Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Portable Greenhouse

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNocforweb
Stranger
Greenhouse idea
    #4107120 - 04/28/05 03:23 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

So I've been thinking about how I'd go about setting up my first batch and, after reading all the talk about the fear of contamination, I naturally thought "cleanroom".  At first I was planning to build by own using plastic and poles but after reading about Marthas on here I found something better and more affordable that I think would work: Portable Greenhouses.

Basically I am thinking of buying one (found some good prices) and, whenever I'm ready to go through the Tek, just unfold it and tape up any openings but the doorway, holes for an extension cord (tape up around where the cable comes through) and an air hole or two next to where the air purifier will be.  I'd walk in, sterelize it thoroughly (easier then trying to sterilize a bathroom or kitchen I would think).  Then I would set up a fold out table or two to hold the crackpot and other utensils, sterilize those.  Bring in whatever I end up using to hold the culture while it grows (likely along with a Martha for it), sterilize all that.  Leave an air purifier in there for an hour for good measure, put on a clean lab coat (I have one left over from a previous job - no, nothing exciting), sterilize myself any time I go in, and get to work.  When evertything is ready just stick the terrarium into its sterile Martha or whatever else I hold it in (all without passing it through an outside non-sterile environment), and then seal that up as much as possible without killing the new culture.  Fold up the greenhouse and tuck it away until needed again, then just wait for my new babies to grow.

So what do you think, plausible or just overly paranoid?  Has it been tried before?  Am I overlooking something obvious?  (Have I mentioned I'm really excited by this project?  :grin:)

By the way, I've been in a lot of forums over time and I have to say, this is the single friendliest and most helpful group of people I have ever encountered - just goes to show you that more people should try drugs.  :smile:  In thanks I will be getting my spores from one of the sponsors - haven't decided which yet but its the least I can do!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Greenhouse idea [Re: Nocforweb]
    #4107508 - 04/28/05 05:22 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

start here and hit the next button, farmtek has some pretty interesting stuff
personaly I think you may be a little overly paranoid

http://www.farmtekcatalog.com/0334.asp

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Greenhouse idea [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4107523 - 04/28/05 05:27 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
personaly I think you may be a little overly paranoid

Agreed... contams aren't nearly as much of a threat as most make them out to be. All I use is a glovebox for jar inoculation. Everything else is open air, and I've never had a contam.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4107638 - 04/28/05 05:58 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Dead freezer for FREE from appliance repair places.

--------------------

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Re: Greenhouse idea [Re: agar]
    #4107711 - 04/28/05 06:23 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:

Dead freezer for FREE from appliance repair places.

Are you suggesting he do his sterile work inside that freezer, my friend? :wink:

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Greenhouse idea [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #4108111 - 04/28/05 07:52 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

LOL........NO

I just glanced at his post. I thought he was looking for a good incubator / fruiting chamber.

You can build a mini clean room with a screw gun, screws, 2X2's, & a roll of heavy 4 mil plastic in short order, for cheap. It takes a bit of ingenuity, but isn't that hard, once you have a plan & the pieces, it goes togather quick.

--------------------

OfflineNocforweb
Stranger
Re: Greenhouse idea [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4108274 - 04/28/05 08:22 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

ack! sorry if i'm doubleposting my answer, doesn't look like it went through - i'd actually looked at that site already.  i'd seen the link posted (i think by you actually) in another thread and that's what actually gave me the idea of buying a geenhouse! :smile:  Chances are i'll get a second-hand one off of ebay and patch it up with hot-glue and electrical tape since i'm poor.

i agree with the paranoia btw (though i'm still claiming i'm just excited) but i only have one shot at each of these spores - can't impose on the person to forward me another batch.  because of that i will also  probably order some cyanescens (who knows when i'll have another chance) but from what i've been reading they may be well over my skill level so i can use all the support i can get, especially since i'm growing indoors only, so..

OfflineNocforweb
Stranger
Re: Greenhouse idea [Re: agar]
    #4108292 - 04/28/05 08:27 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

sorry if i'm posting twice, my browser is acting up - i'd originally planned to build my own actually by setting up some hooks in the ceiling beems and wall beems at 4 corners, then hanging plastic down pavilion style. I ended up changing my mind when i saw that the pre-built ones on auction were not that much more expensive and they'd be more portable / user friendly. if i don't win a cheap auction i might just do it myself though.

OfflineNocforweb
Stranger
    #4108299 - 04/28/05 08:29 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

wow, sounds like you have some pretty good sterilization techniques, what's your secret? i've read the sterilization guide on this site and it looked pretty thorough but i've also seen all the pictures of shrooms molding over... what strains do you grow btw (they sound pretty resistant)?

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

#4110115 - 04/29/05 09:02 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Nocforweb said:
wow, sounds like you have some pretty good sterilization techniques, what's your secret? i've read the sterilization guide on this site and it looked pretty thorough but i've also seen all the pictures of shrooms molding over... what strains do you grow btw (they sound pretty resistant)?

There is no secret... I'm just careful and methodical.

I spray down the area I'm working in with Oust.

I use a glove box for innoculating jars. I spray the inside of the glovebox with Lysol before loading it.

and I only spawn to pasteurized substrates, so there's always 'good bacteria' to help fight off any potential contams that get in during spawning.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I really think people tend to be overly paranoid about contamination.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4110806 - 04/29/05 01:33 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Check out my Closet link in my signature. Has some home made closet info you may find interesting.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineNocforweb
Stranger
Re: Greenhouse idea [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4121397 - 05/02/05 01:07 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Wow, that seems like a great layout, I'll have to look into modifying it for some of my closets (its an apartment so I can't take out the shelves per say). Thank you much!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Portable Greenhouse

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation