Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Elephant
    #4104540 - 04/27/05 10:19 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Has anybody seen this movie?

Why the hell are indie films boring, turgid, pretentious, and unwatchable?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Elephant [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4104545 - 04/27/05 10:20 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I did find it pretentious and pretty boring, but I thought its experimentation with narrative structure and the perspective of the camera was really interesting.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Elephant [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4104608 - 04/27/05 10:32 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

the perspective of the camera was really interesting.

Yeah, it was real interesting watching the backs of people's heads as they walked down the hall.  :smirk:

Also, what is up with that high school?  I never got to go outside and hang out on the lawn and goof off during the school day.  I never got to randomly walk the halls whenever I felt like it.  If my high school had been like that, maybe I would have enjoyed going to it.

Male

#4104621 - 04/27/05 10:34 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I definitely agree with you on the fakeness of the school.

What I meant by the camera was that I enjoyed things happening, and then happening in the background of other scenes. Like we'd be following one character, then as we followed another we'd see the previous scene play out int he background.

As someone who wants to be a filmmaker, I think I give a lot of movies more credit than they deserve simply because there's always something for me to learn from a movie, even the worst of them.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Elephant [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4104826 - 04/27/05 11:18 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

As someone who wants to be a filmmaker

Please don't make pedantic, esoteric, wannabe avante garde, pseudo-intellectual, pretentious, "I'm so sophisticated and you're not", and elitist movies. We don't need any more movies like this! Please tell your fellow film students to STOP making this drivel.

I suggest that you make movies where stuff blows up, the plots are simplistic, and women jiggle their breasts in front of the camera. Now that's art!

Male

#4104836 - 04/27/05 11:20 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

My plots will be simplistic because all I want is to tell good stories, something I think everyone is hungry for these days.

Women won't be naked and things won't be blown up until they absolutely need to be.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub