Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblefearfect
living on the land
    #4116224 - 04/30/05 09:55 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

suppose a few (4) people were to pack their bikes and around 30-40 pounds of gear each. each starting with 3-5000$. the plan would be to go around north america and spend as little as possible.

What would you do/bring to be as self sufficient as possible?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: living on the land [Re: fearfect]
    #4116229 - 04/30/05 09:56 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I doubt in the US.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4116256 - 04/30/05 10:02 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Where are you going? It's going to be different if you're going to Florida or Oregon or Maine.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleWoodsCall
own it
 User Gallery

Loc: eye of the beerholder
    #4116268 - 04/30/05 10:04 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenace.

Pick me up on the way to wherever.

Where do you plan on going and for how long will you be riding??

--------------------
Live free or die.

Offlineemptywisdom
simple being oflight
 User Gallery

Loc: Lemuria
    #4116287 - 04/30/05 10:09 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

a notepad, a pen, a blanket, a tent or tarp, if you go with the tarp you will need a  small amount of rope, otherwise it is unnecessary weight, mabey some pot, papers-not a pipe, lighter and or waterproof matches, knife, rain poncho, can opener so you don't fuck up your knife, or just scratch the knife and can opener and get a leatherman. I might be leaving something important out but I think that does it. anything other than that is luxurey and not necessity, It's up to you how much weight you want to carry and how much shit you want to have to look after, I sugest a good book and at least one random, miscelanious object, such as a marble or a green plastic ninja, you get the idea, to bring as well. Remember these wise words of experience, on any backpacking trip LESS IS MORE! :wink:

Now feal free to disregard what I just typed and load a heavy ass pack full of crap you don't need, I mean really, can you truley go anywhere without a 12 peice creamic tea set or your entire collection of archie comics? I think not. :smirk:

Oh, I almost forgot, flashlights are handy :thumbup:

and if you truley want to spen as little as possible, make your peace with dumpster diveing as soon as possible, expenses are few. Pack as little as possible, and If there is a glaring need you did not bring with you, pick it up on the way. It's way better than getting rid of stuff you don't really need just because you are sick of hauling it around.

and bring gallon sized ziplock baggs for anything you don't want to get wet or dirty.

--------------------

Edited by emptywisdom (04/30/05 10:13 PM)

Invisiblefearfect
Re: living on the land [Re: WoodsCall]
    #4116289 - 04/30/05 10:10 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

not motorcycles, bicycles. we have some pretty good bikes. the first goal is yellowstone. we will be starting next summer from texas. how long? Depends how it goes. Anywhere from 2 months to a year or more depending on how everything works out and how resourceful we are.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: living on the land [Re: emptywisdom]
    #4116315 - 04/30/05 10:16 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Why papers, not a pipe? Papers can get soaked and become useless, they can run out, they can burn, anything really can ruin your stash of papers and then you're fucked. But a wooden or metal smoking pipe? If you drop it in a river, it'll dry off. It never runs out. Good wood ones don't burn very well, not at all like papers, and metals don't burn at all, and if you drop them they're usually completely unscathed.

Glass pipes and papers seem the worst things bring to out in the wild for smoking, a metal or wooden smoking pipe would be much more resilient to the elements. Possibly an acrylic one would work also.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Offlineemptywisdom
simple being oflight
 User Gallery

Re: living on the land [Re: Ravus]
    #4116330 - 04/30/05 10:19 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

you keep the papers in a ziplock baggy and they stay dry, very simple, pipes can cause you all kinds of shit with a cop. You can eat your pot, good luck eating your pipe. It's safe and one less thing to worry about. papers are cheap, and if you really need some and you are out constructing a makeshift pipe out of whatever is around is never too hard to do. When I've backpaked in the past I was not always doing everything sweet and legal, there was a lot of tresspassing involved as well as sleeping where i was not supposed to, and hitchikeing, now thumbing it will not be an issue in this case aparently, and mabey he would'nt mind the extra risk that comes with carying a pipe, i dunno. It's all up to him what he brings, these are just my suggestions. The only thing that makes pipes better than papers in my experience is the damn wind, sometimes you cant keep the joint lit, or it's so windy your pot blows away, this is not an issue if you have a tent, or a big shirt you can huddle up in, but it's annoying sometimes. You can make a pipe out of all kinds of things and toss it, and this is a better idea then carying around a metal or wood pipe.  :wink:

btw, this is a great idea.

oh, and acrylic would be more fragile than tempered glass, but both are a bummer waiting to happen.

Edited by emptywisdom (04/30/05 10:28 PM)

OfflineGr8fulJ420
strange but nota stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 0 moco
    #4116344 - 04/30/05 10:22 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Spare innertubes + spare tires +pump + tools for your bikes. Hopefully one or more of your riders are handy with bike maintenance. will you be pulling small trailers or using panniers for your gear? A lightweight backpacking stove (MSR Whisperlite) and a cooking kit. Don't forget water. You'll need lots of water... or plan on riding thru enough towns that you can stop and refill frequently. First aid supplies and knowing how to use them!
Do you all have bikes that are up to that challenge? Having quality gear can mean the difference between an excellent trip and getting fucked over miles from home, in the middle of some backwards western town.

Practice going on 100+ mile rides over the weekends. Try self-sufficiency on a small scare before going for broke across the country. Are any of your group experienced on long multi-day bike rides? Are all of your crew at the same riding level or is one gonna burn the others by riding all out all day?

There are many things to think about on an undertaking like this. If you're prepared, it will be a lifechanging experience.

InvisibleWoodsCall
own it
 User Gallery

Loc: eye of the beerholder
    #4116378 - 04/30/05 10:29 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

That's awesome man!! I'm going on a week long 350-mile bike trip in june...i hope to learn a lot of sustainability ideas from it. I would suggest doing trips like that to build stamina and also to get a good feel for being on the road for more than just a couple hours.

--------------------
Live free or die.

Offlineemptywisdom
simple being oflight
 User Gallery

Re: living on the land [Re: Gr8fulJ420]
    #4116386 - 04/30/05 10:31 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

the bike stuff is a good point I had not thought about. Flat tires with no fix in the middle of nowhere would be a real pain in the ass. and a basic first aid kit is very important, too.

--------------------

Invisiblephalloidin

#4116388 - 04/30/05 10:31 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

get hostel membership and a guide to all the hostels in the US

Invisiblefearfect
Re: living on the land [Re: Gr8fulJ420]
    #4116608 - 04/30/05 11:30 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

we've been planning it out for a while. And we still have a year before everyone is ready. We have been reading tons of survival guides and starting this summer will be cycle training daily, alternating heavy (mountains) and lower tension for streets, hours at a time. Possibly cruising 8-15 miles per hour depending on the climate and situation. We will have sleeping bags rated well under 32 degrees and tent to sleep in. I imagine the body heat of 4 people in a small tent should keep us warm in the winter nights in seattle/washington, but I'd like some info on this. How cold does it really get up there, what should we plan for?

I am not worried about how I am going to smoke pot. I probably won't bring any. If I do, just a small amount.

for the bike ride, i plan on either having some water tank in the middle of the bike strapped on, or like you said, planning it to pass through towns to refill frequently. We may also purchase a water purifier.

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #4117088 - 05/01/05 01:56 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

water filter, lighters, small camp stove and gas canister, small tent, small sleepign bag, either get your food from teh wild or pick up cheap stuff wherever.

ive gone on huge trips for virtually no money. ive also spent thousands going only a few hundred kilometers. its all about what your willing to do, or not do.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4118443 - 05/01/05 01:25 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Maybe you can film it and sell it as the newest reality TV show.

--------------------

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Wexico
Re: living on the land [Re: WoodsCall]
    #4118460 - 05/01/05 01:30 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenace.

That sounds like it should be the title of somethin

--------------------

Offlinemoosehead
poop deck
 User Gallery

Loc: pnw
    #4118496 - 05/01/05 01:46 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

You really should take a bike maintinance class or something at a community college or bike shop this summer.

Like some one said earlier, even if youre training already, be sure to do plenty of 100 mile+ rides. Try to 500-600 miles in a week at some point, just to give you an idea of what kind of shape your going to need to be in.

I ride my bike to school every day, and ive done 100+ miles in a day. Its not that bad, with a school backpack. But with all your gear, thats going to be a serious bitch.

Get every thing that you absolutly need, and cut it in half. Be light, bring next to nothing. I would splurge on some lightweight toys if I were you. Tent, butane burner and sleeping bag are all things that could make a big difference depending on you dish out.

also, and these are not necisarry but i def suggest them.

Camelbak of some sort, which just makes the ride a hell of a lot easier. Music, which, ads weight, but shit, its music.

also, bike shorts are a must. Any long ride with out will leave your sack ravaged.

Offlineemptywisdom
simple being oflight
 User Gallery

Re: living on the land [Re: moosehead]
    #4119667 - 05/01/05 07:10 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

It rarely gets colder than 25-30 in seattle at the depths of winter. It's cold, but not too bad. I might snow a couple times a year, but most likely no more than that, it does not get cold enough for long enough, at the worst points it usually hovers around the freezing point, without dropping much lower, but when you start going east from there and get into the mountains it's a motherfucker, be prepared if you are going that route in the winter, it's cold as fuck. If you are hitting the seattle area make sure to spend a good amount of time on the olympic pininsula, it's may favorite place in the whole world, Good luck!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub