.

Well I got on the origins as well, and today I noticed that one of the Bible's creation myths has extremely similar wording to Norse Mythology. Genesis 2:7, it says "the Lord God formed man out of the clay of the ground and blew into his nostrils the breath of life, and so man became a living being." Compare that to the Norse mythology which states "They (the gods Odin, Vili and Ve) came across two fallen trees with their roots ripped out of the ground; one was an ash, the other an elm. Then the sons of Bor raised them and made from them the first man and woman. Odin breathed into them the spirit of life.... All the families and nations and races are descended from them".

I also did a small section on the "tree of life", which is mentioned in Revelations as producing fruit 12 times a year, once a month (some people believe this is a reference to cannabis, although from the little I know, it might be wishful thinking on their part). Anyway, I noticed the term "tree of life" found in a tale posted by mjshroomer. You can kinda figure out the similarities from there.

So why are these connections ignored so much by religious institions? I have tremendous respect for the intellectual theologions who recognize these connections. Jesuit Catholics visted China and found that Taoism led to the same place Jesus did, and therefore it did not matter whether a person went through Jesus, but as long as they got there. On the other hand, more conservitive Catholics visted China and declared intolerance towards them out of a desire for converstion. We can see how much tolerance, reguardless of religion, leads to better things than intolerance.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
Re: Archetypes found in religion; a Twirling perspective [Re: Twirling]
    #4119319 - 05/01/05 05:55 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

One guy claimed to have been told by old buirded people while being in clynical death that a battle is going on right now in the spiritual realm and that after that battle there will come 1000 years when souls from lower realms won't be alowed to reincarnate to earth, so that things would become better here, and that by the time when they get alowed to come to earth, kingdom of heaven (or something like that) would already be established on earth so they won't have the power then like they do now.

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

Edited by OldWoodSpecter (05/01/05 05:56 PM)

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Archetypes found in religion; a Twirling perspective [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4119339 - 05/01/05 06:02 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I'm assuming you're referring to "John", the author of Revelations?

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4119366 - 05/01/05 06:09 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Nope, I'm really talking about an NDE case, could be a religious nut though, I'm just saying what the man said

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#4119376 - 05/01/05 06:13 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Its very similar, if not exact, to what the author of Revelations described. Rather interesting. Wonder if its suggestive memory, or if there is some kind of inate experience in human existance which creates such a vision, for what ever reason.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology