Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Incense, Salvia

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Native Wisdom Uncovered. Two New Entheogens for you.
    #4110143 - 04/29/05 09:31 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I was hesitant about sharing this information as I wanted to wait to release it until I published my book but I figured that my fellow pioneers would be able to put this information to good use. I don't like information hoarders that keep everything secret from those that truely seek but nor do I appreciate those who are information whores who expect those that spend years and years researching and thousands of dollars on books even if just to uncover a few leads, to just flat out share their knowledge with them only to pass it on to others claiming it to be of their own discovery. Knowledge is foundation that OUR healing practices thrive upon. For centuries the knowledge of the forest was passed down only through oral tradition. Unfortunatelly much of this was lost thanks to the spanish conquistadors killing of the millions of inhabitants, forcing the tribes people to fight back.

Luckilky some of this knowledge still remains today, sometimes only in the form of a single lead or sentence making a claim of plausible use of a botanical. This is precisely how I engage in my research work and uncovered what has became a huge compilation list of botanicals currently unknown by the mainstream ethnobotanical community to contain any activity of interest. Occasionally I will run across a few botanicals that I believe my Colleagues may find interesting and wish to research further. Not always are the future 'Salvia Divinorums and LSDs' listed and claimed to be powerful hallucinogens. Many times there will be a random quote or claim burried amongst millions of pages and thousands of books. In this case I had found a few leads quite a long time ago.

I've currently moved my focus point from South American entheogens to Native American Medicinals, albeit that I still spend much time verbally canoodling with my fellow argentine psychonauts about putative ethnomedicines. Through investigating botanicals used in native american sundry natural product and handicraft manufacture I had uncovered two small leads regarding the plants of interest that I am about to share with you. I don't claim to have uncovered anything or that this knowledge is unknown or rare, I simply wish to restore focus, interest, and attention on these botanicals.

Red Osier Dogwood and the extremely common Smooth Sumac. Now, what sparked my interest in these two particular plants is that I had found both living in perfect harmony in the landscape of a government building that I frequent. I noticed that the latin nomenclature for the Red Osier Dogwood may be a bit confusing as I have found it listed under many different names all in the genus Cornus. The most current and correct latin name for Red Osier Dogwood is:

Cornus sericea. Prior to C. sericea it was known as C. stolonifera . Along with one C. sericea, the trees inhabiting the landscape I was investigating were listed as C. baileyi. This was discouraging as I believed that I had been working with the wrong species the entire time but upon doing further research I had found that that was simply a synonym for both Cornus sericea 'Baileyi' and Cornus stolonifera "Baileyi" under the common name "Bailey Red Twig Dogwood". Cornus alba (aka C. alba stolonifera) may also be considered as "Red Osier Dogwood" and by what I understand, all species may be used as Red Osier dogwood interchangibly. You most likely will not encounter them listed under the name Thelycrania stolonifera, but if you do know that it is the correct species. I have seen the species of interest listed under the common names "Red Willow" or "Red Stem Willow", as well as the Chippewa name "KinnickKinnick" which literally translates to "That Which Is Mixed" and is used interchangibly with several species. It is known to the natives as midkwapimak.

The statement that really caught my eye about Red Osier Dogwood is that it was smoked by the Native Americans to produce effects similiar to Opium.. . .(just give you a minute to suck that information in). .. I uncovered this as I was compiling a list of Tobacco additives and Substitutes for my "Sundry Naturals" article. Apparently it is not practiced as frequently today as it was in the past. One N.A. explains the memories of his parents harvesting, preparing and smoking the Red Osier Dogwood both with and without tobacco from their peace pipe.

The method traditionally used was to use the Green Cambial Layer directly under the bark of the twigs. I had harvested this by taking several 6''-8'' twigs, carefully pealing the outer red bark off (which I saved to investigate later), then shaving strips of the white/green cambial tissue off of the stem with a knife. Allow this to dry until it is very brittle then it is to be rubbed against the palm of your hand to powder it. The natives roasted the strips of cambial tissue over a fire to speed up the drying process. The final product is what is to be smoked. When mixed with tobacco, it was to be mixed at a 3:1 ratio and is thought to make the tobacco much more smooth and better tasting.

The leaves may be smoked as well but it is not the traditional part used. The leaves can be a little harsh on the lungs when smoked. However, the dried cambial layer which I refer to as "midkwapimak"( the traditional name of Red Osier Dogwood) produces an excellent tasting smoke when smoked alone or with tobacco. Upon retaining a few lungfulls there is an obvious change in consciousness. Unfortuatelly due to my current mental state, each time I have smoked midkwapimak, a brief minor episode of anxiety would IMMEDIATELY result right after I blew out the 2nd or 3rd lungful of smoke. This should not change or dictate your understanding or expectations for the effects however as my mental state is not prime for bioassaying anything but I urged myself to do it for the sake of this essay. I am very anxious to smoke it again when I can take some time off work to relax and do so in a more traditional setting.

Red Osier Dogwood, when used as KinnickKinnick, had great spiritual and religious significance in older day. Nearly all of the Cornus species have medicinal properties , which I will not cover here. I have been doing more and more research on this species everyday so I hope to expand on this further, including information regarding any phytopharmacologicaly active compounds in the cornus genus, at a later date. I just placed an order for One Hundred, One Year Old, One Foot Tall Red Osier Dogwood (C. sericea) trees and will be growing them out over the next year. I may be able to supply (sell/trade) both the live plants and the dried material within the next 2-3 months. Contact if interested.. You may be able to find these at your local nursery however so look around.

Smooth Sumac is known as Rhus glabra. It is a very common and beautiful ornamental and native plant used in landscaping and found growing in the wild all across the midwest. It's often cultivated to provide food and shelter for wildlife and its color changing properties which produce brilliant shades of red. I found information on this plant compiling a list of botanicals that are smoked to treat Asthma as the leaves of smooth sumac are used for. The leaves are also smoked with tobacco as an additive and alone as a substitute. The berries are delicious and used to make a beverage resembling Pink Lemonaid. The berries produce an amazing tasting smoke that is possibly one of my favorite tasting KinnickKinnick candidates I have sampled so far.

I have encountered Smooth Sumac so many times in the past, I am suprised that I had not investigated it prior. So the leaves and berries can be smoked for a nice tasting smoke but here is whats going to get you hooked...

I was reading "Medicinal Plants of the Heartland" by connie Kaye and Neil Billington when I uncovered the following information regarding Rhus glabra and other species of sumac including Dwarf and Fragrant sumac.

"Many Indian tribes used sumac species interchangeably for many medicinal purposes. For peace pipe ceremonies, they used the dried berries or powdered bark mixed with tobacco. Some Overdosed and hallucinated, believeing they were flying through the air...... .. Millspaugh wrote about sumac: ".. OIl extracted from the seeds can be made into candles which burn brilliantly... During the summer of 1879 while botanizing I ate the refreshing berries on three successive nights, following this occurence I Flew! over new your with a graceful and delicious motion I would give several years of my life to experience in reality"...

Caution should be taken when eating the berries in large doses or over an extended period as Hallucinogenic effects have been reported. " (end excerpt from book)

Hmmm, now lets think about this... A delicius tasting Pink Lemonaide that causing hallucinations and sensations of flight. I can just imagine it now, Im back in sacred part of the woods on my property, Sitting back in the chair I had carved out of an old tree stump.. Sipping on a tall glass of Hallusumaconade (Smooth Lemonade, call it what you will). Maybe these are the famed Hallucoberries that I speak of (as I use to regard the unripe mullberries as)..

Well I hope this information gives you something to ponder. I'm glad that I had the oppurtunity to share it with you. I have been working on my book ,"Entheomation", for the past six years now and am really wanting to get it published. It's full of information like this and I really want to share it but im afraid to release it all online prior to publishing it as i've worked so hard on it over the years. I dont know the first thing about getting a book published but I hope that maybe I can make some connections that do. I have, however, put a few of my essays up on my website "www.entheomation.com" from which I hope to eventually launch the Ethonobotanical Market foundation that I speak of (The coalition of all Ethnobotanical vendors and all members of the community working together to keep our holy sacraments legal, safe, and sacred.) Thanks to all who have helped me form this foundation through your PMs and comments. It is the one thing that gets me out of bed in the morning, thinking that I may be able to get enough people together to form a completely non-profit foundation that saves our plants, planet, and even the lives of the less informed/ ill informed pioneers. Please PM me if you have any questions or comments about this project.

Thanks for taking time to read this post. If anyone has any questions or comments on these particular plants please share them here and I too will do my best to update you with my future discoveries regarding these plants. I hope to, someday soon, be able to share with all of you the information that I have came across during my many years as a pioneer studying our holy sacrements in the form of both a website and a published book (hopefully making enough money back to pay for all of the books I bought and couldn't afford, or to purchase more and further my studies.)

I urge each one of you to become familiar with the plants sorrounding you in yur environment. Through classes, field guides, and studies. A whole new world of ancient knowledge will open up to you. Best wishes to all,

entheomation, aneglakya, alkaloidaholic

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Native Wisdom Uncovered. Two New Entheogens for you. [Re: Aneglakya]
    #4110172 - 04/29/05 09:48 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

damnit, already late for work!  i am away for the weekend too :frown:  i hate seeing this stuff and not being ableto finish it :frown:

but thanks for postingit!

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
Re: Native Wisdom Uncovered. Two New Entheogens for you. [Re: kadakuda]
    #4110208 - 04/29/05 10:13 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Nice.
I would love to read your book. Have you contacted any publishers?
The normal way to get a book published is to send in an outline and a sample chapter to a publishing house. If they like it, they will pay you a certain amount to finish it, usually a sweet couple of grand.
Of course, you might want to find an entheo-friendly book publisher.
You could also hit up historical publishers as I am sure they would love to put out a book like yours.

Anyway, great post! Good luck in your continuing research and efforts! :heart:

--------------------
No ONE wants to know the ultimate TRUTH, as soon as YOU find IT out, YOU want to forget IT.

You are everything's way of feeling itself.

Happy Schwag, everygodly!

OfflineHidingInPlainSight
Male User Gallery
Loc: Portland, OR
Re: Native Wisdom Uncovered. Two New Entheogens for you. [Re: mecreateme]
    #4110244 - 04/29/05 10:35 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

GREAT post man.. keep up the work!!!

Offlinethe man
still tappin caps

Loc: C A N A D A Flag
Re: Native Wisdom Uncovered. Two New Entheogens for you. [Re: HidingInPlainSight]
    #4110309 - 04/29/05 11:12 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

very interesting read. i read of this when i was very young. studyign native americans. and i stumbled upon the recipe for that tabbaco recipe. i think it had blueberries or blueberry leaves in it too. but that was very logn ago and i dont really remember. i thought that if i got all teh ingredients that was what tabbaco that people smoked was. haha

peace

--------------------
http://www.fsrc.caand FSRE are now accepting edible/medicinal spores. please donate

And Moses Said "Let my mushrooms grow!"

InvisibleStonerguy
I smoke penis
Male

Loc: Lost
Re: Native Wisdom Uncovered. Two New Entheogens for you. [Re: the man]
    #4110416 - 04/29/05 11:45 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Nice read, now lets go get high!! No im just kidding to bad none of these plants grow wild where I live (atleast I dont think so).

--------------------
yawn...
SG

InvisibleShamansPalace
Tree Hugger

Loc: www.ShamansPalace.com
Re: Native Wisdom Uncovered. Two New Entheogens for you. [Re: Stonerguy]
    #4110450 - 04/29/05 11:55 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Man ive got to say. Once again. BraVO !!

Hehe. Got some Smooth berry Plants in me back Yard :shocked:
Always wondered what they were. We have a farm of them pretty much  :grin:

I went searching for Red Osier Dogwood's the other day. Found a couple of CLOSE CLOSE species but i think i did spot a true Red Osier Bush . I will go back and check some pattern's today if i can .

--------------------
Shaman's Palace
FREE Gift's with EVERY ORDER !!
QUICK shipping !10% Shroomery Member Discount!
www.ShamansPalace.com
Questions - Sales@Shamanspalace.com

OfflineOrganic
Lloyd

Loc: Overlook
    #4110451 - 04/29/05 11:55 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks Alk, very informative post. I wonder if these grow in my region...never investigated them really, but I know we have abundant dogwoods and what is known as 'poison sumac' locally.

--------------------

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#4110953 - 04/29/05 02:13 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Fantastic contribution! You're a real asset to the entheogen community.

You could always go to cafepress.com, who publish any books. They set a base price, which they keep, and you get to set the total price & keep the difference. I believe you get to keep the rights to your work, but you might want to double check the legal terms.

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #4110968 - 04/29/05 02:18 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Wow, wow very nice, kudos :smile:. Let me know when that book of yours is published :grin:.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #4110997 - 04/29/05 02:28 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hi,

since you brought up the subject of Kinnickinnick, I thought that it would be appropriate to post this here in your thread. However, since it is over 30 pages, I decided to post only here the cover for the paper.

The paper is written by the Anishinaubeg Shamaness of the Ojibway tribe in Northern Michigan and southern Ontario, Canada by Keewaydinoquay, the only North American Shaman whose tribe has used Amanita muscaria mushrooms ceremoniously for over four hundred years.

I am not sure if your research, as you noted above, covered any of the work of this great woman.

And so here is but the cover page of her 1977 paper on Kinnickinnick.

If anyone here is interested in the whole paper let me know in the thread I will start here today with five pages of the paper.

mj

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #4111071 - 04/29/05 02:45 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

smooth sumac has been used for a long time by the cherokee as a medicinal, I'm not
sure of any other uses but I'll ask. the bush grows everywhere in the south as well

john, I'd be interested in a copy of that boolet

Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor
    #4111226 - 04/29/05 03:22 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

yeah the stuff grows everywhere here. when i was a kid i used to eat the berrries all the time because i was told they are high in ascorbic acid(vit. C). in fact this year im growing purple cannabis varities because the sumac beeries look just like huge purple buds concealing my plants.

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Netherlands
Re: Native Wisdom Uncovered. Two New Entheogens for you. [Re: durban_poison]
    #4111593 - 04/29/05 05:09 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Kewlamundo!

--------------------
-Know ye not that ye are gods?-
My homepage

InvisibleBoom
Supervisor
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #4112540 - 04/29/05 10:29 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Nice post, I work at a nursery...

We have more than 500 red twig dogwoods, 3 gallon containers and 5 gallons.  I'll check out the latin name tommorow, but I am excited. :grin:

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
    #4114274 - 04/30/05 12:16 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Very interesting to say the least.

Thank you for sharing that!  :sun:

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

#4114559 - 04/30/05 02:18 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Im glad you shaired the info about the dogwood and sumac.

Sumac has been used for pipe stems for prayer pipes since the first pipe.

They used to soak the peace of wood in bear grease, then place a maggot in the pithy center. The maggot would eat its way threw the pithy center and bore a hole for the pipe stem...

Dog wood is definetly an important part to kiknick but i never thought of it on its own as a entheogen.

In a few months when the sumac berries are out im gonna make me a couple of gallons of sumac tea. The tea reminds me of pink lemonade in a way. slightly sweet without the bite. And is the traditional way of getting some very important vitamins such as vit. c.

Awesome post.

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

Re: Native Wisdom Uncovered. Two New Entheogens for you. [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #4115311 - 04/30/05 06:09 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

incense cedar, red cedar, copal, juniper, lavender, mugwort, osha, pinon, California white sage, desert sage, sweet grass, tobacco, red willow bark and yerba santa, look into these sacraments and you will find plenty of interesting uses and insight.

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #4117041 - 05/01/05 01:39 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

interesing stuff!

once you publish your book im sure you will let us know.  put down 1 copy for this canuck.

money is an issue for me.  but if i can help you out in any way i can please feel free to ask.  i have been looking more and more into teh ethnogens of the local peoples here on vancouver island.  very interesting stuff, although hard to find.  and with many first nations (and i can in no way hold it against them) being bitter against white people its that much harder.  they are still shafted today.  coastal people here have had a very hard time.  tehy get it from the government, the buisnesses, teh schools and teh public.  its a god damn shame white people inhabited here.

anyway if your interested in some more northernly stuff contact this person.  i have yet to write her.  and her e-mail does not work.  this info is quite old as the 604 area code was changed i guess about 10 years ago...so the phone wont work either :frown:

http://www.eman-rese.ca/eman/ecotools/botanists/TurnerNJ.html

i should also mention that i am having a really hard time finding copies of her books.  i have not ever seen them for sale, but the libraries seem to have a couple.  i havnt checked teh university yet as i cant find my way around that campus :lol:  anyway what i have read of hers is pretty damned cool!

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Edited by kadakuda (05/01/05 01:42 AM)

Offlinesuzie_girl
journeyman
Loc: The Proud and Ignorant So...
Re: Native Wisdom Uncovered. Two New Entheogens for you. [Re: mjshroomer]
    #4131593 - 05/04/05 09:49 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

mj - I'm interested in the book if no one else is; tried to find it on abebooks.com and on amazon; must be rare or out of print

suzie

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Incense, Salvia

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden