Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
I'm so stressed out...
    #4102168 - 04/27/05 11:41 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

...and it's having a toll on my body as well as my mind. The muscles directly above and behind my ear are really tense and are getting very sore. My neck and back are just aching. I have gotten little or no sleep in the past few nights...

I can't think straight even though I have all this homework to finish. I have some crazy friends who are into some wierd shit and their interests are always tugging on my life it seems like... I have a job interview later today and I'm extremely nervous about that, heck just writing this is making my headache worse.

Does anyone know any mental exercises that I could do to relax my mind? I know how to meditate but I need complete silence for that, and it's noisy in the lab. Just something you might to do make yourself keep going, focus on the job that needs to get done, and not stress out about... well, being stressed out. Any thoughts?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
Re: I'm so stressed out... [Re: SWEDEN]
    #4102429 - 04/27/05 01:18 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Look into midfullness based stress reduction (MBSR). It's basicly an integrated form of meditation that centers around the Buddhist concept of "mindfullness" or "being in the moment". It's pretty much the same concept as meditation but learning to use it in waking, walking, daily reality. Some people prefer MBSR over other forms of meditation because it' non dogmatic and applies more practically to the modern lifestyle. I'm no expert in teaching MBSR so you might do better to do some research of your own on MBSR.

A few pointers that work for me.
Remember to breath at all cost. Take in a deep breath before reacting or responding to someone, no hurry. Think "calm". If you feel stressed then step back, wipe your mind of thoughts, focus on your breath, close your eyes, breath deeply - release slowly. With eyes closed cover your eyes with the palms of your hands for 30 seconds. Breath some more, exhale slowly, focus on your breath. If you start to feel stressed then force yourself to take a break. Relax. Focus on something other than work/school, take a moment to appreciate what's around you. Appreciate the breez, appreciate a plant, appreciate a nice car, etc... Pay attention to what your body and senses tell you. If you feel tension in a part of your body then focus on relaxing your body and focus more intently on relaxing that part. Take a bath instead of a shower. Tell your friends to go without you; you've got things to take care of. If you feel pressured by people then flat out tell them no; you can always change your mind after deliberating.

Hope this helps...and look into MBSR or other forms of walking meditation, etc...

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Re: I'm so stressed out... [Re: Mobius_Strip]
    #4102510 - 04/27/05 01:44 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Ahhh... thank you for the advice.  I am sufficiently calmed down now.  Once today is over I know I will be fine, I just need some wine and a bowl to relax once I get home... That MBSR technique looks interesting, I will def. check it out once I have more time.

:thanx:

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4102738 - 04/27/05 03:05 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

A simple breathing technique can help you. Like, 5 in , hold 5, and breath out for 5 or more. Breathing in adds energy and breathing out slow and long relaxes the body. Anyone can do this and benifit. You don't need a spiritual practice. :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleAdden
David Reishi Fan Club
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Amongst the Dunes
    #4104249 - 04/27/05 09:21 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I dunno if this is gonna make any sense, but when I get real stressed out / pissed, I 'hit' an abort button and just stop giving a shit about everything. Cools me right down in less than 2 seconds.

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #4104521 - 04/27/05 10:14 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i've been really stressed out lately as well

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #4105897 - 04/28/05 06:14 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

also doing something that will take your mind off everything stressfull is a good idea. Exercising, dancing, playing an instrument or playing a game can help you take your mind off things and relax. You'll just have to figure out what workes best for you.

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Re: I'm so stressed out... [Re: stefan]
    #4106463 - 04/28/05 12:25 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Sex, thats what I need...

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being