Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
College for everyone?
    #4106970 - 04/28/05 12:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Last night my husband and I had a long talk about my attending college. He says that ever since I've started taking full time classes I've been miserable, and this is true. I am constantly stressed out and feel like I don't have control over my own life anymore. I feel constantly emotional and overwrought, just with the pressure of 3 families expectations on my head. Anyway, he said that he wanted me to know that if college is too stressful for me right now that he will support me if I want to quit. He said that he knows how horrible it can be trying to endure 4 years of stressful classes just for a piece of paper.

So I've been thinking about it. I don't think my college career is up yet, but I can't deny that the past few months have felt like hell. What with my friend dying, a roommate living with me and a bunch of other stuff I'd rather not discuss, I've been so depressed lately. But I've been blaming everything on myself, thinking "if I can just pull it together, things will be better," but I keep failing to pull myself together, and so I get stuck in a cycle thinking that it's my fault. And now I feel like I'm in a hole.

But that's beside the point.

My husband said that he believes that college isn't for everyone. Do you believe this?

I know I need some sort of training so that I can at least get a good job. And I do like some aspects of college. But let me just say that having my husband be honest with me and tell me that it's okay if I want to stop going to college gave me a lot of relief.

I don't know what I'm going to do yet, but in general (and I know this has been asked countless times but I'm asking it again):

what do you think about college?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: College for everyone? [Re: MOTH]
    #4106976 - 04/28/05 12:40 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

college is good depending on what you want to do with it...

I know a lot of grads flipping burgers

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: College for everyone? [Re: goobler]
    #4106991 - 04/28/05 12:49 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Half of the people on my husbands team at Dell have college degrees and they are making the same money and doing the same job as he is.

But he is wanting to go back to college simply because beyond where he is at, the advancement opportunities are slim.

As for me, my entire goal is to be a writer. I know that a college degree might be valuable to have once I want to get my book published. It might give me more credibility. I do intend on getting a bachelors degree because of this. But I might be doing it much slower then other people. I'm not sure I can handle the full time college thing right now.

Probably the best thing I can do for myself in regards to my writing goal is to start submitting my work to magazines and periodicals. I got the Writer's Market Guide and it is packed full of places you can send your work. I'll start doing that.

I've tried college twice now. I've been going for a year, and two years before that I did the same thing. I get so frustrated because even though I take all these classes it feels like nothing is getting done. Going to college simply for a piece of paper is bad motivation.

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

#4106992 - 04/28/05 12:49 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah I would say college is defenitely not for everyone. If you stop and think, there are a lot of people without college degrees out there. And not everyone gets their degree in their early 20's. There is a thread in the pub right now about someone who is getting a 4 year technical degree and he's in his late twenties.

Just do college when you're ready for it. Especially if you don't need it right now. But if you aren't going to do college, get a job and keep it.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

OfflineSoK
pimpin sincebeen pimpinsince beenpimpin since..

Loc: ohio river valley
Re: College for everyone? [Re: freddurgan]
    #4106997 - 04/28/05 12:50 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

tough it out, its worth it... if i can do it anyone can do it

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #4107000 - 04/28/05 12:51 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I know lots of rich people that didn't go to college. Starting a business, being a contractor, anything like that, college isn't necassary.

I know one guy that was a lawyer for ten years, than decided to quit and buy a pickup truck and a lawn mower. He seems like he's really happy now...

You don't need college to suceed in life, but it IS a nice thing to fall back on. It'll also get your foot in the door at a job before someone that didn't go to college, so personally I'd definetly recommend it, unless you have plans to work for yourself.

OfflineRomanticBeing
Stoner

#4107004 - 04/28/05 12:52 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

You know in the long run having a collage diploma is good and you have alot more opportunities. I dont think you should quit you should maybe go part time. Then you also waste all of that money.

OfflineGreat Scott
Trigger Lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: Control Grid
    #4107005 - 04/28/05 12:52 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Completely normal.
College is a bitch.
I dropped out, and now i will be working part time and attending wilderness survival classes next year.
My ultimate plan is to live simple, low key, and under the radar. Lots of side projects and lots of travelling.
I still have a lot to figure out, but i know in my heart that the "established path" of intellectual/professional careerism will do nothing to satisfy my soul.
Rock on and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

--------------------
:thumbup: :thumbdown:

Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: College for everyone? [Re: SoK]
    #4107007 - 04/28/05 12:52 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

its really only worth it if you are entering the corporate workforce where positions are offered due to level of education...

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #4107009 - 04/28/05 12:53 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

If college was for everyone then no one would be working the low/shit jobs. Degrees wouldn't be so special because everyone would have one.

I know a guy that got his masters in teaching and ended up as an IT technician. One of my friends went to school for marine biology or some shit and ended up working for close to minimum wage in some factory. Then you have the guy who dropped out of high school and was a drug dealer, until he made enough money to start his own lawncare business, now he's making more than most college grads I know personally.

I think I'd like to go to college, but just to learn about things I'm interested in and expand my knowledge. I can't think of what I'd want a degree in. Lots of people cant even afford college, so they are fucked either way, unless they can pull a scholarship out of their ass.

College is definitely not for everyone. Although I've never been. And I'm a high school dropout, so what do I know. nothing.

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: College for everyone? [Re: Boom]
    #4107013 - 04/28/05 12:54 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

At this point, I think I am going to be working either part time or full time, and taking only a class or two.

I KNOW I can do college, I just have to find a way to do it on my own terms, so that I don't get so stressed.

If it means only taking 1 class a semester for several years, then that is what I will do.

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

#4107019 - 04/28/05 12:55 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

1 class a semester will take you like 16 years :wink: If you're gonna do it, bump it up a notch after a year or so.

--------------------
Ishmael

Ron Paul 2008!

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#4107029 - 04/28/05 12:59 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Well, I'm hoping that a few light semesters will teach me what I need to know (time/stress management) so that eventually I can go back to being a full-time student. I have this fantasy of somehow being more responsible when I'm older.

The thought of being in college for 16 years makes me want to barf.
If I get it done in 6 years or less I'll be happy.

Offlineemptywisdom
simple being oflight
 User Gallery

Loc: Lemuria
    #4107037 - 04/28/05 01:02 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Bill Gates decided College was not for him, I think he's doing alright.

It's not for everybody, hell, the lifestyle that a college education benifits is not for everybody. I know I don't want to get one job or be obligated to live in one spot. Constant change is something my soul requires, I can't get trapped into a routine for very long.

--------------------

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #4107038 - 04/28/05 01:02 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

What's your part time job? For me, working at a shit job on the weekends is inspiration enough to bang out some studying and good grades during the week. I mean, stress is normal with school, everyone gets it to some extent, but how you deal with it is up to you.

You have to feed off the stress to get things done. All the energy you spend worrying about imposing deadlines and classes and tests is more than enough to just get it done. It's not a permanent thing, if you work harder, you'll be done quicker.

OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4107049 - 04/28/05 01:05 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

yeah pace yerself. Ive been doing computer engineering for 5 years now and im pretty burnt out. For the past year it seems college is holding me back and ive been tempted to drop out but having a degreee is sort of security blanket. I have started 2 corporations this year so far and plan on working for myself until i retire. Worst case senerio i have to get a job and use my degree as a qualification. though im sure having my own companies for experience will help too. Information taught in college isnt exactly up to date especially for my major so you gotta jump through a lot of hoops and do trivial assignments. And for most majors they make you take completely irrelivent stuff. ie a business major would have to take chem or bio. If i could do it all again id probably take 2 classes a semester for a long ass time while also working for myself.

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on.you'll see devils tearing your life away.
But...if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels
Freeing you from the earth.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: College for everyone? [Re: Boom]
    #4107056 - 04/28/05 01:06 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Booooom said:
What's your part time job? For me, working at a shit job on the weekends is inspiration enough to bang out some studying and good grades during the week. I mean, stress is normal with school, everyone gets it to some extent, but how you deal with it is up to you.

You have to feed off the stress to get things done. All the energy you spend worrying about imposing deadlines and classes and tests is more than enough to just get it done. It's not a permanent thing, if you work harder, you'll be done quicker.

You're exactly right...I don't know what's wrong with me that I can't seem to hack it. Well, to be perfectly blunt...I simply don't care. I don't care about college. I know I need it, but I can't bring myself to care about it just because I need it. Sad I know.

As for my job, I'm job-searching right now. I have an interview later this week.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: College for everyone? [Re: Eightball]
    #4107083 - 04/28/05 01:12 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Eightball said:
And for most majors they make you take completely irrelivent stuff. ie a business major would have to take chem or bio.

Yeah, that's one of the things that frustrates me...I have to take all these math and science classes. I guess what really killed this semester for me is the fact that I was taking a math class (a REMEDIAL math class) and I was paying attention in class, doing homework and tutoring, and I still couldn't get it. I had to drop the class because I couldn't get the algebra to make sense for me in my brain. I think it damaged my self-confidence because ever since then I haven't been able to get a grip on the rest of my classes.

Also, I'm one of those people who can't see that far ahead. Like...you could tell me that the reason why I'm taking classes is to get a degree to better myself and it wouldn't mean a thing to me, because the end goal is 4 years away. How can I care about something that won't come to fruitation for years and years. All I can see up until that point is math classes that I can't seem to pass and it's very discouraging.

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

#4107092 - 04/28/05 01:15 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

EllemyshShade said:
You're exactly right...I don't know what's wrong with me that I can't seem to hack it. Well, to be perfectly blunt...I simply don't care. I don't care about college. I know I need it, but I can't bring myself to care about it just because I need it. Sad I know.

MAN do I hear that. I'm at college because I'm afraid of not going to college. That's basically what keeps me here. I don't care at all about my curriculum. It's soooo mind numbingly boring, every bit of it. I just want it to end.

But that's not a good way to go about college. College for the sake of college isn't college. Just the piece of paper will -maybe- make like easier, but you know in your heart or not if you're really getting anything out of college.

--------------------
Ishmael

Ron Paul 2008!

OfflineBloodNOil
Captain Zeep
 User Gallery
    #4107114 - 04/28/05 01:20 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Take some time off to figure out what you love, and then decide
whether or not to study it.

--------------------
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom