Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
about PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)
    #4107628 - 04/28/05 03:55 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I am a strong practitioner and believer in hunting and fishing as hobbies. I myself can build a wooden bow, make a flint broad head, cane arrows, and sinew bowstrings. They are my weapons of choice. I think that hunting is a spiritual activity that can keep one in touch with their spiritual nature. Participating in the cycle of life and death is a powerful reminder that we too will one day be food for other organisms. It is the nature and WAY of life. Many who eat meat, wear leather shoes, drink milk, eat fish, and use a wide assortment of animal products each day will declare hunting and fishing to be cruel. I feel that supporting the huge animal factories where animals are brought up merely to be cranked into processed meat is much more cruel. I do eat processed meat, but prefer wild meat and fish over it for aesthetic and moral reasons. Being in the forest with a bow, involved in the most ancient of rituals, restores the connection to our ancient past.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRetired
Re: about PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4107636 - 04/28/05 03:57 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

tell me more about the bow making...i have a 6ft hung of osage orange im waiting to slice into a bow. what is your process, wood of choice...so on.

OfflineOddish
Bulbasaur!
Male

#4107643 - 04/28/05 03:59 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I agree.

On a sidenote, PETA is a ridiculous organization. I read about how they attacked groups like the March of Dimes, the Pediatric AIDS Foundation, and the American Cancer Society for conducting animal testing to find cures for birth defects and life-threatening diseases.

:confused: :thumbdown:

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4107651 - 04/28/05 04:04 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Hey we have this in common. I did my survival training in the High Desert (Piute country). I used to spend my summers in the desert canyons. My bow is from bitter cherry and arrows from wild desert rose, fletched with buzzard feathers, points obsidian. What fun, and yes spirit too. I agree with your post wholeheartedly. :thumbup:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: about PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) [Re: Retired]
    #4107661 - 04/28/05 04:08 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I sent PM

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Offlinemygodisme
mommy

Re: about PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) [Re: Icelander]
    #4107665 - 04/28/05 04:09 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I'm sure that PETA means well on some things; do we really need people murdering animals just for jollies? What excuse is there for blowing up a bunny rabbit?

On 99.99% of everything else PETA does, however, they act like absolute morons. Yes, animals are wonderful, sacred things...and without us as their predators, they would die anyway.

Despite living in the south my entire life, though, I have never been hunting and I don't really care to. If others want to hunt, hunt away! I won't stop you and I won't say anything bad about you. I will, however, be more than happy to cook that meat you bring back =)

--------------------
I've seen the infinite. It's nothing special.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: about PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) [Re: Icelander]
    #4107671 - 04/28/05 04:11 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I have used wild rose for arrows, but how good a wood is cherry for a bow? I have used Yew, Birch, Hickory, Red Oak, and Osage...my favorite is Yew. I once made a replica Medieval Yew LongBow with horn tips. It pulls 85lbs at 28" and about 140 at with a 36" war arrow.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: about PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) [Re: mygodisme]
    #4107680 - 04/28/05 04:15 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

"What excuse is there for blowing up a bunny rabbit?"

You are misinformed. I don't hunt with bombs.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4107681 - 04/28/05 04:15 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I really want to go hunting one of these days. I like meat, but have problems with the practices of factory farms. I think it's much more humane, and more in harmony with nature, to kill an animal out in the wild yourself than to have it raised in cramped quarters by someone else on a factory farm and bring it to a slaughterhouse. I have caught and gutted fish before, and there definitely is something more rewarding about catching it yourself, having that direct contact with it.

--------------------

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #4107691 - 04/28/05 04:17 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Do you condone hunting for fun? ie, killing things without consuming the corpse...

Edit: I ask because I think there is a huge world of difference between what most people consider "hunting" and what you are describing... I would fully condone what you are describing, but I don't agree with killing for sport.

OfflineOddish
Bulbasaur!
Male

#4107692 - 04/28/05 04:17 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Venison is, in my opinion, one of the tastiest treats there is.  :yesnod:

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: about PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #4107716 - 04/28/05 04:24 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

What I described is what I condone...I do however enjoy the process. That makes it no less valid. If I return empty handed I am happy as well. I often just appreciate a chance to walk the woods.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4107739 - 04/28/05 04:30 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
I have used wild rose for arrows, but how good a wood is cherry for a bow? I have used Yew, Birch, Hickory, Red Oak, and Osage...my favorite is Yew. I once made a replica Medieval Yew LongBow with horn tips. It pulls 85lbs at 28" and about 140 at with a 36" war arrow.

Well I can't really compare. I have only used wild cherry from my area of the High Desert, because that's all I know of that works here. It's a very short bow, very useful in tight brush. In fact the Piutes used to hold it perpendicular, tight against their chest and push it away from themselves instead of pulling the bowstring back. The arrow is fitted and held tight to the chest with two fingers. A quick push and then release. It works well in brush and avoids extra movement. The bow I made from cherry works quite well, that's all I know. The string is from deer sinue. I also used a throwing stick, and became very good at using deadfalls and snares. Like I said fun, exciting, spiritual. I hate factory tortured meat. I will not eat it, even at a resturant. It's so fucking cruel. I hate it. :thumbdown: :sad:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

#4107740 - 04/28/05 04:30 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
What I described is what I condone...I do however enjoy the process. That makes it no less valid. If I return empty handed I am happy as well. I often just appreciate a chance to walk the woods.

I wasn't trying to imply that enjoying it makes it invalid... I was just saying that I don't agree with the act of killing in a pompous self-indulgent manner as a means of exerting power.

I too enjoy walks in the woods.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: about PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #4107761 - 04/28/05 04:34 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Then we are in agreement on all of your points. I dislike hunting with more than a single shot gun (.22 or .32 muzzle loader for squirrels), and "trophy" hunting is repugnant to me. I believe that it is what you called "the act of killing in a pompous self-indulgent manner as a means of exerting power". I also do not really care for compound bows.

--------------------

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

#4107783 - 04/28/05 04:40 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
Then we are in agreement on all of your points. I dislike hunting with more than a single shot gun (.22 or .32 muzzle loader for squirrels), and "trophy" hunting is repugnant to me. I believe that it is what you called "the act of killing in a pompous self-indulgent manner as a means of exerting power". I also do not really care for compound bows.

Yeah, that is what I meant... guess I don't know terminology.

Offlinemygodisme
mommy

#4107792 - 04/28/05 04:41 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I'm sorry! No, I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about these two stupid kids who blew up their pet rabbit with some sort of explosive.

I'm all for hunting =) What I was trying to say, is that some of the things PETA has done has helped animals, like getting laws passed that prosecute people who do stupid shit (like blowing up bunnies), but most of the stuff that organization has done has been stupid and gotten it way negative press.

Sorry about the misunderstanding =)

--------------------
I've seen the infinite. It's nothing special.

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #4108376 - 04/28/05 06:49 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

PETA's a joke... nuff' said.

I do agree with your opinion as to the ethical treatement of animals, although I do eat processed meat due to my situation.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4108433 - 04/28/05 07:11 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

You do what you do..

I have one question though..
Why is hunting spiritual?
Or a better question even: which concept of "spiritual" does hunting get you in touch with?

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#4108457 - 04/28/05 07:18 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I think hunting for practical purposes (food, materials) is just fine. I do have a problem with hunting for hunting's sake though, where the killing of the animal is seen as a prize. It's all about having respect for the animals. They feel pain just like you and me. But yeah, hunting for fresh meat instead of supporting the cruel practices of meat factories is a plus.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom