Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Cryogenics and coming back to life in the distant future.
    #4115728 - 04/30/05 08:00 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

My daughter was playing this game with her dolls and we got to talking about it.

Say science figures out how to safely unthaw the people who have had themselves frozen at a time where then can also fix what lead to their death to bring them back to life.

Do you guys think it will be possible in the future?

I know insects and various creatures can do it, one insect can freeze itself for up to 100 years and dethaw and get back to living. Anyone see that on extreme insects?

For those of you who believe in a soul or spirit, if we figure this out, how do you think that would work with the soul/spirit coming back?

I mean, would the soul get sucked back and how if it was maybe in another incarnation by then? Would the soul have to allow its body to even be brought back to life for it to work? Could another soul looking for a body jump in instead?

I don't know if it will ever be possible with humans, though science is working on it. I was just wondering how the soul/spirit thing would work out if a body in the cryogenic state was revived 300 years later. Weird thoughts.

If you had the money or opportunity, would any of you do it in the hopes of being revived and fixed up in the future?

Here's a link on the insects if anyone finds this cool;

http://search.aimhome.netscape.com/aim/b...ryobiology.html

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
Re: Cryogenics and coming back to life in the distant future. [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4115747 - 04/30/05 08:04 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I always wondered about that..

if there is soul and spirit, there is a possibility that no corpse can be revived unless the spirit decides to go back to it,
or maybe the spirit would stay in the corpse in the state of sleep (as being under narcosis) untill the body recoveres.
The spirit "traffic control" would know if the body is going to be recovered one day or not since in the other realm time is not linear..

And from the perspective of science, in case Jesus stories were true, there must be a way to reanimate the body hours after death.

I'm just making things up, wondering and stuff...

edit:

on the other hand, if there is no spirit, things are pretty simple and clear, you just continue where you left of, the 100 years would be like a blink of an eye

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

Edited by OldWoodSpecter (04/30/05 08:07 PM)

InvisibleeMotionALLmotion
DivineeMotive....

Loc: The Symphony of Lights......
Re: Cryogenics and coming back to life in the distant future. [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4115800 - 04/30/05 08:22 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I have heard of spiders and frogs that can do this....    And like most everyone else, I have also wondered about the soul and spirit coming back to the body....  I guess in a Spirit sense, the time of the frozen physical body would be a blink.... 
The question is, would they ever be able to bring the physical body back to life....?  But then, what is not possible....?    :heart:

--------------------
Uni-VersALL      MasterPeace
eMotive  :sun: Divinity NowThere Infinity :sun:  eMelody

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#4116280 - 04/30/05 10:08 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys. Interesting to know you wondered about it to and came up with the same stuff.

So would you go under the freeze?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #4116306 - 04/30/05 10:14 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I agree with Old Wood Spectre. Don't they say that our higher selves exist outside of time, like they say that about god. If so then I think the soul would know if it could abandon that vessell and go off and reincarnate or if it would have to just lay dormant for the body to come back and complete its life later. It's very unnatural. I don't believe I would want that for myself. In a world of limited resources with all the energy and money that's required to keep these scared old people frozen for centuries, it's sort of selfish too.

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4116376 - 04/30/05 10:29 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
So would you go under the freeze?

I think I would In case I were treated like Frank Poole from 3001, you know free of existential issues being a museum specimen.

I'd like to see the future, about 400-500 years from now, it would be like watching a SF movie, probably cities that I could never imagine, travel to mars by "plane" etc.

But on the other hand, If there really is a soul, I'd be limiting myself, being immortal I could experience any time and age I wish and see any world in the universe when I wish.

But then again, even after defreezing I'd have to die again so I wouldn't miss the afterlife if there was one anyway.

So then, yes I'd go into a freeze

--------------------

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Cryogenics and coming back to life in the distant future. [Re: question_for_joo]
    #4116385 - 04/30/05 10:30 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, its a common argument that people should donate that dough to a charity instead and rot like the rest of us. I did a google search to see the expense of it and couldn't find figures but I found this article. 67 people this year in Arizona had just their heads frozen (gross) with the idea that a new body could be grown as they believe the brain stores your identity so its all that needs to be saved.

I wonder if they have thought through reattaching a head to a new body? This is developing into Frankenstein stuff now.:lol:

http://search.aimhome.netscape.com/aim/b...8_cryonics.html

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4116406 - 04/30/05 10:35 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Then later science discovers the personality is stored in the ass, and all the heads end up on e-bay

--------------------

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Cryogenics and coming back to life in the distant future. [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4116437 - 04/30/05 10:41 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

OldWoodSpecter said:
Then later science discovers the personality is stored in the ass, and all the heads end up on e-bay

:rotfl:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4116466 - 04/30/05 10:48 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Can you imagine that?
Condition: mint, fresh out of the freezer, shaven, comes with a hat
ships to US only

--------------------

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Cryogenics and coming back to life in the distant future. [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4116472 - 04/30/05 10:49 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Would you take the discount rate with just your head or the more expensive full body rate? :lol:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4116484 - 04/30/05 10:53 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Full body, it would be hilarious if they woke me up and said that it was a stupid idea to freeze just the head, and that I'd have to walk around in a jar on a wheelchair

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4116494 - 04/30/05 10:58 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

In no distant future are they going to want to bring back people who have no useful skills, and are so far behind the curve as to need total reeducation. In a possibly overcrowded future this would be unthinkable. If it is possible a few might be revived for history's sake, but the majority of all those painstakingly preserved bodies will be trashed after the maintenance funds run out.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Re: Cryogenics and coming back to life in the distant future. [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4116509 - 04/30/05 11:02 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I don't agree, If we had a chance to bring back someone from 19th century now, he would be showered with attention of historians, scientists etc.

People would just die to meet someone from the past, and you can count on one more thing: they would love to show you how better they are now then how you were back then, simple showing off

--------------------

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#4116537 - 04/30/05 11:10 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

OldWoodSpecter said:
Full body, it would be hilarious if they woke me up and said that it was a stupid idea to freeze just the head, and that I'd have to walk around in a jar on a wheelchair

What an image :lol:

I wonder how difficult or shocking it would be to wake up in the world 500 years from now and acclimate to all of the changes. It may be experienced like a wild drug trip that doesn't end wihout the means for getting a grip. hmmmmmmmmmm

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Cryogenics and coming back to life in the distant future. [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4116546 - 04/30/05 11:14 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Wood makes an interesting point hue,

Can you see the value of having a first hand account of the past?

Then again hue has a point, how many do you need or world be interesting until it became boring for the advanced race.

Who from now would even be interesting from a historical perspective for them to have around and pick their brain?

Maybe Bill Gates? I bet he's already signed up for the full body program.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4116614 - 04/30/05 11:32 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Most of the cryogenically preserved bodies from the 70s have already been disposed of...not even in graves. They were disposed of as biological waste as soon as the money in the account for maintenance ran out. I read a book on this a few years back. In one case I read of, a company was cited by the law enforcement and the EPA for dismembering bodies and leaving them in dumpsters that were only for general waste. In nearly all cases the next of kin were not notified...or required to be.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#4116656 - 04/30/05 11:44 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Wow,

So these people from the 70s appearantly had about 30 year contracts and actually thought we would have it figured out by now huh?

That was some positive wishful thinking

I'm projecting up to 500 years from now maybe will have it figured out and they thought in just 30 years back in the 70s. Maybe thats all they could afford.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleDark_Star
jizzing skull penis
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Kratmandu
    #4116685 - 04/30/05 11:51 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Some types of microbes and moss have been frozen for thousands/millions of years (I forget which, probably both though.) then come back to life when they thaw out.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4116803 - 05/01/05 12:24 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

No they had 100 year or more contracts...the money just somehow ran out...no mystery there as most of these cryogenics firms are fly-by-night. I have no doubt it will be possible in 500 years...hell maybe 50 years, but the motivation to do it will be lacking if any bodies stay out of the dumpster that long. In 500 years I have no doubt that mankind will have acheived immortality (based on current scientific predictions) through technology so unless outer space is quickly started colonizing, space will be limited.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology