Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCaptainCrunch
Contrary ToPopular Belief

Loc: Somwhere Over the rainbow
New Incubation Method...
    #4105772 - 04/28/05 03:53 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

So I've been thinking of a cheap,and decent Way of incubation without getting water all over your self.. I have many memory's of spilling water trying to get that damn incubator up and running, not to mention the problems Ive had with submersible heaters.. None the less, i don't know if this has been done or not, but i recently bought a compact refrigerator thermostat controlled, that can heat up to 140 degrees.. Mine has a digital temperature setting, as well as a humidity control,its small, stealth and portable as well,not to mention easily sterilized, and it only cost me $99 dollars.. But if that's not in your budget i saw compacts selling for as low as 50 - 60 range with heating capability's as well as humidity control.. SO far my 18 cakes are coming along just fine.. I'm not sure if this as an all in one deal, but when my jars are done colonizing I'm gonna put nine cakes in there adjust the humidity control, and see if it works.. so far things are looking wonderful.. The place you can find them are on the net.. sears, Walmart and I'm sure many other places here's a link to one site http://www.nextag.com/Koolatron-Compact-Refrigerators--zz2700411zKoolatronzB10z5---html
Anyway just thought might share that piece of information ill tell you how it turns out..
Later

Edited by CaptainCrunch (04/28/05 03:58 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: New Incubation Method... [Re: CaptainCrunch]
    #4105787 - 04/28/05 04:07 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

nice...good luck with that.

but I'll stick with my Tub In Tub's...I have several that have worked for over 3 years without any problems.

I have 6 of them...they stack nicely.

If you buy quality submersible aquarium heaters like Ebo Jager...you don't have problems.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #4105788 - 04/28/05 04:07 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

It's not a bad idea but you can build a tit with one of these heaters for less then 60 bucks.

Incubator set up.

1. First thing get your bottom tub and put in your heater. I also add a water pump to mix the water that way it heats up much more evenly but it isn?t a necessary item. I got the tape from a boat shop and it has been working for some time. Good stuff for underwater.

2. Next put something (I used tall half pints) in each corner of the tub. This will keep the heater and pump safe from being smashed if I put in to many jars or do something stupid.

3. Now be sure to set the heater before you put on the top tub. I attach the top tub with zip ties cause the top tub will want to float.

4. Add the water. I like to add as much water as I can before it starts to spill out.

5. If you use the heaters with the external controls set them now to get ready for the jars. Mine use a dial and a sensor that gives the temp inside the chamber rather then the water. It also has a metal bulb rather then a glass one.

6. Finished

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: New Incubation Method... [Re: Magash]
    #4105795 - 04/28/05 04:18 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Very nice. Great for people who are no good at diy. The bain maries work well but serve no other purpose to many. If you only grow shrooms once a year this mini fridge can be used for your beer etc. It will also look far more inconspicuous than most DIY setups. WIll be very intersting to see if the humidity works well.
You can get battery powered baby glow lights which you could stick in side for your lighting.

--------------------
support the free spore ring http://fsre.nl/

OfflineCaptainCrunch

Re: New Incubation Method... [Re: Magash]
    #4105796 - 04/28/05 04:18 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I think the main reason i like the refrigerator set up, is because it just might be a all in one solution(once test it ill know for sure).. meaning i could birth and incubate in there.. And this method also applys to the newbie as well, he/she wouldn't have to go and search around to find the equipment.. for instance go to sears buy the refrigerator and the 1/2 pint jars etc.. then go to a garden place find the vermiculite.. and to Kroger's brf..

Edited by CaptainCrunch (04/28/05 04:23 AM)

OfflineCaptainCrunch

#4105815 - 04/28/05 04:37 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Actually,for light i plan on replacing the light that was in there with a black light.. I'm going to go to Lowe's or some or a similar store to see what i can find.. i had to take the little light out of there it turns on and off when you open/close

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4105898 - 04/28/05 06:16 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Having the light already is perfect! Why replace it with a black one? The wiring should be easy to fix so it stays on all the time.

--------------------

OfflineTrip_Messiah
شځﯓﭽﮡ
 User Gallery

Loc: Bowels of the under earth
    #4106156 - 04/28/05 10:28 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Which one did you get? The one on the top of the list that is for $100? I see it has a digital thermometer.

--------------------
TRIP Messiah

Sexy Devil Entertainment

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: New Incubation Method... [Re: Trip_Messiah]
    #4106366 - 04/28/05 11:51 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Does it say what humidity levels it controls too. I hear veggies like high and fruit low.

--------------------

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

Re: New Incubation Method... [Re: blackout]
    #4106402 - 04/28/05 12:04 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

why would you replace it with a black light the uv rays from the black light are what caoused the pf strain from what i here and thats why there is so meny aborts with that strain if you want light in your incubator with out initating pining i belive you want a red spectrem light as i belive that will alow the myc to grow with no chance of it pining but i could be worng just going off what little memerie i have left

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

Loc: close enough to get mysel...
Re: New Incubation Method... [Re: onetime]
    #4106423 - 04/28/05 12:11 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i dunno about the red light, but i've seen diver say that black light is bad.

so uh, you probably shouldn't use one :smile:

--------------------
Under his instruction, I taped drumsticks to his head and turned him into a sort of mummy, or perhaps a caterpiller in a cocoon. He remains this way for about three hours, making bizarre noises, pretending to be a new species that must learn to walk and talk and eat, etc. And he communicates with other life forms by way of the antennae on his head. Eventually we jam a tube from a waterbong into it's mouth and figure he's learned all he needs to know.

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: New Incubation Method... [Re: onetime]
    #4106588 - 04/28/05 12:54 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

onetime said:
why would you replace it with a black light the uv rays from the black light are what caoused the pf strain from what i here and thats why there is so meny aborts with that strain

actualy it caused a lot of odd mutations and sterility with many of the strains
that he was experimenting with at the time.

Quote:

if you want light in your incubator with out initating pining i belive you want a red spectrem light as i belive that will alow the myc to grow with no chance of it pining but i could be worng just going off what little memerie i have left

most mushrooms will pin from any visible light, even the red safe lights for darkroom work.

OfflineCaptainCrunch

Re: New Incubation Method... [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4107467 - 04/28/05 05:11 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I was kinda busy so i didn't respond... let me correct myself i didn't mean black light, i was referencing a florescent light( the kind you can buy at lowes).. The reason i took the light out, is because I'm in an incubation period so i don't need the light, plus it is a pretty strong light.. Humidity is digitally controlled up to 90%.. it can heat up to 140 degrees.. But i haven't tested the humidity like i said once there fully colonized i will.. keep you updated ill get pictures soon

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4107530 - 04/28/05 05:28 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

But surely the light turns off when the fridge is shut. When it is time for growth you can wire it up so it stays on when shut, no need to change it. No harm in it being strong, it will just add heat and in that case it will just trip the heating sooner since it is thermostatically controlled. If it gets too hot it will start the cooler! perfect setup.

--------------------

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

Re: New Incubation Method... [Re: blackout]
    #4108578 - 04/28/05 10:02 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

well those dark room lights are red but not red spectrem fluorescents witch look white to me but give a red spectrem i guess i think i read some that shrooms wont pin under redspectem lights could be wrong

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation