Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
Loc: oklahoma
first birthday questions
    #409958 - 10/01/01 08:41 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

i had my first birthday party about 5 days ago. i have 8 cakes in a rubbermaid terranium with perlite, my cakes are sitting on a wire mesh stand i propped so they wouldn't be sitting directly on the perlite. then i cased two cakes in straight verm and put it in a glass aquarium with perlite...

OK
first, when i put the cakes in the terranium the next day they all turned black, (freaked me out!), but now they have all turned back white and real fluffy and fuzzy...
is this normal?
second...
there are these real skinny, looks like roots from the mycelium, sticking out from the cakes and the casing...
are these the pinheads??
and third...
i looked in on the cakes in the rubbermaid terranium and saw i black speck on one of them. aupon closer inspection i discovered it was a GNAT!! i grabbed it with my fingers and removed it but are my cakes doomed now?
should i isolate the cake that i found the gnat on? or are they ok?
i spray with a 9 to 1 h202 solution and have h202 in the perlite.
any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
oh yeah i have a 60 watt flourescent light attached above both the terraniums for light, i have it on during the day and turn it off at night just so they know which way to grow.
thanx in advance!!

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Bob Marley

--------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Bob Marley

Remember, EGOISM is the beginning, the source, and the root of EVIL!

http://www.fanaticus.com/pf-tek.htm
http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/hongus.html

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Loc: Florida
Re: first birthday questions [Re: XAZIA]
    #410014 - 10/01/01 10:29 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I'm too new to help you with most of your questions, but I do have a little "bug" input. One of my first cakes was fostered out and when I visited the fully colonized (ready to birth) cake, the foster parents had allowed an earwick(sp?) to get in the cake. He saw it the day before I visited, so that bug had lived in the jar for at least 24 hours. I had him dig into the jar with a spoon, scoop at the invader and the area around him that looked as though it had been traveled thru....which was appx 1/4 of the colonized cake. The cake pinned nicely (especially since he was using a poor man's type terrarium) and I just weighed the dry product from that first flush. He got appx 2.5 grams dry. There is no visible sign of mold or dehydration, so it seems the invader did not damage.
Hope this helps. Maybe someone else can help you with the other ?'s.

Support the Free Spore Ring

--------------------
I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
Loc: oklahoma
    #410159 - 10/01/01 02:17 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

helllloooo...is there anybody out there????

Bob Marley

--------------------

Bob Marley

Remember, EGOISM is the beginning, the source, and the root of EVIL!

http://www.fanaticus.com/pf-tek.htm
http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/hongus.html

Offlinekingkc
enthusiast
 User Gallery
    #410178 - 10/01/01 02:42 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

First of all I find it hard to believe that the cakes turned all black and then turned all white. Maybe you were hallucinating. As for the gnat being picked off .. well you should be ok. You can not miss pins: they look like small bumps and then tey start to enlarge. They actually more swell up. Sort of like a balloon being blown up.
Keep the fresh air coming and the humidity nice and 80 percentish and light at least 8 hrs.
Good luck.

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #410279 - 10/01/01 04:20 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Spray your terrarium lid with Raid.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract