Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemushmush2
Stranger
Seeking Experienced help PLEASE
    #4113086 - 04/29/05 11:23 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I am new to growing and plan on starting my first batch her pretty soon, please help answer some questions...

1) after i have incubated the cakes and they are ready to be transferd for fruiting is it ok if i cut the cakes in half or in thirds for more surface area? an then space them out... or is this unnneccisary?

2) I am growing B+ cubensis, an the coverd aquarium will be put outside for fruiting... do this type have to be at 70-80 at all times? are temps of around 50 at night an like 70 in day sufficent??

please comment i will appricite it

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekratomboy
Drifter
 User Gallery

Loc: Nevada
Re: Seeking Experienced help PLEASE [Re: mushmush2]
    #4113113 - 04/29/05 11:30 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

What was told to me: If you're a newby stick straight to the tek until you get the hang of things. If you're going to break your cakes apart, you might as well do casings. I vote leave 'em whole. I'm still a newby, but I'm glad I followed the PF tek religiously because it worked! Now that I know the basics, I'm playing with casings and experimenting a little.

As far as temps... with the first cakes I dreamt about the temps fluctuated between 60F-80F during fruiting and they still grew, although perhaps slower than what I'm dreaming now. You will probably want to get a heating blanket or something for incubation though anyway as I imagine incubation would take forever in those low of temps.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #4113123 - 04/29/05 11:31 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

1. if you leave the cakes whole you will have larger fruits, casing will improve
yeilds and size, then you even get to mangle it to vent that frustration from work

2. putting it outside in a 'green house' is a sure way to develop problems, you
want to keep the fruiting temps in the low 70's all the time.

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
Re: Seeking Experienced help PLEASE [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4113243 - 04/29/05 11:58 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

People tell the noobies to stay away from casings but I did some casings for fun on my first grow and they made me wish that I had cased all of my cakes. I just crumbled them and cased in straight vermiculite and then incubated for two days before sending them to the fruiting chamber. My casings only contained two half pint cakes each but they produced double the amount of mushies that any two of my cakes did. They seem to be holding up better for future flushes also. No need to dunk, just give them a healthy spray and you're good to go. My advice is to do a couple cakes and crumble and case a few of them so you can get some casing experience under your belt.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

Offlinepsychedelic_sam
Life is shortenjoy

Loc: Hell in a bucket
Re: Seeking Experienced help PLEASE [Re: PowerTrip]
    #4113319 - 04/30/05 12:12 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

case, its easier then you think. I have with straight verm worked fine

--------------------

Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile...;)

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

#4113446 - 04/30/05 12:46 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

You have chosen a good strain to start with. The B strain is very forgiving, and it is tolerant of high as well as low temps. Putting the cakes outside in those temps will work for the B . It will be a nice cold shock to say, "hey time to fruit".

Now the benefit of the cakes is they will be fully colonized and very contaminant resistant-- so they may fight off outside germs alot better than your casings would. See outside the air transfer to the aquarium will bring in spores  of all kinds with it. Even if you keep the lid air tight, to avoid this, you are going to have to vent it sometime to give your fruit fresh air, or you run the chance of getting stunted growth from co2 buildup.

This being your first time, go with the cakes as is outside. Put a 2inch thick layer of  wet (h2o2)perlite on the bottom of the aquarium. next place a clean plate ontop of the perlite. Put your cakes on the plate. REMEMBER when using cakes keep the right side up. What that means is when you take the cake out of the jar, make sure the cake is in the same direction as it was in the jar. In case you have microscopic primordia already, they wont abort due to being put upside down and crushed on the plate.

Now go to a store and buy a hepa replacement filter. In the lid of your aquarium cut a hole big enough to fit the hepa filter. Affix the hepa filter onto the lid with ductape neatly. There should be no other holes in the lid. Now place the lid on the aquarium and put it out side. You will still need to check the moisture . This can be done by just looking on the sides of the aquarium. If you see alot of moisture, it has 100% humidity, If you do not see any moisture on the sides, take the aquarium inside, and slowly remove the lid, and spray the sides with a H2o2 solution until the sides have moisture on them. Do not spray the cakes directly or you could kill the primordia. Put the lid back on and place the container back outside. Co2 is heavier than air, so every few days you need to slowly tilt the aquarium to disperse the co2 out of the top of the lid through the hepa filter.

Now if you want to do casings do this. St up your aquarium the same way, except instead of the plate, you are going to use a small aluminum cake pan from the grocery store. Clean it very good with h2o2 and then put a layer of dry vermiculite 1/4 inch on the bottom. Next with gloved clean hands, you want to break up the cakes into small walnut size pieces. Put them in an even layer on top of the dry layer of vermiculite. There shouldn't be any extra space in the pan with out a piece of cake there. If so, your cake pan is too big. You need to have a good solid layer of cake pieces. Now place a piece of plastic over this mixture and set it in a warm dark place (80-86 degrees) until the pieces have had time to reconnect (about a week).

Now mix a bowl of vermiculite and h2o2 until you have the consistency of wet dirt. Remove the plastic cover from the "big cake" and sprinkle a thin 1/8- 1/2 thick layer of casing on your big cake. Make sure to keep it even, and do not pack it down, how it falls is how it stays on the big cake. Now place the big cake in the aquarium the way you did with the smaller jar cakes and put the lid on and put the aquarium outside. The humidity doesn't have to be at 100 % with casings. That is one of the jobs of the casing layer--too hold in humidity. As long as you see some moisture on the sides your ok. :smile:  bluhoney

Edited by bluhoney (04/30/05 08:28 AM)

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Seeking Experienced help PLEASE [Re: bluhoney]
    #4113508 - 04/30/05 01:02 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

PARAGRAPHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Offlinecubicidal
Stranger
Re: Seeking Experienced help PLEASE [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #4113650 - 04/30/05 02:06 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

One idea (that I tested and found to work well) is to cut your cakes in half, and arrange in the following manner:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale