Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Herb Grinder, Peat, Perlite, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinehpnotiq
Stranger
Got the spore-syringe, cant find vermiculite!! HELP SHROOMERS!!!
    #4111868 - 04/29/05 06:22 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I cannot find Vermiculite anywhere, do u know what i can use instead of that? Also, i cannot find brown rice flour anywhere either, only normal rice and Wild Rice.... Is there anything i can use instead of the verm and is the verm necessary? I really need all the help and advice possible! thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleNeedMoreSleep
OCD = 100%Sterility :-)

Loc: One Inch ↑
Re: Got the spore-syringe, cant find vermiculite!! HELP SHROOMERS!!! [Re: hpnotiq]
    #4111874 - 04/29/05 06:23 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Unfortunately you really need the verm if you're going to be doing PF cakes.  You might try to find whole grain brown rice and go that route... GL bro :stoned:

--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Re: Got the spore-syringe, cant find vermiculite!! HELP SHROOMERS!!! [Re: hpnotiq]
    #4111889 - 04/29/05 06:25 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

You could try perlite as an anti contam layer. But verm is safer imho.
Also you can grind brown rice with a coffee grinder. Ebay.

Do a search here, cause the "where can I get verm"  Q, is asked here every week.

I am not from the states so I dont know. I live in Holland and 20 miles from a verm factory.. :wink:

MF

--------------------

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Loc: you'll shoot yer eye out ...
Re: Got the spore-syringe, cant find vermiculite!! HELP SHROOMERS!!! [Re: NeedMoreSleep]
    #4111893 - 04/29/05 06:26 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Order a few sacks of Vermiculite from the cheapest place you can find.. then get a few lbs of brown rice flour (it goes a long way) too! Sometimes you gotta work for it if you really want it.

Sam

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Got the spore-syringe, cant find vermiculite!! HELP SHROOMERS!!! [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #4111899 - 04/29/05 06:27 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

use tyvek if you can find it but you will need to cover the whole thing in foil to keep the moisture in. Tyvek will dry out your cakes in a jiffy

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

Teh=The

I need to proofread

OfflineBeentothere
Waiting for abus
Re: Got the spore-syringe, cant find vermiculite!! HELP SHROOMERS!!! [Re: tahoe]
    #4111967 - 04/29/05 06:42 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Where do you live? Verm is available all over the place in Washington. Order some online if you can't find any around or just go straight for some wbs or horse shite.

--------------------
When I try to get through,
On the telephone to you,
There'll be nobody home...

Offlinecarl
Revolutionary
Re: Got the spore-syringe, cant find vermiculite!! HELP SHROOMERS!!! [Re: Beentothere]
    #4111978 - 04/29/05 06:48 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

OKie dokie. I know how hard it is to get verm as i ran into the same problem. Eventually i found it but there is other measures you can take. First for the BRF. You can simply buy brown rice and grind it up if you cant find it at a health food store. Second, if you absolutly cant find vermiculite, you can use peat. It comes in blocks at your local garden center. Use it the same as you would verm in your recipe, but use perlite for your top layer and try to get tyvek to cover your holes. If you cant get tyvek, you should be ok, just make sure to sterilize everything as good as you can.

OfflineOl_Mr_Owl
Emirie's #1 Fan

Loc: Left of US
Re: Got the spore-syringe, cant find vermiculite!! HELP SHROOMERS!!! [Re: Beentothere]
    #4111985 - 04/29/05 06:51 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, it's all over here too. I did notice that larger chain stores (hd, lowes, etc.) don't have them. You should check your local nursery.

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #4111992 - 04/29/05 06:53 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

did you check any sort of garden store?

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Offlinesnoo
Stranger

Re: Got the spore-syringe, cant find vermiculite!! HELP SHROOMERS!!! [Re: TODAY]
    #4112076 - 04/29/05 07:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

No chain stores seem to have it around here. I even had to go to 2 nurseries before I found it. It's there, you just have to search a little deeper than wal mart and lowe's. Just go to the yellow pages and call every nursery and garden store. Someone will have it.

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Got the spore-syringe, cant find vermiculite!! HELP SHROOMERS!!! [Re: snoo]
    #4112105 - 04/29/05 07:36 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

vermiculite is becoming ever increasingly hard to find. the major chains are discontinuing it (saying it is a carcinogen). haha. maybe, but what in our environment these days isn't? look for a new product called higromite, it should closely mimic verm. it is a volcanic deposit colonized by protozoa in freshwater lakes millions of years ago and has a greater moisture retention than verm. as far as it being a good barrier against contams, your guess is as good as mine. but it should work great as a replacement for verm in your cakes. it comes a little chunky, so you may or may not want to grind it up a little bit first. As long as silica will not hurt the myc any then give it a go. check out higromite.com. the only problem is that it is a little pricy. I also seen a thread here not too long ago where someone was testing coir as a replacement for the verm. have to search that out.

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Got the spore-syringe, cant find vermiculite!! HELP SHROOMERS!!! [Re: backupwards]
    #4112458 - 04/29/05 09:50 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I got mine from an Ace Hardware store.

So you might check any hardware stores that sell lawn seeds etc.

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: Got the spore-syringe, cant find vermiculite!! HELP SHROOMERS!!! [Re: CLUTCH]
    #4112528 - 04/29/05 10:21 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

order it online from www.mycosupply.com, or u can do the proven experiment i conducted with peat moss, jus mix in the peat moss like that other guy said up above(too lazy to look back for ure sn bro sry lol) just as u would the vermiculite. u dont even need a pH buffer! to tell u the truth i think this whole peat moss idea will become the new trend as vermiculite gets harder to find. check out the link in my signature "mty innovation of the pf tek"

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Edited by lordoftheshroomz (04/29/05 10:22 PM)

Offlinehpnotiq
Stranger
Re: Got the spore-syringe, cant find vermiculite!! HELP SHROOMERS!!! [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4112813 - 04/30/05 12:15 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I went to a garden store, werent sure what i was talking to, sent me to a veterinarian/agriculture place, THEY sent me to a real big Agricultural Company, i even talked to like the manager and he told me he gets verm about 2 hours away in car for his company but they use it for ANTI-FUNGUS/SHROOMS purposes.... I really need an alternative... anyone else?? ill pay you if u can help me grow it! seriously!!

OfflineAnArKi365
Potent

#4112837 - 04/30/05 12:23 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

well if you dont got brown rice and vermiculite then you cant realy do much about the pftek u should have got those first, do you even have a spore syringe?

--------------------
Life Without Me, Where Would You Be, Everone In The World Needs A Person Like....ME

Offlinehpnotiq
Stranger
    #4112927 - 04/30/05 12:44 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yea man, look at the topic, i ordered the spore-syringe thinking it would be easy to find the other stuff.... guessed wrong.... everyone read ^

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Herb Grinder, Peat, Perlite, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation