Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Laminar Flow Hood, Perlite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejawbone
Stranger
Question about WBS clumping/Tale of Woe...
    #4112502 - 04/29/05 10:08 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

First time grower here.

I recently did a run of PC spores on WBS, and everything was progressing fantastically until my great home state of Michigan got hit with a bizarre snowy cold snap over the weekend. My incubation chamber sits against an outside wall, and the temperature drop was enough to kill the mycelium in all but one of my jars. (Note to self: relocate incubation chamber...)

That one surviving jar is between 70% and 80% colonized, but the WBS has begun to stick together in malted milk ball size clumps. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but I'm assuming it's not a favorable thing.

Any ideas what my have caused this, assuming it's abnormal?
Any advice on how to correct it and prevent any future clumping?
I'm thinking of adding a marble to each jar for my next batch to act as an agitator, but I'm not sure if this is a good call or not.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/comments.

Edited by jawbone (04/29/05 10:22 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: Question about WBS clumping/Tale of Woe... [Re: jawbone]
    #4112507 - 04/29/05 10:11 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

ive had clumps and it was not a problem, not sure about the marble idea though......

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

Re: Question about WBS clumping/Tale of Woe... [Re: jawbone]
    #4112530 - 04/29/05 10:22 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Sometimes your mycelium will survive a cold shock of that magnitude. A friend of mine kept a b+ jar colonized in her refrigerator for a 10 months, and then dunked it in a bowl of h2o2 and put it into a chamber consisting of a over turned Rubbermaid shoebox style container  with perlite dampened with h202 and water on the bottom. It fruited very nicely. In essence you put the mycelium in a dormant state in very cold weather, as long as it doesn't get below freezing you are ok. Remember also that the temp. in the jar is a few degrees higher than outside also. If you have in fact determined that your jars have died, do not take any chances with the one remaining jar. You need to do a grain transfer. What that is is just p.cooking some more jars with WBS, then using the same clean technique you used the first time, with a pair of sterilized tweezers, take a clump of colonized WBS from your one remaining jar and quickly transfer it to your new jar. You do not need but a small piece. So you should have enough in your one jar to colonize all the new jars. This way you can knock off some growing time, because you have already germinated the spores into mycelium. So the wait will not be but a week or two depending on jar size and amount of substrate (WBS) used. Hope this helps. :smile:bluhoney

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: Question about WBS clumping/Tale of Woe... [Re: bluhoney]
    #4112534 - 04/29/05 10:24 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

yea bluhoney is right do a grain to grain transfer but only if u have a glove box or flow hood

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlinejawbone
Stranger
Re: Question about WBS clumping/Tale of Woe... [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4112574 - 04/29/05 10:46 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Good call, bluhoney! I probably should have thought of a grain transfer right off the bat, but I'm a total n00b... Oh well, this is half the fun.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by jawbone (04/29/05 10:47 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Laminar Flow Hood, Perlite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation