Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestevenkoozer

Re: What do you guys use for humidity for caseings? *DELETED* [Re: cubicidal]
    #4117162 - 05/01/05 12:19 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by stevenkoozer

Reason for deletion: Old content

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecubicidal
Stranger
Re: What do you guys use for humidity for caseings? [Re: stevenkoozer]
    #4117171 - 05/01/05 12:21 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

A) With this, the answer's actually yes... the perlite helps to keep humidity up, and there's a slight gap where the tubs are set on each other and don't perfectly line up, allowing some air circulation to occur. Still try to fan at least 4 times a day though if at all possible. It won't necessarily be a complete failure if you don't, but you could encounter problems (slow growth and the like).

B) Do you mean substrate preparation? Bringing into being the mycellium from which the mushrooms grow?

Edited by cubicidal (05/01/05 12:22 AM)

Offlinestevenkoozer

#4117181 - 05/01/05 12:24 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Offlinecubicidal
Stranger
    #4117216 - 05/01/05 12:47 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I'm working on switching over to using WBS substrate, but what I've done in the past has been...

I take 3 cups of brown rice and 4.5 cups water, and simmer it until cooked, stirring frequently to ensure that none of the grains become too dry or wet. I load the rice into three empty wide-mouthed quart jars (fits almost perfect) carefully, using a fork to break it up/spread around evenly as I dump it in; too much clumping with our sticky friend rice will result in serious colonization problems later on (don't worry excessively though, some small amounts of clumping is inevitable).

The lids to the quart jars have had a hole about .25in wide pounded through with a nail, and a small ball of polyfill (material that makes pillows puffy) is pulled through the hole - this is to create a lid that allows *filtered* air circulation. The lids are screwed on, and the jars loaded into an 8qt pressure cooker ($30 at Wally World) with the tray at the bottom removed (don't worry, the jars won't crack).

Pour in enough water to have the pressure cooker to have the water line about 1/3 of the way up the side after the jars have been added (which will obviously move the water line up considerably). Place on a stove on high and wait for the regulator (rocky hissy thingy) to begin rocking around and hissing from release of steam. Turn down the heat to more of a low/medium level and keep the regulator rocking for a good 30 minutes. Let the whole unit cool down overnight.

I then, in a sterile environment (flowhood), squirt .5mL of liquid culture mycellium down the glass of the jar, once in each corner. The lid is screwed back on and the jar placed someplace dark and warm for a week.

After 2 days I see serious growth. After a week, the outside of the jar is overrun with mycellium. At this point, I open the jar back up (in the flowhood! if you don't have one, this step should be skipped, and patience for longer colonization times must be had) and use a sterile fork to break it all up and mix well. Three more days in a warm place and it's fully colonized.

Any questions (I foresee ones about liquid culture and flowhoods), don't hesitate to ask. :smile:

Offlinestevenkoozer

#4117234 - 05/01/05 01:01 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Offlinecubicidal
Stranger
    #4117251 - 05/01/05 01:07 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Definitely should look into liquid culture work. Check around the archives for "Karo teks" and the like. You could multiply that one syringe into dozens. I'd give more details myself but I'm about to pass out.

If you do only do a few jars, I wouldn't bother with any elaborate incubation setups. Just wrap them up in an old black t-shirt (to block light that might trigger premature pinning) and leave someplace warm (target temperature range is around 80-85F, so warm does not equal hot).

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What do you guys use for humidity for caseings? [Re: Abermelin]
    #4118116 - 05/01/05 08:52 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Abermelin said:
if your container is proportionate to the size of your casing, you shouldnt ever need to mist. Usually the moisture the casing gets after a dunk is enough to last it through its flush and into the next dunk. how fast your casing dries out also depends on how tight your lid is on your chamber, and how low the humidity is in your room.

Wrong and

Quote:

Abermelin said:
2nd, i want to clarify that im speaking of small setups, im sure its much different if your doing a 55gal fruiting chamber.

Wrong.

Bulk substrate will produce heat allowing for better evaporation. Small casings wont do that. Also a small casing dosent take up the whole bottom of the container in which your fruiting in. A 55 Gallon will have a casing layer across the entire thing and CAN hold its own, without misting...for the first flush. A small casing needs misting and after the first flush misting is needed.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,741 topic views. 16 members, 114 guests and 31 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 14 queries.