Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
the middle of the road....
    #4113341 - 04/30/05 12:17 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I am a moderate. I believe in moderation as the ultimate tool for sensibility and good judgment. I often make a post with a particular view point that is embraced by extremists from one side of the spectrum or the other. These people often do not see that I am expressing only one view that I hold on that subject. I initially will be hailed as enlightened, but then I usually make a statement to moderate my previous post and put it in perspective. At this time I am usually denounced, belittled, or outright called names buy extremists on both sides of the issue who think I belong to the opposite camp. I am left dodging cars...and a few trucks...in the middle of the road. The showing respect to children thread is a good example. I first say that we should respect children and I take hits from those who promote spanking. Then I reveal that I do believe spanking has a limited place in child rearing at which point I am denounced by the extremists who originally applauded my view on respect.Before it is over I have been insulted by both extremes. My point here is that there is no wisdom in extremism. Moderation is the key to discipline. Making flat out, no exception, generalizations on almost (I did say ALMOST) any matter is flawed reasoning.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: the middle of the road.... [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4113487 - 04/30/05 12:57 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

True. And to know the middle, it's necessary to know both extremes, to know where to draw the middle line. Sometimes is it necessary to push boundaries in order to discover the true limits, the true extremes?

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: the middle of the road.... [Re: the_phoenix]
    #4113606 - 04/30/05 01:26 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I have been an extremist on issues in my past, but I realized that being practical is far more important. Extremist ideas just are not pragmatic or truly useful in most cases.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Invisibledorkus
Re: the middle of the road.... *DELETED* [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4113869 - 04/30/05 06:51 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by dorkus

Reason for deletion: .

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Loc: The Womb of Love
Re: the middle of the road.... [Re: dorkus]
    #4113891 - 04/30/05 07:02 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I personally consider spanking of any kind an 'extreme' action which naturally comes from an 'extreme' view. I aslo consider sports hunting an 'extreme' action that comes from an 'extreme' view. Whether something is 'extreme' or not is totally subjective to the individual. Maybe Adolf Hitler did'nt consider his view to be 'extreme' in the least. :rolleyes:

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

Invisibledorkus
Re: the middle of the road.... *DELETED* [Re: egghead1]
    #4113900 - 04/30/05 07:09 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by dorkus

Invisibledorkus
Re: the middle of the road.... is relative !?! *DELETED* [Re: dorkus]
    #4113904 - 04/30/05 07:13 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by dorkus

Edited by dr_mandelbrot (04/30/05 07:14 AM)

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: the middle of the road.... is relative !?! [Re: dorkus]
    #4113944 - 04/30/05 07:42 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

dr_mandelbrot said:
I think we need to acknowledge that even the middle way of buddhism is an extreme way by todays extreme standards (western). our standards would be considered extreme from a buddhist country's standards. when the world has become extreme in its normality, extreme action, or way of life, is needed (though in objective reality it is not extreme).

This is a very interesting point. So, then, in a world where two extreme modes of thinking have developed (western standards versus eastern standards) would the middle way as taught by buddhism not become a balance of eastern and western standards? :smile:

I only mention this because anyone who practices spirituality with eastern standards in a western civilization is actually obligated to do this in order to maintain their own balance in life.

OfflineHD590
Disengage

Loc: Australia
    #4113965 - 04/30/05 07:58 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

the right way is the way of the majority, and since everyone is fractioned off in every stance (religion,nationality,age), there will always be conflict of opinion.

oohh yeah, my point was i find it easier to come to an agreement with someone when they arn't conditioned by a majority.

Edited by HD590 (04/30/05 08:07 AM)

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: the middle of the road.... [Re: egghead1]
    #4116475 - 04/30/05 08:50 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I am glad you posted this. This is a great example of extremism. You offer broad generalizations that are poorly thought out in that you see only absolutes. You demonstrate that your ideas should apply to all without exception and that you possess the ultimate moral authority. This "guru" attitude is the personification of extremism and intolerance.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4116481 - 04/30/05 08:52 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I am not discussing Buddhism, spanking, or hunting. I am discussing extremism in all of it's forms. The middle way I refer to is plain and simple moderation.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4116565 - 04/30/05 09:18 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
I am glad you posted this. This is a great example of extremism. You offer broad generalizations that are poorly thought out in that you see only absolutes. You demonstrate that your ideas should apply to all without exception and that you possess the ultimate moral authority. This "guru" attitude is the personification of extremism and intolerance.

When I look to nature as guide, she mostly leads by example. Yet in times of need to secure survival I have seen a mother bear swat her cubs. I agree with you Huehuecyotl, the art of moderation is rare in most humans, even those who see themselves walking the middle path. :thumbup: :heart:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #4116710 - 04/30/05 09:57 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Why drive when you can fly? :confused:

You're always in the middle when you're in the air.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: the middle of the road.... [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4116754 - 04/30/05 10:10 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Depends on what your flying...and what you consider the middle.

--------------------

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4116783 - 04/30/05 10:18 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

:thumbup: :yesnod:

Sorry, had to take it a little off topic.

I agree with your post though, espoused absolution (re: extremism) doesn't get anyone anywhere.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
-Substance over Style.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: the middle of the road.... [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4116817 - 04/30/05 10:27 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I like your definition (espoused absolution) it really captures the spirit of it.

--------------------

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4116823 - 04/30/05 10:29 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

:smile: glad you like it, it's how I see it... then again I live in a fantasy world where fake plastic palm trees are as real as those lining the streets of LA.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

OfflineHD590
Disengage

Loc: Australia
    #4117745 - 05/01/05 04:25 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:

Are you replying to me?
My point about the majority always being right is that... e.g. if a nazi germany persisted and it's outlook influenced the majority over the world, whos is left to say genocide is wrong... the majority breeds safety in ignorance.. thus it's easier to come to an agreement with someone when they know there own concepts inside out, because they can better facilitate moderation.

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: the middle of the road.... [Re: HD590]
    #4117766 - 05/01/05 04:36 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

HD590 said:
My point about the majority always being right is that... e.g. if a nazi germany persisted and it's outlook influenced the majority over the world, whos is left to say genocide is wrong... the majority breeds safety in ignorance.. thus it's easier to come to an agreement with someone when they know there own concepts inside out, because they can better facilitate moderation.

Just a thought... perhaps those that are subject to the genocide?

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

InvisibleeMotionALLmotion
DivineeMotive....

Loc: The Symphony of Lights......
Re: the middle of the road.... [Re: HD590]
    #4117785 - 05/01/05 04:44 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

HD590 said:
if a nazi germany persisted and it's outlook influenced the majority over the world, whos is left to say genocide is wrong... the majority breeds safety in ignorance..

It only takes one to take reasonable human rights away from others - such as genocide....
Likewise, it only takes one to stand up for those reasonable human rights and fight death to the end....    :heart:
Living, the only thing worth dying for....    :wink:

:sun:

--------------------
Uni-VersALL      MasterPeace
eMotive  :sun: Divinity NowThere Infinity :sun:  eMelody

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom