Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCrazymfker
Stranger
First Attempt
    #4114458 - 04/30/05 01:41 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i have been reading this site for some time now and finally took the first steps towards a color full summer ;-} ,

i have inoculated some jars using the pf tek method and it seems to be working but i have noticed many differences between the jars , not sure which one is in the best condition ,

i have some which have some moisture in the jars and the mycelium seems to look hard , and others which don't have moisture and the mycelium is all fuzzy looking , i am assuming that the cakes with the moisture in them had 2 much moisture in the jars ,they also shrunk , i am wondering if the cake is dead or if it will still pin for birthing ,

i just exposed them to light , there are some which are only 90% colonized but i put them in light now also , hoping this wouldn't be a problem , wondering how many days it will take before i start seeing my first signs of pinning .

i also played with a casing method for my first time , i did get over excited but reading to much info to fast and confusing methods lol , i am hoping it will still work ,

wondering if you think this method will work , i placed about 1/2 of moist sterile verm on the bottom of a pan then my mycelium culture about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of bird seed on top ,then covered that with about 1/2 inch of verm ,

i have been doing so much reading lately that i am almost sick of reading threw posts to find the answers to my simple questions .

i am sure my post won't be help full to anyone but i figure that some of the more experienced growers may get a chuckle out of it ,

just wanted to make a post and thank all of you for creating and maintaining such a useful site for u new bee's

thx for your time

Crazymfker

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineongoman
Experimenter
Loc: On the mighty Mississippi
Re: First Attempt [Re: Crazymfker]
    #4114920 - 04/30/05 04:23 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

be very careful with contams on the cakes that werent fully colonized, also i hope that the birdseed you used was pressure cooked and colonized in jars

--------------------
When you change the way you see things, the things you see change.

OfflineCrazymfker
Stranger
Re: First Attempt [Re: ongoman]
    #4115300 - 04/30/05 06:03 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

yes i did sterilize the bird seed by boiling it ,

i was thinking that the cakes would continue to colonize the cake even tho it is exposed to light , they are mostly done , just some spots near the top's of the jar

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: First Attempt [Re: Crazymfker]
    #4115323 - 04/30/05 06:14 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

You combined uncolonized cakes with uncolonized birdseed and cased it? Sorry, but it sounds like you are on the fast track to contam city. Good luck.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Loc: Parts Unknown
Re: First Attempt [Re: dog]
    #4115593 - 04/30/05 07:33 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Your cakes should take 10-14 days to fruit roughly. As far as birthing them early, they do have a better chance at contaming. However, I do it quite often so I can birth multiple jars at once. You will probably be ok. The cakes take a few days to transition from incubating to fruiting, so you will get a bit more colonized, and the major influx of fresh air helps a lot. As far as your casing, if the wbs was colonized, or the cakes were colonized, it might work. Boiling is not sufficient for sterilizing wbs in my opinion. There are plenty of teks for working with wbs, and almost all include pressure cooking. Keep trying, and you should have some goodies for summer before too long.

--------------------
If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?

OfflineCrazymfker
Stranger
Re: First Attempt [Re: Underhillmaster]
    #4118096 - 05/01/05 10:45 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i did use a fully colinized cake with the birdseed , it was my first cake that fully colinized , i kept one cake seprate from the others so i would have a idea on how far along the others where comming , i gave the other caked an extra 4 days to colonize before i exposed them to light , there are only spots near the top of the jar that didn't colinize , i assumed it was because of less nutrients on the top of the cake to colonize , a small spot here and there on the sides , i am exposing them to 12/12 so i figured they would continue to colinize as i wait for pinning , some of hem have already covwered the spots , i just wanted to start them all at the same time just as u assumed.

as far as my casing i do belive that it is failing and i think i know the reasons why , it has been 4 days in the dark and i peeked under the first layer to find no more growth , i assume that there are 2 mail factors which are causing it to fail ,

first reason is that i belive my going in sperate layers it caused a lack of room for it to colonize , ( thinking i should of used a 50/50 mixture instaed of seprate layers ,

i also think that by boiling the seed i let to much moisture into the bird seed ,

i don't have a pressure cooker so i am trying to go at this flinstone style lol ,

i have 2 3 cakes that r going much slower then the others , i am going to attempt the bird seed method again this time i will find another way to serilize them with adding less water ,

i am also going to try another casing method ,

the cake method seems very easy , i have watched a friend do it foe some time a few years back so i have a basic understanding of the whole process , i just never tried it on my own ,

i figure that there will be many attempts of casing before i get it down pat , i will post my experments here on the site , maybe some can learn from my mistakes , or just be amused by my failing attempts lol

" One never fails , as long as u learn something "

" There is a fine line between Genuis and Insanity ,

I HAVE ERASED THIS LINE " ;-}

thx for your help and time

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation